Double wall or Single wall?

Bromo32

Pirates of the Palms
Just joined a metal bag league and we can swing any metal but titanium. What's the pros and cons of double wall vs single wall? Also any bat suggestion?

bird25

34/30 Club #25
Typically the double wall will have a bigger sweetspot.

I personally swing a pst, but they are not for everybody . Smallish sweetspot and heavy endload for the most part

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League
Typically the double wall will have a bigger sweetspot.

I personally swing a pst, but they are not for everybody . Smallish sweetspot and heavy endload for the most part

Your right on the PST. If you can master it you have a great bat to hit with. That heavy end load had a great feel to it and supplied plenty of power.

Double wall will outperform a single wall. Not sure about the current bats but I had very good luck with the Demarini F series bats. Worth EST's were good performers also.

jayb-223

Coach
I am in the same situation. We will be hitting the Classic M .40/325. Any bat suggestions for that ball? Leaning towards picking up an F series.

east bay j

The Polish Hammer
Yeah all these are going to work great
Worth EST's (<2003)
Older Anderson RocketTecks (2-piece endloaded) & Techzillas (one piece balanced) pre-2008
Demarini F Series, Doublewall Distance, White/Raw Steels (singlewalls)
Older Easton Connexions (STZ-1, STZ-2, Trishell), L8.0

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
Yeah all these are going to work great
Worth EST's (<2003)
Older Anderson RocketTecks (2-piece endloaded) & Techzillas (one piece balanced) pre-2008
Demarini F Series, Doublewall Distance, White/Raw Steels (singlewalls)
Older Easton Connexions (STZ-1, STZ-2, Trishell), L8.0

I agree w JJ but really the only reason I like aany of the earlier is the anodized finish. I have late model RTs and TZs and they do hit as well ad maybe better on 52 core. Can you use composite handle bats?

jayb-223

Coach
We can use composite handles. Are all Demarini double walls relatively the same performance? From research on here it appears that the all the F series are relatively the same. I have used a B52 but haven't since we switched from the .44/400. We can use Utrip metals as well.

BTW300

Addicted to Softballfans
We can use composite handles. Are all Demarini double walls relatively the same performance? From research on here it appears that the all the F series are relatively the same. I have used a B52 but haven't since we switched from the .44/400. We can use Utrip metals as well.

I feel that the newer F series, the F6, F7, and F8 (which I believe are the same) perform better then the older F5.

jayb-223

Coach
What would be really cool to see is a ranking system for all the non-composite bats. Including all the Utrip and non-ASA approved bats but not the titanium bats. I know that would be difficult to do because of personal preference, but would still be good to see a general list. Including bats like all the PSTs, ESTs, Demarini double walls, Andersons, TPSs, Easton Tri-zones, CV12s and Salvos. I know there are a lot of bats to consider but some of you metal heads could surely come up with a rankings list.

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League
It can be done by downloading the ASA approved bat list. I did it once to list just slowpitch bats. It is a little work but if someone was good at spreadsheets it shouldn't be a big chore as all the bats are marked S or M for the metal bats.

east bay j

The Polish Hammer
What would be really cool to see is a ranking system for all the non-composite bats. Including all the Utrip and non-ASA approved bats but not the titanium bats. I know that would be difficult to do because of personal preference, but would still be good to see a general list. Including bats like all the PSTs, ESTs, Demarini double walls, Andersons, TPSs, Easton Tri-zones, CV12s and Salvos. I know there are a lot of bats to consider but some of you metal heads could surely come up with a rankings list.

Way too many variable to consider. I did this with a number of singlewalls a while back and the variability is all over the place. Swing preference, type of hitting, type of ball and outside temperatures are going to be a way more important factors in deciding what bat you hit best. It's not like any one multiwall metal bat is magically going to hit the ball 20-30 ft farther than the others. This definitely may be the case when comparing ****ty singlewall bats to multiwall bats, or multiwall bats to composite bats but within the multiwall bat community all these bats are going to be in the same ballpark (all things being equal)

Last edited:

bird25

34/30 Club #25
So are double walls gonna usually give more distance than a single wall?

A doublewall will give a bigger more forgiving sweetspot , so more balls will go far.:thumb:

Pure distance imho is better with a single wall but consistency is lacking

DUNNY51

Addicted to Softballfans
If legal the Easton L8 (CV12) is a great metal bat. Demarini steel bats are good but I could never swing them. also OG Rockettechs. TPS XXL Hybrid is decent too

jayb-223

Coach
Way too many variable to consider. I did this with a number of singlewalls a while back and the variability is all over the place. Swing preference, type of hitting, type of ball and outside temperatures are going to be a way more important factors in deciding what bat you hit best. It's not like any one multiwall metal bat is magically going to hit the ball 20-30 ft farther than the others. This definitely may be the case when comparing ****ty singlewall bats to multiwall bats, or multiwall bats to composite bats but within the multiwall bat community all these bats are going to be in the same ballpark (all things being equal)

It is time to continue :bigok:

east bay j

The Polish Hammer
It is time to continue :bigok:

Haha
I'll make it easy on you--I got a nice 2000 EST5 Supercell (goldy) non-recert calling your name. That is the bat you need to get. Also got a really nice 2005 FP Rockettech 34" scale weight 27 ounce. These are the bats I'd use in a multiwall league and they can be yours.

But seriously, for me personally I prefer a 2007 or earlier Rocketech if I'm going endloaded, Techzilla if I'm going balanced. I just really really like the old Andersons. From there I'd take an old EST or Demarini. For some odd reason I just do not like the Raw/White Steels but I am definitely in the minority there (I know guys that can hit these as far as some composites). That and they just seem to dent real easy.

But that's just me.

FYI-Post number 54 in this thread gives my breakdown on some singlewalls; 7 bats test by 7 different rec leagu players of varying skill levels & hitting preferences:
http://forums.softballfans.com/showthread.php?t=1413852

east bay j

The Polish Hammer
If legal the Easton L8 (CV12) is a great metal bat. Demarini steel bats are good but I could never swing them. also OG Rockettechs. TPS XXL Hybrid is decent too

Yeah that Easton L8.0 & it's dad the Salvo Scandium SP12SVM are great bats but a lot of leagues ban them because of the composite inner core. Silly LD's, if they are listed as ASA multiwall they should be GTG.

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
As far as double walls out hitting single walls, all metal version are definitely yes but when you go to composite handle and add a ferouse metal into the barrel mix this changes and really depends on your swing, the ball, temps and personal preference. The Demarini Raw Steel, Anderson RocketFlex , Anderson FlexZilla are great double wall, composite handle bats. I myself would use an Nanotek Omega, EL composite handle with some of dat FE in the barrel. But thats just me and I cant swing for power and have seen other rip the ball for distance with the RocketFlex.

JJ, what is this "2000 EST5 Supercell (goldy)" you refer to?

These ESTs hit quite well, I WOULD USE IF i PLAYED ANY DOUBLE WALL LEAGUES, SLIGHT EDGe FOR ME TO THE RTs BUT THEN AGAIN I AM A BIT PREJUDICED, LO

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
Anyone ever swing this monster, it feels like it was made for a lumberjack, but it u can whip it, it kills the ball!

2003 EST WS23 Endload - RED
ESTWS23E.jpg

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
JOKER (banned user?) if u have anything to add please feel free to pass along through some one you talk to, you are still the raining expert, **** the ban hammer need good input on this please?

Last edited:

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
Just another thought, recently was trying to help a bro find a league to play in since "The Yard" is closed here in So Cal. Only option was a league supplied bat that no one liked (including me). I think if you did swing your own metal you would get better participation, especially in the over 40 crowd.
WOW look at me talking like a 40 year old, LOL.

jayb-223

Coach
Thanks for the offer east bay j, I may take you up on that sometime. Is there any performance difference between the new double walls and the old? Or are they all relatively the same?

east bay j

The Polish Hammer
...JJ, what is this "2000 EST5 Supercell (goldy)" you refer to?

2000 EST5 (supercell) - GOLD

Thanks for the offer east bay j, I may take you up on that sometime. Is there any performance difference between the new double walls and the old? Or are they all relatively the same?

I would say they are relatively the same. Some newer models use a composite handle/metal barrel and are going to swing a little different then their all metal counterparts but I would not say they perform better, especially with the 52 core softballs. In the 44 core softball days I believe the theory behind using a composite handle was to give the bat more flex for a better "whip action". With the 52 core softballs most people will argue that you want a stiffer handle (This is a very simplified summary).

JJ