Enough Already

Jerrshoe

These bat manufacturers seem to be in a competition with each other to make the cheapest POS possible and we too dumb not to demand better. This instant gratification bat crowd is forcing the industry to manufacture a product that is hot out of the wrapper, but either fails or explodes within the first couple hundred swings. Below is a video from my BP session tonight where I split a Miken Pt-12 in half that had less than 100 swings on it. I know I was hitting BP rockets, but still, this is ridiculous. For a bat that costs a few hundred dollars, I expect more than $2 a swing. I used to swing Eastons, but I just tore a 17 Baker in half 2 weeks ago that didn't have much more than 200 swings on it. They're all the same anymore. Total junk and I know they're going to send me a non-return bat now also. Unbelievable. Ok....rant over.

ShortYellowBus

Correction: Did a quick search, cargo shorts guy hits the long balls with Easton fence posts.

You do hit the ball very hard. Try swinging a heavier bat, or a dual stamp linear bat that doesn’t have those thin outer barrels.

Jerrshoe

Correction: Did a quick search, cargo shorts guy hits the long balls with Easton fence posts.

You do hit the ball very hard. Try swinging a heavier bat, or a dual stamp linear bat that doesn’t have those thin outer barrels.

That was a 28oz. I'd swing a 30 if they made it. I appreciate that you said that, and I do feel like I hit the ball pretty hard, but some manufacturer has to make a bat that you can use.

Jerrshoe

you know you were hitting the wrong ball but felt like complaining anyways

BP Rocket's are not marketed as the "wrong ball" to hit batting practice with. The fact that they're not a 52 is the only reason I mentioned it.

Frankly, the fact that a 52/300 is the only ball anyone can safely hit with any new bat is pretty much the whole problem.

Last edited:

2ball

Addicted to Softballfans
Where’d your baker break at? Mine snapped in half about 6 inches down from the end cap around the 200 hit mark.

Jerrshoe

Where’d your baker break at? Mine snapped in half about 6 inches down from the end cap around the 200 hit mark.

Exactly the same place. Almost exactly the same swing count. That was weeks ago, and I'm still waiting on a new bat.

Jerrshoe

Easton was always really good about getting bats out...but Easton also used to be good at lots of things.

To their credit Worth/Miken have been getting me replacement bats really quickly. I've broken a bunch recently and they're turnaround is awesome.

ShortYellowBus

Easton was always really good about getting bats out...but Easton also used to be good at lots of things.

To their credit Worth/Miken have been getting me replacement bats really quickly. I've broken a bunch recently and they're turnaround is awesome.

The saying goes: if you keep running into the same problem, you’re the problem.

It’s that swing.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I agree that the bats manufactured today are cheap plastic POSs. They're made for wussy hitters with zero skill to hit like the big boys. That said, put these bats in the hands of a hard hitter and they're total fragile junk. They break like eggshells and don't last a month. Hate to say it, but these newest bats won't last even if you only hit .52s with them. Besides, the bat manufacturers have to know that not everyone who plays softball uses .52s. NSA going back to .44 400s will only exacerbate the problem.

I'd go as far as to say that if CO's USSSA state director compression tested everyone's bats at the first tourny this year that you'd see over 50% failure rate. Not because the bats are altered, but because they've been swung more than 100 times. USSSA has a completely broken system when it comes to bat and ball regs.

Last thought: You CANNOT BP any new bats. Not if you want them to last at all. Pathetic I know, but true. Hitting BP does nothing but take game swings away from it.

Last edited:

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
I agree that the bats manufactured today are cheap plastic POSs. They're made for wussy hitters with zero skill to hit like the big boys. That said, put these bats in the hands of a hard hitter and they're total fragile junk. They break like eggshells and don't last a month. Hate to say it, but these newest bats won't last even if you only hit .52s with them. Besides, the bat manufacturers have to know that not everyone who plays softball uses .52s. NSA going back to .44 400s will only exacerbate the problem.

I'd go as far as to say that if CO's USSSA state director compression tested everyone's bats at the first tourny this year that you'd see over 50% failure rate. Not because the bats are altered, but because they've been swung more than 100 times. USSSA has a completely broken system when it comes to bat and ball regs.

You have to remember...........These bats are not made for the guys that can go 400'. They're made for the guys that need these to even go 280'. So, in that regard they'll go for several seasons. It's the 6% that can hit homeruns with any bats being penalized for with their fragility, in order for the other 94% to get that 280' and luck into 6 homeruns a season.

Last edited:

WillW3

Starting Player
You have to remember...........These bats are not made for the guys that can go 400'. They're made for the guys that need these to even go 280'. So, in that regard they'll go for several seasons. It's the 6% that can hit homeruns with an bats being penalized for with their fragility, in order for the other 94% to get that 280' and luck into 6 homeruns a season.
100% truth right here.

Theseaduck

The Veteran
am I wrong in saying that this goes to show u, the pros that swing the same bat you have, their bats are altered or "different" then off the shelf bats we all buy? (even if they get unlimited bats from sponsor)
now I know there are tons of bats out there that we all hit that Don't break in 100 hits...so either your hitting alot harder then the average guy or your doing something wrong ( like not twisting the barrel every swing) ( you will all hate me for this but joker does have a leg to stand with his comment but still shouldnt break with one bucket of 44) or maybe your just unlucky that u got bad ones....there is no quality control they are not all perfectly equal....I do think your in the very low percent bracket for guys who break bats in 100 hits or less tho.......

Normy

Really wish I had your problem. Tried breaking a bat in 37° the other day and never happened. An old webbed up Combat at that. Wish I could give you some advice but I'm not a consistent bat breaker. Need to change my name from Normy to Nancy.

Jerrshoe

Man, I gotta get a radar gun. Everybody’s sportin’ those puppies nowadays.

They’re pretty nice to have. You have real data to figure what is working and what isn’t. I found it particularly interesting to have for the second half of this video. After the bat cracked, the exit Speed jumped 10-15mph on everything.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans

Last thought: You CANNOT BP any new bats. Not if you want them to last at all. Pathetic I know, but true. Hitting BP does nothing but take game swings away from it.

Second sentence says it all totally agree..

Country469

lol at hitting 44s made to break in bats in bp. Nice low key look at my exit speeds post. Enough of the self indulgence already,

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
I sure am glad I have a couple of great ones hanging around 15usam's one with 2500+ hits and seems to still be going strong and of course one niw lol

Country469

2/10 on that response. I understand based on your complaining about the obvious above that you're not very good at this stuff, but I'm in a good mood so I'll allow you to edit that and try again.