12 Henry Castor 39 89-160 63 13 3 21 7.143 68 10 0.556
13 Brandon Jonas 46 78-143 48 8 1 0 0.000 31 18 0.545
14 BRANDON BELLAMY 47 93-172 66 22 2 15 10.600 63 13 0.541
15 Ben Cosgrove 43 73-145 53 12 1 16 8.688 60 6 0.503
16 Patrick Foster 2 4-8 2 1 0 0 0.000 1 1 0.500
17 Jason Gardner 21 28-63 23 10 0 2 30.500 25 2 0.444

jrxp

Pull side Judy
That's an A conference team. If u hitting .750 ur on resmondo or smash it. Or ur playing teeeeball

TRaj2327

Or don't have the time, energy, money, lifestyle, connections, or defensive skills to play the conference. Also may not even know that upper level softball even exists.

Last edited:

TRaj2327

those guys are going against great defensive players too though, it's not Joe Sixpack at shortstop

Good point. And good pitchers that can pitch effectively to their defense. Also consider that these guys all play 5-man defenses whereas the majority of leagues across the country are playing in a traditional 4/4

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd never thought of missing the cut off as a strategy Fro, but you're exactly right. I hate that for two reasons though. One, they yell "they're throwing doubles" and it makes me feel like I'm on a bobo team and it fires the opponents up to ridicule us. Two, the next guy hits a grounder at least once a game that would be an easy out at second had they kept the force on, but it gets bobbled or he beats it out and now everyone's safe.

sjury

The Old Man
I'd never thought of missing the cut off as a strategy Fro, but you're exactly right. I hate that for two reasons though. One, they yell "they're throwing doubles" and it makes me feel like I'm on a bobo team and it fires the opponents up to ridicule us. Two, the next guy hits a grounder at least once a game that would be an easy out at second had they kept the force on, but it gets bobbled or he beats it out and now everyone's safe.

Runner on second, and a base hit, I throw to the pitcher. Pitcher cuts it off and hopefully you catch the guy going to second. Because the runner thinks it's going home. It used to work real good on rec teams and tourney teams, but guys aren't stretching it as much anymore, or they've caught on...lol.

Still, we play slowpitch softball. The batter needsto make a mistake or he's on base. You can do whatever shift you want, play a five man, and throw whatever pitch you want. I get it's playing percentages, but it all comes down to the batter. I've seen a enough lefty shifts, and pitchers pitching high and tight and still the batter paints the left field line, over the years to know sometimes all the planning in the world doesn't mean anything, if the hitter can hit.

jrxp

Pull side Judy
Good point. And good pitchers that can pitch effectively to their defense. Also consider that these guys all play 5-man defenses whereas the majority of leagues across the country are playing in a traditional 4/4

Nobody plays 4 outfielders here. All 5 man from e rec to c class n north carolina

TRaj2327

I guarantee that isn't the case across the country, and I think we are mostly talking league nights here where the percentage of teams playing 4-man is even higher.

This would make an interesting poll though.

Big D

In the Batter's Box
That's an A conference team. If u hitting .750 ur on resmondo or smash it. Or ur playing teeeeball

I love this responce. The higher the level the less errors, more range, better defenses, and guys taking away hits. You may hit 750 in your rec league but hit 500 or less in competitive ball.

Last edited:

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
we play slowpitch softball. The batter needs to make a mistake or he's on base. <SNIP> I get it's playing percentages, but it all comes down to the batter. <SNIP> sometimes all the planning in the world doesn't mean anything, if the hitter can hit.

Yep - It's all about playing percentages - 'SOMETIMES' is the exact phrase to represent that approach - sometimes good hitters get out - sometimes good hitters hit anything you throw - The other nine players usually fall in the 'most times' category and it's those players that you need to target for outs...

Originally Posted by corndiggity -
The BEST thing an outfielder can do, is consistently get to the ball, quickly, and get it to an infielder. Nothing stops base runners better than an infielder with the ball.

If most outfielders would embrace & practice this concept, their value as a teammate would instantly double...

%%%

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.

I think the issue is guys take baseball strategy and apply it to softball. With 6 fewer outs to play with avoiding double plays is a bigger game changer in softball. Same goes for always taking a pitch. You watch the meatball then hope the bozo behind the plate doesn't call the next 13 footer a strike.

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League
"My arm/shoulder/elbow is sore, I better play catcher"

WHY? SO YOU CAN THROW THE BALL 100 TIMES IN AN HOUR?

Along with that a player says before game he can't play in the field but when at bat hits doubles and triples and runs like a deer.

Superstar555

Addicted to Softballfans
I think the issue is guys take baseball strategy and apply it to softball. Same goes for always taking a pitch. You watch the meatball then hope the bozo behind the plate doesn't call the next 13 footer a strike.

I agree with this 100% and I am guilty of what you describe. I find myself "taking one for the team" on 3-1 which then forces me to protect the plate (aka swinging at anything remotely close) on the subsequent 3-2 count which usually doesn't end well for me.

No more. I've decided that beginning next season I'm swinging at the first good pitch I see, regardless of count.

RC#13

Part Time Player
I played with a dude notorious for that..........Hit the ball jog to first, notice the bobble by the outfielder and then try to take two...Get thrown out. Halfass it from second to third, see the bobble and then try to score.......Get thrown out. Run hard, get a third of the way from third...........Drop it into low gear and not even look........The ball gets bobbled and he's stuck there.......I HATED WATCHING HIM ON THE BASES. IT GAVE ME HEARTBURN!!!!

Liar!!!!!!

RC#13

Part Time Player
This is not a strategy issue but it chaps my hide.....What about the guy/guys that show up 2 minutes to game time or are calling the manager telling him to put them in the line up they are on there way??!! That drives me insane. I know things happen and once in a while you are gonna be late but there are guys who make it a habit!! Please leave a little earlier from the pad and get to the park at least to warm up your arm!!

Houdini5150

Addicted to Softballfans
Put your slow ass guys in middle of lineup. But I guess it cool when youre the manager of the team and the other guy is your best friend. Hate that ****.

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans
Rover, against a veteran player.

I'm not much of a opposite field hitter but, if you do a big shift and plant a fielder 60' behind SS leaving right field unattended, my fat, old. slow ass if going to hit it to the right side.

TRaj2327

It can be done effectively but you either have to have a hitter that can only hit to one field or a pitcher that pitches to his defense very well. 5-man is still the way to go IMO if you are considering this alignment.

Boling16

6 Hole Shooter
How about thinking anything you do in any slowpitch game is actually a strategy? Everything is a guess. You can play everything right and pitch whatever pitch you want, and a good hitter will get on base. Outs are hitters mistakes, not because someone came up with some new strategy.

Best Strategy is to play the game, have fun, and drink beer.

yes i agree with this

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
Rover, against a veteran player.

I'm not much of a opposite field hitter but, if you do a big shift and plant a fielder 60' behind SS leaving right field unattended, my fat, old. slow ass if going to hit it to the right side.

And my fat white ass is gonna run over from RC and catch that ball on the fly u be out!

jaj23

Eye Baller
"My arm/shoulder/elbow is sore, I better play catcher"

WHY? SO YOU CAN THROW THE BALL 100 TIMES IN AN HOUR?

This reminds me of a tournament I played in in Roswell, NM when I was 14. I played catcher for a men's team the whole day and could barely throw the ball back to the pitcher by the end.

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
This is not a strategy issue but it chaps my hide.....What about the guy/guys that show up 2 minutes to game time or are calling the manager telling him to put them in the line up they are on there way??!! That drives me insane. I know things happen and once in a while you are gonna be late but there are guys who make it a habit!! Please leave a little earlier from the pad and get to the park at least to warm up your arm!!

I finally gave up and just started doing the line up as they arrived. Of course I batted first, LOL, unless Ronnie beat me there......

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans
And my fat white ass is gonna run over from RC and catch that ball on the fly u be out!

Oh hell no.

You be chasin that ball as it slices away from you and rolls toward the corner, swearing at me the whole time. I will wave and say "sorry dude" as we cross paths, running in opposite directions as I'm head to 2B. Then you will hurt you arm as you huck the ball in, tryin to hold me at 3B (which will be a wasted effort because there is no way I'm going any farther than 3B anyway unless you fall down or give up)

If it's any consolation, I will be on the verge of puking because I can't ****ing breathe.

I finally gave up and just started doing the line up as they arrived. Of course I batted first, LOL, unless Ronnie beat me there......

I used to do that a lot. When you show up, you sign the scorebook.

4spot

Star Player
We played a new team this year made up of young guys. They were playing a four man outfield and everything we hit found a gap or landed in front of them. During the second or third inning they moved their SS out and ran 5 outfielders. Even blue started laughing and said that's the dumbest thing he'd ever seen.

Last edited:

softballswag

agree

I totally agree with you , I don't find that strategy efficient at all, instead of worrying about the foul ball the should worry about the ball coming into play.

ryanclink

goes hard your way catch
Strategy - I hate when people come up and take strikes - a winning formula? yes but fun? Hell no.