ASA Foot on line - in box?

Spackler

...got that goin for me
Sorry to ask cause I know its out there...hell I prob started a thread!:rolleyes:

Whats the rule bout foot in box? touching line ok? Foot partly outside? now the fancy one with toe in but heel in the air outside....

ureout

The Veteran
batters box

RULE 7 - BATTING......Section 3. BATTING POSITION.
A. Prior to the pitch, the batter must have both feet completely within the lines
of the batter’s box. The batter may touch the lines, but no part of the foot
may be outside the lines prior to the pitch

msinn

Addicted to Softballfans
But, IIRC, you are not "out of the box" upon contact unless a foot is completely outside the box

sjury

The Old Man
Foot has to be completely outside the box, the lines are considered inside the box, on contact with the ball, and has to start with both feet completely in the box.

bbaum17

Starting Player
what if there is no batters box in chalk?

In my past experiences with this, they have measured it off with the batter's bat. They marked it a bats length from the front corner and back corner of the plate and the width was a bats length from about 6 inches from the inside edge. Usually if its close they will let it slide.

Ronnie G

Star Player
In my past experiences with this, they have measured it off with the batter's bat. They marked it a bats length from the front corner and back corner of the plate and the width was a bats length from about 6 inches from the inside edge. Usually if its close they will let it slide.

i know some guys that stand like 5 feet "outside of the box" but a lot of times, there is no box. so i was wondering how that actually works

tap2284

Watching baseball somewhere
If there are lines, I will get rid of them and then make it a judgement call for an umpire..... which most times, they will not call you out of the box unless blatantly obvious.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
The last thing i want to do is create a (judgment) situation for umps around here... ijs!!
It happens often where an ump will let someone a (better) player start way out of the box and the same ump call out a rec player for being boarder line out of box... chaulk them in and enforce it or if not marked out then just play ball.

sjury

The Old Man
If there are lines, I will get rid of them and then make it a judgement call for an umpire..... which most times, they will not call you out of the box unless blatantly obvious.

If you remove the line around here they'll warn you and without lines they can call the box as small as they want as well, and since it's a judgment call, there's nothing you can do about it. If you mess with with the umps they have no problem letting you know who's in charge. If the box disappears during play it's one thing, but a player wiping it out on their own is another.

Actually, incase ball they call a strike and issue a warning, second time and you might be on the bench watching.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans

The only thing worse than having no box marked is having one marked that is the wrong size. And, if you're using a bat to measure it out, it will be the wrong size!

The box extends 39.5" forward from the front edge of the plate and 27.5" back from the rear edge. Do you happen to have a 39.5" and 27.5" bat handy? If not, you could be calling the batter out for being over a line scratched in the dirt that doesn't reflect the actual box size.

Same as with any other line on a field, even if it's not chalked out the rule still applies. What if there aren't any foul lines marked? Does it mean there are no foul balls for that game?

When no batter's box lines are marked, ASA instructs its umpires to give every benefit of the doubt to the batter. Don't call this violation unless it is grossly and blatantly obvious.

Last edited:

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
lulz...you get paid too much a game already the least you can do is draw it for me

I don't get paid nearly enough to babysit.

And if you're paying a league for a field, the least they could do is draw some friggin' lines. Talk to them, not me.

Illegal pitcher

The Veteran
The only thing worse than having no box marked is having one marked that is the wrong size. And, if you're using a bat to measure it out, it will be the wrong size!

The box extends 39.5" forward from the front edge of the plate and 27.5" back from the rear edge. Do you happen to have a 39.5" and 27.5" bat handy?

If you take a Sharpie and mark 27.5" and 12" distances on the bat beforehand, then it'll work just fine. :thumb:

Ronnie G

Star Player

And if you're paying a league for a field, the least they could do is draw some friggin' lines. Talk to them, not me.

you sound like an umpire...think the game is about you "babysitting"...lord. smh

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
Have you ever umpired? People expect the world for $20 an hour. Draw a box for you, really? I play more than umpire and I'm ok when there's no lines, because I know most umpires will give you the benefit of the doubt. If he draws lines and doesn't know the dimensions, you may end up with a smaller than regulation box and he will call you out based on that.

People blame the umpires because lines are crooked, not regulation, they lost, the sun was in their eyes, whatever.

Most people stand off the plate and use an open stance. If umpires actually made all players start completely within the lines when they start, you would see a lot more bitching. When there are no chalk lines, you get a little leeway with that front open foot.

Besides, most games are timed. Do you really want the umpire wasting your playing time redrawing the lines in the dirt every time someone slides or they disappear? You would lose a lot of time because it would have to be done several times an inning for both sides. I would rather spend my game time actually playing softball.

Ronnie G

Star Player

I agree with your statement that the league should be making the boxes though, absolutely. They never do around here.

bbaum17

Starting Player

The box extends 39.5" forward from the front edge of the plate and 27.5" back from the rear edge. Do you happen to have a 39.5" and 27.5" bat handy? If not, you could be calling the batter out for being over a line scratched in the dirt that doesn't reflect the actual box size.

Same as with any other line on a field, even if it's not chalked out the rule still applies. What if there aren't any foul lines marked? Does it mean there are no foul balls for that game?

When no batter's box lines are marked, ASA instructs its umpires to give every benefit of the doubt to the batter. Don't call this violation unless it is grossly and blatantly obvious.

I completely agree with you. I'm just saying this is what I've seen both USSSA and NSA umps do in games since no one carries a tape measure to softball. I've also witnessed umps kick away the chalk so that they didn't have to deal with people complaining.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
im just laughing cause you sound like an umpire around here that thinks the game is about him, and he uses the word "babysit" all the time.

News flash: umpire talks like umpire in "Ask The Umpire" section on softball forum.

You're a quick one.