? for PITCHERS

ProTow34

just here for the beer!!!
how do you grip the ball? And does using different grips cause the ball to do different things? Sorry if this has been asked before, search didnt yield any results...

I throw a backhanded church league spinner using all fingers and my thumb when pitching ASA. I find that some guys have a mental block about hitting that pitch for some reason and it just works for me.

For Utrip I'll throw a 4 seam tumbler and a knuckleball if it's windy. The knuckleball I throw 2 seam and dig my nails right into the seam. I try to put as much speed on it as possible until the ump gives me a warning. The 4 seam tumbler I'll throw as low as possible until they stop being strikes, but I try to keep the speed up on them too.

Don't have a curveball yet, but I'm working on it...

MBplayer

Canadian Bat *****
I m in for this as well. I just started pitching more this last season and would like to know a few different grips. I basically use 3 right now a form of a backspin where I hold the horseshoe seams inbetween my pointer and thumb and a knuckle ball I grab shoe itself and use all 4 fingers for this one and of course just the straight forehand where I hold the ball pretty much wherever I have it. lol

Any more pitches and pics of grips on the ball would be awesome.

Thx MB

Great thread was just thinking of this the other day.

klu

on the mound
If i need a straight pitch I grip 3 fingers across the seems. For a right to left curveball I use 2 fingers On the part whee he seams are closest and roll it off my pointer finger. If my knuckleball is hitting I use 2 or 3 fingers on the fat part of the leather (not on seams) and push, and at the release point I kind of pinch the ball out of my hand. Hope this helps.

Wear a mask!

puckdropper

Addicted to Softballfans
For the OP, practice what works for you. If you have no one to help out, take a bucket of balls and pitch and try different releases. For me if I start to have too much movement , left or right , I go the knuckler just to throw strikes. My backhand spinner actually will break left to right. To throw a curve ball just duplicate releasing a bowling ball. just like shaking hands thumb up . i also move and pitch from the left or right side of the pitchers plate. Also, dont be afraid to practice pitching with the opposite arm, its slow pitch.

richard#2

Addicted to Softballfans
I can curve the 2 seemer.. finger tips with a push for knuckle.. 4 finger 4 seemer if i gotta have a K

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can curve the 2 seemer.. finger tips with a push for knuckle.. 4 finger 4 seemer if i gotta have a K

Do you mean 4 finger 4 seamer if you gotta have a strike?

Different grips yield different results. I'd try and find a curve that you don't have to fling your wrist like a bowling ball because it'll help disguise it.

bamaboy1626

You need my opinion!!!
curve/slider is possible by throwing what's referred to as a 2 seamer in baseball. It's not a strike pitch but it can get guys to hit off the taper or pull it foul. Be careful throwing the one that floats outside... it will induce middle shots.

richard#2

Addicted to Softballfans
Yes a strike.. and no i dont spin the curve. I roll it off with a slight angle and with a very sutle outside in arm movement

richard#2

Addicted to Softballfans
curve/slider is possible by throwing what's referred to as a 2 seamer in baseball. It's not a strike pitch but it can get guys to hit off the taper or pull it foul. Be careful throwing the one that floats outside... it will induce middle shots.

Yes this... all of this^^^^

Pinky12

I love teh PINK!
If i need a straight pitch I grip 3 fingers across the seems. For a right to left curveball I use 2 fingers On the part whee he seams are closest and roll it off my pointer finger. If my knuckleball is hitting I use 2 or 3 fingers on the fat part of the leather (not on seams) and push, and at the release point I kind of pinch the ball out of my hand. Hope this helps.

Wear a mask AND a cup!

i pretty much do exactly this. lol

klu

on the mound
Yes a strike.. and no i dont spin the curve. I roll it off with a slight angle and with a very sutle outside in arm movement

This^. Spinning the ball won't give it any break. Spinning is for newbs about to get lit up

firemanbutch

~Brag Post~ ;)
I have a 4 finger/4 seam, curve, cutter and knuckle. Depending on the situation and whether we are playing 5 man will determine what pitches I throw and when. I won't throw many knuckle balls in a 5 man. If there is a cross wind, I throw more curves and cutters because it will move more with the wind. It's actually pretty crazy how far you can get a ball to curve with a crosswind. I only play Utrip and if there is one word of advice I can give to you, especially in Utrip, try and get a first pitch strike. That gives you much more leeway to get hitters to swing at what you want them to hit instead of what they want to hit. Also, move around on the rubber or in the "pitching" box. Give batters different looks and changing the speed of pitches helps a lot too. Best thing is just to experiment and find out what works for you.

As for grips, I grip my curve like a 2 seam fastball in baseball but put my thumb to the outside of the seam it runs along. You don't have to do all sorts of crazy stuff with your arm either. Just let it roll off and the way it rolls will cause it to curve. My knuckle I throw with all 4 fingers and just grip somewhere where the seams are not. Sometimes I'll put either my forefinger or pinky on a seam or put my fingers just under or just over a seam.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member

I didn't mean you, I meant that for the guy that said to throw it like a bowling ball. That's way more spin, and how I see a lot of church leaguers try and throw it.

ESI

Coach

Wear a mask!

I pitch the exact same way. Too funny

The Crimedog

Best ASA Baterator
When I'm thinking about it, I grip the curved area in the "horseshoe" part of the seams. I think subconsciously I do it all the time anyway.

franknwhit

Game on!
HPIM0548-1.jpg

Throw a Curve ball left and right break. Backspin pitch. Pitch from all locations from the rubber. (Front, back, left, right, and some times don't even use the rubber. Have stood back 5' and thrown pitches. Not illegal until the ump says it is.

Softball1988BrewsToruney002.jpg

Softball1988BrewsToruney001.jpg