ASA Foot on line - in box?

sjury

The Old Man
im just laughing cause you sound like an umpire around here that thinks the game is about him, and he uses the word "babysit" all the time.

The reason it's hard to find more quality umpires is because over the last 20 years, it's turned into babysitting.

I completely agree with you. I'm just saying this is what I've seen both USSSA and NSA umps do in games since no one carries a tape measure to softball. I've also witnessed umps kick away the chalk so that they didn't have to deal with people complaining.

That's he sign of a lazy no good umpire. Then when these teams get into the real world they get mad when the rules are enforced.

It's not hard to hit the ball and stay in the box, if you're stepping out of the box, you're not a good hitter, ... Pitch selection

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
The reason it's hard to find more quality umpires is because over the last 20 years, it's turned into babysitting.

That's he sign of a lazy no good umpire. Then when these teams get into the real world they get mad when the rules are enforced.

It's not hard to hit the ball and stay in the box, if you're stepping out of the box, you're not a good hitter, ... Pitch selection

Unless the boxes are wrong.

If the boxes are so dramatically wrong that they will only cause problems, I'll inform the teams of the mistake before the first pitch, wipe them out myself, and inform them that even though the lines are gone, the box still exists, but the batters will be given leeway.

Not my fault the damn town can't find the right template.

Spackler

...got that goin for me
Umpiring = Babysitting cry babies

someone clarify:

Sounds like prior to pitch foot can touch line but not be outside

What bout after pitch thrown.....

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Umpiring = Babysitting cry babies

someone clarify:

Sounds like prior to pitch foot can touch line but not be outside

What bout after pitch thrown.....

Can't exit the box, go back in, and make contact with the ball.

Can't make contact with the ball with a foot on the ground and completely outside the lines of the batter's box.

Have you ever umpired? People expect the world for $20 an hour. Draw a box for you, really? I play more than umpire and I'm ok when there's no lines, because I know most umpires will give you the benefit of the doubt. If he draws lines and doesn't know the dimensions, you may end up with a smaller than regulation box and he will call you out based on that.

People blame the umpires because lines are crooked, not regulation, they lost, the sun was in their eyes, whatever.

Most people stand off the plate and use an open stance. If umpires actually made all players start completely within the lines when they start, you would see a lot more bitching. When there are no chalk lines, you get a little leeway with that front open foot.

Besides, most games are timed. Do you really want the umpire wasting your playing time redrawing the lines in the dirt every time someone slides or they disappear? You would lose a lot of time because it would have to be done several times an inning for both sides. I would rather spend my game time actually playing softball.

who cares let them whine...so then as a player they need to know how to get in the box right before the pitch is made...it is already a damn hitters game..so as an ump your gonna make it even easier for them...get them in the box like the RULE says...as a pitcher i will always check that out before i pitch....batters need to be completely in the box.......

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
There's a gretway to to handle that!

If there are lines, I will get rid of them and then make it a judgement call for an umpire..... which most times, they will not call you out of the box unless blatantly obvious.

The batter who purposefully removes the lines of the batters box is ejected for unsportsmanlike conduct. Problem solved.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I pitch. I don't want the hitter getting the benefit of the doubt. Ring him up! :D