Fake tag or Deke?

Softball.com:

BergerKing12

Addicted to Softballfans
So I know that fake tagging is a no no and can get you ejected but is dekeing the runner the same thing?

Situation Dude got me good I will admit to it but I wasnt sure if he was allowed to do it. Anyway I hit a crappy ball to second and as always I hustle to make the 2ber think about it and get nervous and make a bad throw. Sure enough it happened and they overthrew 1st... Well I made the turn to 2nd so I had to go well I was halfway there and the guy on 2nd put up his glove like the ball was coming right that second and he was waiting for me to slide in to put the tag on. I stopped turned and started running back to 1st sure enough they were just now bending over to pick up the ball and I hear someone on their team yell "OH THEY DEKED HIM! OH THEY DEKED HIM!" So now I was in an old fashioned pickled well I am pretty slow so after one or two times of back in fourth I knew the guy with the ball was the guy who deked me so i just stopped really fast and lowered the shoulder and he ran into me pretty good and wasnt happy about it... I got what I wanted out of the out haha..

Oh this guy was the definition of "that guy" so I didnt feel bad about it..

Anyway is dekeing the runner in this situation the same as fake tagging? Had I continued running I def would have had to make a slide that would not have been needed because I would have been safe by a mile...

BergerKing12

Addicted to Softballfans
Deking = GTG. Fake tag = NGTG.

I thought the whole point of the fake tag rule was to prevent injuries and to keep people from sliding when it wasnt needed? In this situation I would have slid had I kept going so I was just wondering the difference... But if its GTG thats good to know!

swish16

What goes here?
I dont see anything wrong with that... No different than an outfielder putting his glove up to make a runner hold up when running in on a ball he isn't going to get to.

rcsd23

Extra Hitter
Sounds fair to me..it's deek-ing but no rule against what he did. I'm assuming you ran to second base because you thought you'd easily make it. I think it's your fault for being easily deeked. Nice shoulder bump though :D

Tom819

Addicted to Softballfans
I guess it's no worse than pretending the ball went passed you into centerfield and the runner takes off for 3rd.

DegoGiantsFan48

Addicted to Softballfans
Fake tag is acting like you're getting the ball and swipping towards the runner... Sounds like all this guy did was put his glove up in the air like a receiver calling for the ball...

Guy on 2nd put up his glove like the ball was coming right that second and he was waiting for me to slide in to put the tag on.

I read this and pictured it in my head, to me it seems the same as a fake tag considering how most people prepare to swipe tag IMO

swish16

What goes here?
Guy on 2nd put up his glove like the ball was coming right that second and he was waiting for me to slide in to put the tag on.

I read this and pictured it in my head, to me it seems the same as a fake tag considering how most people prepare to swipe tag IMO

but he already said it wasn't a fake tag so it's not the same

TonyB

Addicted to Softballfans
You should be mad at your teammates for letting you make a dumbass out of yourself. Wharz base coaches?

thesteve

Addicted to Softballfans
I thought the whole point of the fake tag rule was to prevent injuries and to keep people from sliding when it wasnt needed? In this situation I would have slid had I kept going so I was just wondering the difference... But if its GTG thats good to know!
That is the point of the fake tag rule. I think there's a difference between being in a position to receive the ball and putting on a fake tag. If the 2B were to slap his glove as if he just caught the ball then followed with a tag (empty glove) then it'd be a fake tag. What you described in the OP is just a 2B putting up an early target for the 1B to see when he gets the ball.

To be fair, I'm having a bit of trouble discerning what this statement means,
the guy on 2nd put up his glove like the ball was coming right that second and he was waiting for me to slide in to put the tag on.
I read this as, "2B had a target up for the 1B to throw to". It may have looked differently in live play.

scrub

Addicted to Softballfans
It's part of the game. If you aren't heads up on the bases then its your fault.

fwiw i would never have turned around if i didn't see him actually catch the ball first.

Tom819

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm too slow to turn around and run back. Whether he has the ball or not, I'm still going to second.

gal419

I.B.E.W. Local 126
Here is the ASA rule book definition.

Fake Tag. A form of obstruction by a fielder who neither has the ball nor is about to receive the ball, and which impedes the progress of a runner either advancing or returning to a base. The runner does not have to stop or slide. Merely slowing down when a fake tag is attempted would constitute obstruction.

BergerKing12

Addicted to Softballfans
Well what he did was straddle the base and squat like the throw was coming same as a 2nd basemen does in baseball to catch a base stealer so in my eyes he def wanted me to feel like the ball was coming right the second... If its gtg Im fine with what he did but had i been a step closer I probably would have finished my quest for 2nd and slid into 2nd and it wouldnt have been needed.

It made me feel good to lower a shoulder into him though! Entire game he was just trash talking and complaining and argued with the umpire about stupid stuff and when he had a bad at bat it was the "mush balls fault" which while I will agree it was a mush ball but the way he hit it all a good ball would have done was turn his pop up to the pitcher a pop up to the SS... When they threw in a new ball a non mush ball for his next at bat he hit a dribbler to SS and I felt like saying something than but I didnt.

JJF13

Addicted to Softballfans
It is actually illegal.

EDIT:

Here is the ASA rule book definition.

Fake Tag. A form of obstruction by a fielder who neither has the ball nor is about to receive the ball, and which impedes the progress of a runner either advancing or returning to a base. The runner does not have to stop or slide. Merely slowing down when a fake tag is attempted would constitute obstruction.

^ Beat me to it

But then again I guess you could always make the argument that you had your glove out anticipating the throw.

Last edited:

longball101

Part Time Player
Sounds NGTG to me on that one. Around here we always called the "deek" more of acting like the ball was not coming in order to keep the runner standing up and slowing down as he got to the bag, then slap a quick tag on him.....so maybe the ole shoulder was appropriate in your case..ijs

BergerKing12

Addicted to Softballfans
So the sudden stop and lowered shoulder into him was justified? =) Because after all he did run into me on that one haha.

JJF13

Addicted to Softballfans
I still think it is cheap to do that. it might be smart but I think it i scheap. Good way to get someone hurt

t0mmyb0y

Addicted to Softballfans
A guy fake tagged me at 3rd last week. I told him that if I had slid because of it I would beat his ass. Rec league is no place for that

Country35

Banned User
its called a decoy, IMO if you on a base and its bush leage but i fake like i"m taking cut off throws all the time to freeze runners......