ASA Flat pitch?

cp4455

Addicted to Softballfans
In asa tournament this weekend had 3 pitches in a row that hardly went over 4 feet. I finally ask the ump if he is gonna call anything flat. His response was that a 52 corwill not travel to the carpet unless it's over 6 feet. Anyone else heard this?

sjury

The Old Man
That is the dumbest thing, well... Almost the dumbest thing, I've ever heard. You are playing with a mat, and yes the ball can hit the carpet even if it's under 6 feet. This guy was just lazy.

lb16

the natural
I am an umpire and thats pretty close to one of the dumbest things i have heard!:wtf2:

vipvanilla

Addicted to Softballfans
one of our umps told us 3 weeks ago that it is physically impossible for a ball to be thrown under 6' and land "deep". I asked if he could show me the math on that. He then told me one more word and I was outta the game. :) He's not my favorite ump

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
one of our umps told us 3 weeks ago that it is physically impossible for a ball to be thrown under 6' and land "deep". I asked if he could show me the math on that. He then told me one more word and I was outta the game. :) He's not my favorite ump

If he's calling them "deep", you have other issues with that guy.

gdc25

Addicted to Softballfans
I never post, just read, but at the risk of catching all kinds of holy h#@@ on this...

When we train ASA umpires in camps, we have built a device from PVC that stretches from pitchers plate to home plate with a bar at the 6 foot level and the 10 foot level. We put an umpire behind the plate and have them call Illegal pitches based on height only. The rest of the group of umpires stand along the fair/foul line and watch the pitches in comparison to the device. they also signal illegal pitches. The difference from behind the plate and reality are eye opening. What they/we have learned that it is very difficult to deliver a pitch with moderate speed that does not at least reach 6 feet. They also learn that 10 feet is not nearly as high as one thinks.

The biggest thing our umpires learn is that 6 feet isn't very tall at all. (Remember, the ball only has to reach 6 feet.)

In short, what i'm saying is that without seeing the pitch but based on what we have learned from the above drill, I would imagine that it did reach the six foot mark. The official in charge just did a less than desirable job in describing this to you.

BigSam

Addicted to Softballfans
You know, I've always wanted to get a styrofoam "strike zone" cutout for an average guy, to show players just how BIG the strike zone really is. And then add the width of a ball touching the foam the whole way around to illustrate that the ball only has to pass through that space (touch it) over any part of the plate. Alas... I haven't had the follow through to do it. But that 6' - 10' drill sounds like the sort of thing we all could use.

Qoheleth52

Addicted to Softballfans
I pitch a little. I see it more and more and get irritated at the clearly flat, less than 6 foot high pitch being called a strike. But I have a much bigger problem with throwing one 10 feet high, dropping it a foot behind the plate and having it called "deep."

baseman

in your face nancy grace
I love flat pitches. They travel far when I hit them. Maybe it is from all the years of modified. To answer your question the ball probablly did get close to 6 feet. Most pitchers are close to 6' tall. If there is any form of mound then a ball pitched at head level is close to 6'.

gdc25

Addicted to Softballfans
You know, I've always wanted to get a styrofoam "strike zone" cutout for an average guy, to show players just how BIG the strike zone really is. And then add the width of a ball touching the foam the whole way around to illustrate that the ball only has to pass through that space (touch it) over any part of the plate. Alas... I haven't had the follow through to do it. But that 6' - 10' drill sounds like the sort of thing we all could use.

We also have a contraption we call a "Zone Master" that is a pvc frame set at an angle to mimic the slow pitch back shoulder to front knee strike zone. With nylon string mounted on springs, stretched through it bordering the strike zone. If a pitched ball hits any of the string, that is a strike. (that is/was hard to describe) You can to go https://www.facebook.com/IndianaASASoftball to see both of these in action.

Last edited:

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
When I was out doing the Special Olympics games, we had pulled in other umpires, including a baseball guy. He asked about the arc and judging 6 feet. I just told him that my rule of thumb is that if it's above my eyes, it made the 6 feet (I'm 5'10"). The 10 feet limit can be approximated reasonably enough (1.75 times the pitcher, give or take depending on his height). It's not the 5'5" and the 10'6" pitches most people ***** about, it's the 4 foot and 13 foot pitches that don't get called.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
We also have a contraption we call a "Zone Master" that is a pvc frame set at an angle to mimic the slow pitch back shoulder to front knee strike zone. With nylon string mounted on springs, stretched through it bordering the strike zone. If a pitched ball hits any of the string, that is a strike. (that is/was hard to describe) You can to go https://www.facebook.com/IndianaASASoftball to see both of these in action.

Hey, I think I know (or at least have met) you... Didn't you demo this in OKC a couple years ago? :)

rat bastard

I never post, just read, but at the risk of catching all kinds of holy h#@@ on this...

When we train ASA umpires in camps, we have built a device from PVC that stretches from pitchers plate to home plate with a bar at the 6 foot level and the 10 foot level. We put an umpire behind the plate and have them call Illegal pitches based on height only. The rest of the group of umpires stand along the fair/foul line and watch the pitches in comparison to the device. they also signal illegal pitches. The difference from behind the plate and reality are eye opening. What they/we have learned that it is very difficult to deliver a pitch with moderate speed that does not at least reach 6 feet. They also learn that 10 feet is not nearly as high as one thinks.

The biggest thing our umpires learn is that 6 feet isn't very tall at all.
(Remember, the ball only has to reach 6 feet.)

In short, what i'm saying is that without seeing the pitch but based on what we have learned from the above drill, I would imagine that it did reach the six foot mark. The official in charge just did a less than desirable job in describing this to you.

One of the smarter post on here of late.....I tell players this all the time whether I'm umping, playing or talking with other umps with less experience.

sjury

The Old Man
I don't think the actual pitch height is an issue. You see it in all levels of play, even the majors. Umpires have their strike zone, some give tighter corners some are looser, some zones are stretched a little past the numbers some a little below the knees, but they are consistent. If a softball umpires strike zone is actually 7 to 12, I have no problem with that, just be consistent. When I call games, I give the pitchers the benefit of the doubt on anything close. I can usually find an object in the background and when looking at the pitch if it clears that tree, light pole, etc it's high, if it doesn't then it's good, and by the pitcher's height. If it get's to his head, then it's good.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
You know, it's amazing how incredulous some people are when I hold my hand 4' above the ground and say, "this is the height of the window that you're allowed to pitch through." They seem to think that I should be holding it up closer to my neck.

It's math, boys. 6' plus 4' equals...

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
You know, it's amazing how incredulous some people are when I hold my hand 4' above the ground and say, "this is the height of the window that you're allowed to pitch through." They seem to think that I should be holding it up closer to my neck.

It's math, boys. 6' plus 4' equals...

Just a hair over 3 meters.

The bottom line is, for the most part slow pitch softball players are big babys.
The umps dont get to call a rule book strike or the temper tantrums start. Like stated above 6 foot is nothing and umos cant call that or else and pitches just under the back shoulder? LMAO good luck on that...

Like Kevin Ryan" says and im paraphrasing..."just throw the little whiners a 7 to 9 foot meetball and be done with it"

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
One batter got bent out of shape when I called a pitch on him a strike. He holds his hand up to just above his sternum and says angrily, "that was right here!"

Me: "Well, the strike zone's up to your shoulder. Thanks for telling me that I was right. Sit down."

nkva

Addicted to Softballfans
Is the minimum 6' from the ground or the point of release? Our main league says from the point of release in it by laws. Thanks.

dkissane319

Starting Player
Is the minimum 6' from the ground or the point of release? Our main league says from the point of release in it by laws. Thanks.

USSSA is 3ft from release and a max of 10 ft
ASA "The pitch must travel on an arc with a maximum height of 6 to 12 feet" To me reads like from the ground.