Elliptical vs running

KangarooNokona

Kangabilly
Due to knee surgery I limit myself from running now and stick to a stationary bike, stair master, or elliptical. My question is I noticed a bigger difference in my mid section when I was running than I am on the elliptical even though I'm going for a longer period of time. Any bro science on why or if running is that much more effective? My diet is better now than it was when I did run so kind of wondering wtf is up lol

grubd

Banned User
When I run 3+ miles it is a hell of a lot harder than being on a elliptical for even an hour. I lose more weight running and my stomach becomes flatter than any cardio machines.

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
If you're going for fat loss you should be doing interval training regardless of what form of cardio you're doing.

BTW300

Addicted to Softballfans
If you're going for fat loss you should be doing interval training regardless of what form of cardio you're doing.

What would be a good example of interval training for fat loss? How far should I run and how much rest between runs? thanks.

mswiat

Addicted to Softballfans
Do you just go at a consistent pace on the elliptical? I find that if I vary the intensity either on my own, or with a pre-programmed mode that has intervals, I have better results. Sort of my lazy woman's way to interval train during the indoor months. Running (3+ miles) still seems to produce better results in general, but that could be from the differences in terrain.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
Trails are the best it is a natural interval. You could be running, walking , jogging or going up down hill.

Absolutely. I have several routes I run ranging from 2.3 miles to 5 miles. Some are loaded with hills, others are relatively flat. I'd much rather hit the road/trail than run on a treadmill. I'll do it, but I refuse to like it ;)

Back in the day, we did "interval" training on the cross country team, but we called them "Indian Runs" where everyone ran in a single file, guy in the back sprinted to the front, when he got there, the new back guy did the same. You just did that for 2 or 3 miles. Plus we did a lot of hills, including running up and down the back side of the steep wooded section approaching Bowman's Tower in Washington's Crossing. None of the fancy machine stuff.

mswiat

Addicted to Softballfans
Absolutely. I have several routes I run ranging from 2.3 miles to 5 miles. Some are loaded with hills, others are relatively flat. I'd much rather hit the road/trail than run on a treadmill. I'll do it, but I refuse to like it ;)

Back in the day, we did "interval" training on the cross country team, but we called them "Indian Runs" where everyone ran in a single file, guy in the back sprinted to the front, when he got there, the new back guy did the same. You just did that for 2 or 3 miles. Plus we did a lot of hills, including running up and down the back side of the steep wooded section approaching Bowman's Tower in Washington's Crossing. None of the fancy machine stuff.

I remember "Indian runs," we did those as well. Can't stand running on the treadmill!

Senek8

Addicted to Softballfans

Dude, 97 pounds???? That is awesome and an inspiration!!

KangarooNokona

Kangabilly

Indian runs were the devil during football. We did them the day after games in middle school and during summer for hs. We caught on though and did 2 fatties for every skinny and would have the fatties go extra slow running towards the front. One of the skinnies wanted to be a **** one day though and decided to haul ass to the front and then just keep going which caused a fatty to have to like run extra hard extra long in order to pass. Lets say when it was skinny's turn again one of the fatties straight shouldered him into the fence. They learned quick not to **** with hot and hungry heffers

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
As for elliptical machines, oddly enough, I find that they make my knees hurt. I know that they are supposed to be designed to be easier on the knees than running, but I'll be on one of those things for less than 5 minutes and my knees hurt enough to make me stop.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
Dude, 97 pounds???? That is awesome and an inspiration!!

Thanks, bro! Been hard work and I was certainly quite the "fatty". I'm hovering around where I want to be, but I'm thinking about that 100 pound mark, too ;)

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
Nok, try this on the elliptical. On the Precor efx set the angle to 8 the resistance to 8 set the time for 20 minutes set the speed meter for steps per minute. Now start our at like 160 spm for 30 seconds then for the last 30seconds do like 180s. Do this for every minute. This is a simple interval that works well, you can limit the time to 20 to 24 minutes and get a great work out. Let me know what you think once you try it.

KangarooNokona

Kangabilly
That might take a minute but I'll see if I can do that. I put it on interval today and still felt easy so I might just go back to light running and see how the knee holds up. I will just run in grass.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
After awhile, running actually made my knees feel better. I didn't run for ages because I felt like you, but my wife started so I started running some last year.

My elliptical also hurts my knees, and the resistance on it is so jacked up I can only use it for a fraction of the time I can run. Also, it's in the garage so it's still almost 90 in my garage down here.

rattmanndoo

Addicted to Softballfans
I did Mt Palomar for the first time last week 4,250' climbing 11.66 miles at 4th annuall Elliptigo world championship. I trained 5 months by doing hill repeats on my Elliptigo. My opinion, the best exercise ever, great cardio and no impact on the joints as with running. It took me 2hrs and 39 minutes to make it to the top with a avg heart rate 153 for my 58 year old body. This is video from 2011 from EWC.
[ame="http://vimeo.com/31714728"]2011 ElliptiGO World Championship Race on Vimeo[/ame]
Dave

jameybaxter

Yeah, I'm A Weirdo
I set the eliptical machine at a higher elevation will as much resistance as I can do for 200 strides per minute and do that for 20 minutes straight.

I do 1 LONG interval. My quads are usually roasted when I am done.

I have TERRIBLE knee problems. The eliptical only bothers them when I first start using it again. Looks like this week starts my cardio training again after about a month off.

LngBallLvr

Addicted to Softballfans
Due to knee surgery I limit myself from running now and stick to a stationary bike, stair master, or elliptical. My question is I noticed a bigger difference in my mid section when I was running than I am on the elliptical even though I'm going for a longer period of time. Any bro science on why or if running is that much more effective? My diet is better now than it was when I did run so kind of wondering wtf is up lol

I majored in bro science in college. I opened my text books and found nothing. But I will posit a theorem that anything that involves fighting gravity will generally burn more calories than something that does not require fighting gravity. For a brief moment, both feet leave the ground when you run.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
For me, I find running more effective than being on a stationary device because I don't get bored. I also can vary my pace as needed without fighting the computer on the device. If I'm out on the road and need a rest, I can slow down and then kick back in when I get that "second wind". If I'm going on a treadmill workout and get tired, I'll often stop.

Flyman

GEAUX TIGERS!!
For me, I find running more effective than being on a stationary device because I don't get bored. I also can vary my pace as needed without fighting the computer on the device. If I'm out on the road and need a rest, I can slow down and then kick back in when I get that "second wind". If I'm going on a treadmill workout and get tired, I'll often stop.

There is that time of the year up here, though, that running outside just isn't an option...at least not for me. And that time is just around the corner. Maybe I'm a weenie :D.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
There is that time of the year up here, though, that running outside just isn't an option...at least not for me. And that time is just around the corner. Maybe I'm a weenie :D.

I have no opinion on your weenie, sir. They sell long running gear, you know. :cool:

Flyman

GEAUX TIGERS!!
I have no opinion on your weenie, sir. They sell long running gear, you know. :cool:

Haha!! It's not the cold on my body that bothers me. I shovel snow in a t-shirt and shorts. What I hate is when I'm running, and I'm breathing in the cold air. I absolutely hate breathing in frigid air...hurts my lungs.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
Haha!! It's not the cold on my body that bothers me. I shovel snow in a t-shirt and shorts. What I hate is when I'm running, and I'm breathing in the cold air. I absolutely hate breathing in frigid air...hurts my lungs.

Hah, fair enough.

FWIW, 27 degrees this morning for the 5K I participated in
Macobyrunrun5k-cropped.jpg

n.e.mich

I refuse to stomp through 2' of snow and slush all winter. And, the bitter cold air hurts my lungs as well. I bought a nice treadmill last spring and love it, has ifit/google maps/etc. Ran 7.5 miles on it this morning, I put a tv on the wall in front of it and have an mp3 player with 8-900 songs wired through the speakers, they occupy my mind enough to tolerate longer runs (5+ miles). Was running outside all summer and my knee's were sore constantly, the treadmill is much easier on me.

a_cent11

Addicted to Softballfans
Matters what your goal is, if looking just to lose fat either or works. Try to keep you heart rate between 125 - 135 bpm, any higher and you body won't transition from utilizing glycogen to fat storages as fuel. If training for a 5k, 10k etc.. You need to hit the road.

Dirt27

Cage Bomb Hero
^^^^if ones goal is to lose fat, lose weight. Isn't the idea to burn more calories? Exercising at higher intensities does burn more calories, don't go crazy on "target heart rates".

Drumbum37

Addicted to Softballfans
Pulling this straight out of my exercise physiology book and lecture last week, Exercise at 50% of VO2 max for 60-100 minutes to maximize fat oxidation. Basically that's saying exercise at an avg heart rate of 130ish bpm for that amount of time to burn the highest percentage of fat for fuel. Enough bro science, get off your duff and get moving!