daily vitamins/supplements

jhsfive

Outstanding Mutha****er
So, I'm looking at pretty much overhauling my diet and daily intake and thought I'd ask what daily supplement(s) you guys take.

I'm currently only taking a multivitamin(centrum, mens) and a fish oil softgel(Opt Nutrition 180mg epa/120mg DHA).

Do you have any other items that you recommend or suggest that I stop anything im currently taking?

I'm 36 y/o 6'4, 240 lbs

thanks in advance

King Hippo

Star Player
I take vitamins, fish oil, probiotics and enzymes. A lot of what you take depends on what your trying to address health wise. I feel like those 4 cover most of the basics.

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
My family doesn't have good heart history on either side so I take a decent amount of heart friendly supplements.

multi
fish oil
500mg vitamin C
2 81 mg baby aspirins
curcumin
citrus bergamot (lowers ldl and triglycerides, raises hdl)
ubiquinol
5,000 iu vit d
astaxanthin

Dirt27

Cage Bomb Hero
Always in the minority...as long as you eat a healthy, balanced diet and do not have a deficiency/any deficiencies caused by a medical condition then save your money, you will not need any vitamins or supplements.

wcoastsoftball

Always in the minority...as long as you eat a healthy, balanced diet and do not have a deficiency/any deficiencies caused by a medical condition then save your money, you will not need any vitamins or supplements.
I agree, though I see no problem with experimenting (with proper research). I like to try different herbs, vitamins and such to see if there is a difference. Usually there isn't.

scottydoesnt

Extra Hitter

I couldn't politely disagree more. A *good* multi-vitamin is a very cheap way to fill any deficiencies in your diet. Which even the healthiest of diets will have. Is it necessary ? Maybe not. Does it hurt you ? No. So why do people try and stop others from taking them ? Never makes sense to me. Also, have you priced a "healthy, balanced diet" lately ? Multi vitamins are a drop in the bucket.

The only other pills I take are Vitamin D3 because of the lack of sun here in the Northern states, and fish oil. If you are trying to lose weight, you could add CLA and L-Carnitine, but they aren't necessary. I don't like bashing supplements, because many people use them as motivation. It makes you feel like you are accomplishing something towards your goal. Kind of like giving a dog a treat for sitting, laying down, and rolling over. :)

wcoastsoftball

I couldn't politely disagree more. A *good* multi-vitamin is a very cheap way to fill any deficiencies in your diet. Which even the healthiest of diets will have. Is it necessary ? Maybe not. Does it hurt you ? No. So why do people try and stop others from taking them ? Never makes sense to me. Also, have you priced a "healthy, balanced diet" lately ? Multi vitamins are a drop in the bucket.

The only other pills I take are Vitamin D3 because of the lack of sun here in the Northern states, and fish oil. If you are trying to lose weight, you could add CLA and L-Carnitine, but they aren't necessary. I don't like bashing supplements, because many people use them as motivation. It makes you feel like you are accomplishing something towards your goal. Kind of like giving a dog a treat for sitting, laying down, and rolling over. :)

I would disagree that it is necessary to take a multi. Sure, I take one, and prefer liquid multi's. But, a good diet will make it very hard for one to become deficient in nutrients, vits and minerals.

One could expect to pay $25-40 for a good vitamin monthly. Is that a lot? Maybe not. But if your food bill is lacking or your shopping cart is lacking of whole nutritious foods, then research and time spend organizing your food intake is much more important than figuring out what multi or sup to take.

scottydoesnt

Extra Hitter
If you're paying $25-40/month for a multi, you're a fool. AST Multi Pro 32x 200 capsule (100 day supply) is $26. So that comes out to be like $8.75/month. Still wanna try and tell me it isn't worth it ? I also never said it was necessary though, but for that price, why would you not ? My health matters, and I probably have one of the healthiest diets here. Yet I still take a multi. Does that make me better or healthier than anyone ? Nope.

rlopezjr1977

King EUUUUPPPPP
Vitamin Shoppe Multi Vitamin
Vitamin Shoppe B-12
Vitamin Shoppe- Vitamin D
Vitamin Shoppe- Potassium/Magnesium- huge help with muscles and dehydration
Fish Oil

LngBallLvr

Addicted to Softballfans

Make sure you get plenty of vitamin BS because that is what the supplement companies promote. Also, excess viitamins can definitely hurt you. If you take them, you better know exactly what you are doing.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/04/150420182403.htm

"When we first tested dietary supplements in animal models we found that the results were promising," says Byers. "Eventually we were able to move on to the human populations. We studied thousands of patients for ten years who were taking dietary supplements and placebos."

The results were not what they expected.

"We found that the supplements were actually not beneficial for their health. In fact, some people actually got more cancer while on the vitamins," explains Byers.

Drumbum37

Addicted to Softballfans
Carnitine is useless unless you're deficient...and the vast majority that are deficient are obese.

dafox

Fox in Socks
Carnitine is useless unless you're deficient...and the vast majority that are deficient are obese.

Where did you hear this?

Plenty of good studies on LCLT

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12930169

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20045157

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11788381

Cliffs:

Data supports the use of LCLT as a recovery supplement for hypoxic exercise and lend further insights into the hormonal mechanisms that may help to mediate quicker recovery.
Supplementation can reduce chemical damage to tissues after exercise and optimize the processes of muscle tissue repair and remodeling.
Data indicates that LCLT supplementation is effective in assisting recovery from high-repetition squat exercise.

Last edited:

Hannyy

Addicted to Softballfans
Multi
Fish Oil (go liquid - better absorption, much more concentrated, no horse pills, no fish burps and nowadays it is practically taste-less)
D3
Taurine
lots of H2O

Drumbum37

Addicted to Softballfans
Carnitine info comes from my exercise biochemistry textbook and class. It was referring to endurance and fat loss thru beta oxidation though, not specifically for strength. So I guess I should have made that clear.

Nietzsche

Drowned God
Make sure you get plenty of vitamin BS because that is what the supplement companies promote. Also, excess viitamins can definitely hurt you. If you take them, you better know exactly what you are doing.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/04/150420182403.htm

"When we first tested dietary supplements in animal models we found that the results were promising," says Byers. "Eventually we were able to move on to the human populations. We studied thousands of patients for ten years who were taking dietary supplements and placebos."

The results were not what they expected.

"We found that the supplements were actually not beneficial for their health. In fact, some people actually got more cancer while on the vitamins," explains Byers.

What vitamins did they specifically track. Bc beta carotene is what was listed as well as folic acid. What form of folic acid--was it synthetic? What dosages? What about the control groups how exactly was this study conducted, tracked and monitored.

Did they account into the study prior health history, environmental inputs, genetic leanings, current diet?

It doesn't appear at first glance to be a comprehensive study.

Nietzsche

Drowned God
Pure encapsulations Ultra pure pack
Innate Flora 50-14 clinical strength
Nordic Naturals Pro Omega 2k IU
Pure Encapsulations Curcumasorb

evergain26

Addicted to Softballfans
I am with a few of these other gents in saying that a good multi doesn't hurt. If I haven't eaten a well rounded diet on a certain day I take a shot of a liquid vitamin made primarily from greens and fruits to include some grasses. If you aren't in the sun a ton, a good Vitamin D supplement may be in order as well. Vitamin D is hard to get in a diet unless you are drinking the s**t out of egg yolks, eating a pound of cheese daily or eating fatty fish twice a day! Make sure to get your carbs in especially if you are active. More important than most let on. And getting them in the 12 oz form is not what i'm saying!

KangarooNokona

Kangabilly
multi
calcium
vitamin c/e
coq10
zinc
folic
lycopene
fiber
fish oil
chromium
L-carnitine/arginine when i got some extra cash

*C/E, folic, zinc, and coq are taken for fertility issues mostly (i have a borderline fragmentation and studies shown it helps improve it and with the wifey wanting a baby...) and since my diet is almost repetitive i feel it helps me get micro's i might not get during my cut.