Do people...

MP33

Addicted to Softballfans
First off ive never had a bat rolled and I don't really care for it either way but Why is rolling a bat considered cheating? It just speeds up the break in process right? I can't really see it making the bat that much hotter for it to be considered cheating, I just see it as a quick break in process for people that don't have time to put 500 Bp swings in their bat to get it game ready.

I don't think rolling a bat is cheating. It's not an unfair advantage

It is cheating, and does provide an unfair advantage.

Case in point, team I was on when OG Freaks were legal in ASA, had 2 of them, both 26 oz, both first batch. One was rolled, the other wasn't, the one that wasn't rolled had more hits on it than the rolled one, and the one that was rolled was consistently 20-30 feet further than the one that wasn't.

Hacksaw34

Addicted to Softballfans
No, its not as bad as shaving.

Is a married dude getting a blowjob from his secretary as bad as ****ing her 10 times in the back of the family van? Its still cheating.

Very well put. I don't really give a **** about other people rolling bats. I just think they are lazy. I'm more afraid of the guy that has taken the time to break in his bat with BP because he is generally going to be a better hitter because of it

oppositefield85

Addicted to Softballfans
Has it always been illegal? I thought in last years rules it wasn't mentioned. Only shaving and bat warmers i thought i saw

toddjohan

Addicted to Softballfans
How about a big 'who cares'. It's just slow pitch softball bros. Cheat or don't cheat...it pays the same at the end of the day.

Salamander

Manager
It also breaks in the bat further than it will through normal bat-ball collisions (you won't generate the same force with your swing as you can with a roller), though it's not necessarily by a massive amount. However, you're also breaking in areas of the bat that would not get broken in with BP, such as by the endcap and taper.

If someone doesn't have time to put 500 swings on a bat to break it in...maybe they should be looking at getting a different bat?

Ok that makes more sense now. So hitting your bat against a tree or bowling ball to break it in further than any normal bat-ball collision. Imo, It dosnt really matter if it's illegal or not because it's not like any umpire will be able to point out a rolled bat compared to a non rolled bat.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
You should get a 2 year ban for that stupid analogy.

I know you are a retard but you do realize that the ASA rule book says that hitting non ASA approved balls make a bat illegal right? Not all altered bats are created equal

Last edited:

DemPhenom

I know you are a retard but you do realize that the ASA rule book says that hitting non ASA approved balls make a bat illegal right?

Retard is such a strong word. Why the butthurt? If you are trying to call me unintelligent, actually you are.

Stop using slippery slope argument. Wait are you going to use the changing your grip argument too? That's always a good one.

People always resort to name calling when someone disagrees with them, it shows how unintelligent they are.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
Retard is such a strong word. Why the butthurt? If you are trying to call me unintelligent, actually you are.

Stop using slippery slope argument. Wait are you going to use the changing your grip argument too? That's always a good one.

People always resort to name calling when someone disagrees with them, it shows how unintelligent they are.

So then your position is rolling a bat is altering so its just as bad as shaving a bat?

Resin Glazed

The Veteran
First off ive never had a bat rolled and I don't really care for it either way but Why is rolling a bat considered cheating? It just speeds up the break in process right? I can't really see it making the bat that much hotter for it to be considered cheating, I just see it as a quick break in process for people that don't have time to put 500 Bp swings in their bat to get it game ready.

No way you can get the same break in from just BP compared to rolling it. Rolling it allows the entire bat to break in evenly, BP can't.

select_22

The Veteran
cheating is cheating, if you are gonna do it, go big or go home. but yes rolling is as bad as shaving why? because both are considered cheating. BP ftw. I cant tell you how many people i have known that bought a shaved bat and thought they were gonna drop bombs at will, pop ups all season. rolling will change people mentality also because they "should" be able to hit harder/further with it.

DegoGiantsFan48

Addicted to Softballfans
cheating is cheating, if you are gonna do it, go big or go home. but yes rolling is as bad as shaving why? because both are considered cheating. BP ftw. I cant tell you how many people i have known that bought a shaved bat and thought they were gonna drop bombs at will, pop ups all season. rolling will change people mentality also because they "should" be able to hit harder/further with it.

Couldn't be further from the truth. Swinging a rolled bat shouldn't make the batter think they'll be an all star by hitting it. It just makes a bat game ready without the months of BP.

cyoung187

Coach
Couldn't be further from the truth. Swinging a rolled bat shouldn't make the batter think they'll be an all star by hitting it. It just makes a bat game ready without the months of BP.

Why do you do it if it creates no advantage? Its illegal, cheating, and you are a cheater for doing it. Quit trying to justify it. Its just getting sad.

jf2k4

<font color="#3300FF">Outstanding Good Dealer</fon
I use this method verse using a roller when I get a new bat

1. Take the wrapper off
2. Have a cold adult beverage
3. Drop bombs

Since the majority of new bats require no break in period and rolling it is just shortening the life of tje bat.

Captain10

E skills playing D Ball
Very well put. I don't really give a **** about other people rolling bats. I just think they are lazy. I'm more afraid of the guy that has taken the time to break in his bat with BP because he is generally going to be a better hitter because of it

Excellent point.

Oh, and rolling a bat is cheating

Laoch

Bearded. Drunk. Dominant.
It's in the rule book, however I don't agree that it should be.
So it's cheating according to the association, but not to me.
It's no where near as bad as shaving.

I have never held or uses any bat that wasn't stock. I am, however, becoming tired of breaking in bats with bp.

JJF13

Addicted to Softballfans
Are you serious with this, How can you legally roll a bat? It illegal in every association.

You can legally roll a bat. If you put the bat in a roller bag and wheel the bag to the field are you not essentially rolling the bat :D

LuckyMatthews

#SelfProclaimedEastonGuru
If you roll just about anything composite with an ASA stamp made after 2011 you will be very sad after about 50 swings....unless you are really that weak sauce, the outer shell should be coming off in triangle pieces by then.

strength

Extra Hitter
If you've ever hit a shaved bat

Than you would know that it absolutely insane compared to a stock bat. It's honestly scary at the difference in velocity and trajectory.

A shaved bat is going to kill someone eventually.

Personally I have no issues if someone wants to use a rolled bat. It breaks the bat in faster and better. whoopdeedooo... I really don't care.

Both are against the rules.

to answer the OP's question. Shaving is not even in the same stratosphere as rolling

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you've ever hit a shaved bat

Than you would know that it absolutely insane compared to a stock bat. It's honestly scary at the difference in velocity and trajectory.

A shaved bat is going to kill someone eventually.

Personally I have no issues if someone wants to use a rolled bat. It breaks the bat in faster and better. whoopdeedooo... I really don't care.

Both are against the rules.

to answer the OP's question. Shaving is not even in the same stratosphere as rolling

How is it not? A university lab test shows that it breaks a bat in beyond the legal limits, so both methods make the bat hotter than the legal limit. Sounds like the same neighborhood to me. What your saying is equivalent to saying, my bats shaved, but the doctor isn't as good as this other guy so it's okay.

Because I'm a glutton for punishment, I'll say it again. The main stress of rolling isn't where the roller contacts the bat. The bat is never compressed on two opposite sides during a swing. That is the part that can never be duplicated during bp, and that is the stress that makes it illegal. It's like when you squeeze a pop can, then squeeze the opposites sides to pop it back out, and then go back and forth like that till the can splits. It doesn't split where you were pressing down, it splits on the side between where you were applying pressure.