DD and my homemade drop ball rig

thejuggster

Dying of WTP Disease
Been wanting to make one of these for years but never got around to getting all the parts. DD and I grabbed couple 2x4's, nails, 4" PVC and some tools and went to town. We have been trying to get her hand speed a lil quicker. Drop ball good easy drill to do that.

I got the idea from a Joe Mauer interview on ESPN. His dad made him one, when he was young. He actually endorses one made by Skilz.

I tried it out myself but at 6'1" I am a little too tall for it, by the time was able to contact the ball it was usually 6"-12" off the floor.

[ame=http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a78/thejuggster/VID_20141028_195450_517_zpsgdv3ffts.mp4]
th_VID_20141028_195450_517_zpsgdv3ffts.mp4
[/ame][ame=http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a78/thejuggster/VID_20141028_200025_188_zpsj0v72egz.mp4]
th_VID_20141028_200025_188_zpsj0v72egz.mp4
[/ame]

fierce_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
not able to watch vid at work, but is there any reason you can't just raise it a foot to compensate for your height?

obagain

Dr. bats are for wimps
Why not cut small channel the length of the pipe so you can actually see the ball?
I know you want to increase hand speed but it would seem to me that seeing the ball would still give you time to load as if a real pitch were coming in but since it is a short distance you wouldn't have much time.
Maybe even drill holes about 6 inches apart.

obagain

Dr. bats are for wimps
I would also put an adjustment foot on the back legs or to the pipe so once she has that speed down you could lift the pipe and make the ball come out faster.
Or adjust it at different times so she has to adjust her speed.

thejuggster

Dying of WTP Disease
for the mean time I adjust the speed by dropping the ball harder. I can also adjust the angled end tube certain ways to increase or decrease speed. I just need good day with some beer and time to make some adjustments.

I think the concept of the rig is not to see the ball and react to the ball coming out of the tube. The Skliz one has a clear end tube so the batter can see it. But I will take all ideas in affect thanks

Pheonix51

Addicted to Softballfans
The original was made by Mauers' Dad and was marketed as the Mauer QuickSwing. Look up old Softball360 videos and you'll see it.

SKLZ took it from them, so not so much endorsement, rather continued use of the name.

Leave the pipe closed. It is all about reaction and hand speed.