freak 12 or 30

bakesta72

washed up hasbeen of SBF
Freak 12 / 2017 Freak 30

2016 Freak30

I think this years new Freak30 is or will be just as good as the Freak12

single wally

Professional Amateur
It comes down to preference, I hit the F30 better than the F12 based on feel, and I wouldn't say one is hotter than the other. F30 just swings smoother to me.

I haven't hit the 2017s yet but I can't imagine them being any hotter than the 2016s, which redline the Utrip testing limit already.

Last edited:

Cliff

Addicted to Softballfans
I got to hit the 2017 Freak 30 this past weekend. The Freak 30 was as good as my 100W (with thousands of swings) within the first 10 swings out of the wrapper. I dont have any experience with the Freak12 or the 2016 Freak 30, but the 2017 Freak 30 is the best performing bat i have ever swung.

Cliff

Addicted to Softballfans
thank you Bakesta72.

Yes WillW3 it was good night for me, definitely better than normal.

exccsracer

Scrooge McBase
I have both and my 30 is the current distance king by a long ways. It has 500+ swings vs right around 100 on my F12. I imagine with the same number of swings it's going to come down to personal preference.

Masher816

Addicted to Softballfans
Had both, loved both. Only difference I noticed was F30 didnt have the wobble in the knob. F12 it loosened up pretty quickly and always bothered me enough that I had to change the way I tape my grip to make sure the handle was overly taped.

Ordered the new F30 as my old one is starting to shark tooth, I'll hit it in league until it breaks in, then it will be tourney bat only, and I'll hit my 2016 F30 until it breaks. I've talked to dozens of people who were either VERY pro F12 over F30, or VERY pro F30 over F12, who have hit the 2017 and said it's enough to make them order a new one and retire their F12 or F30.

Personally, I noticed almost no difference between the F12 and 2016 F30, other than the F12 swung about an oz lighter to me. With OG F12s being insanely priced, and RI 12's and 2016 F30s all drying up, order a new F30 from a Rep and you'll be happy.

HrBump13

Addicted to Softballfans
Swung the new Freak 30 last night. Right outta the wrapper, it was extremely smooth & crazy hot. SMH. Thing is gross!

scottydoesnt

Extra Hitter
This years freak 30 is very nice. I will say 3 guys on my team have already broken theirs. Each one was right at about the 200 swing mark with classic Ms. Gamer status right outta the wrapper. Durability, not so much.

WillW3

Starting Player
Yeah, the new 30 is sweet from the get go. Mine is about 100 swings in and the sound has changed a bit. It's really good. It's gone to the BP Hero for a break in and review.

49er

Addicted to Softballfans
I believe it was the 2017 Freak 30 that I swung in a dome tourney earlier. Didn't hit with it, it was somebody's new bat still in the wrapper. If it was the correct bat I'm thinking of, it had the same feel as the white/orange Denny Crine Psycho I absolutely loved. Can anyone verify if this sounds about right? It felt like there is no weight in the handle, but the whole barrel seems weighted for a super-smooth swing.

Masher816

Addicted to Softballfans
OK guys, new update on this, from having owned and swung all 3 bats....here is my official expert opinion. Ok, so I'm not an expert, but I can hit a ball pretty hard on occasion.

They are all incredible!

Freak12 - swung a little lighter than it felt, I really wish I would have bought a 28, but it wasnt a big difference. Instantly hot out of the wrapper, Miken ping was gone VERY quickly (maybe 50 swings 52/300 and 50 classic Ms) and it went into a whole new level. One of my favorite bats ever.

2016 Freak30 - felt a smidge more endloaded than the F12, honestly felt to me like .75oz EL. But that's really the only difference...I also felt like the 2016 took just a little longer to break in, but was still insane while breaking in, took just a little longer to go from hot to stupid hot. I hit probably 100 52/300s and another 100 Classic Ms before it changed sounds and just got stupid. I hate to say better than the Freak 12, because I just never hit a ball poorly with my 12, but I've never hit more moonshots with any bat as I did my 2016 F30. I knuckled a ball out on a 320' field for a walk off with this bat, which to this day was one of my most impressive and memorable homers.

2017 Freak 30 - Swings exactly like the Freak12 IMO, the .5oz endload feels right. First three swings were hard liners through the infield as I was getting the feel of the bat, then tried kicking it up and going for the fences...9 of the next 10 were all 330'+ hitting 52/300s assorted Evils and Dudleys. Hotter out of the wrapper than the 12 and 30 both were, and yesterday was the first time taking BP since October for me, and the first time swinging a bat period, since December 10th. To say I was impressed, is an understatement.

All I can say about this year's F30, is I'll be buying at least 2 more EDITED

Last edited by a moderator:

Masher816

Addicted to Softballfans
or you could buy from SBF instead of advertising for a competing store
Does SBF close out remaining year bats for $150 every fall? If so, buy from here. I was unaware that they did that, which is why I said where I said, which has since been edited out of my post. If SBF has them for that cheap, I'd absolutely buy from here, as I have done before in the past...and as I've referred many friends and teammates to do as well...

But to address your statement, If you think that my statement was an "advertisement for a competing store", you're either stupid or lying if you really believe that. You're acting as if nobody on this board is aware that they close out their bats for $150 every year... I have no financial incentive to promote them, nor do I care how well they do financially...I'm just aware, as I know most on this board are, that they close out bats every fall for $150, and stated I'd buy multiple at that price if I can. If that's your idea of an advertisement, you're clearly blinded by a bias, or are just being a d*ck for no reason.

Masher816

Addicted to Softballfans
sbf has a forum they provide for free, don't bring up other stores that compete with them moron. pretty simple
Ok then, you're obviously just a d*ck. I also find it interesting that you're incapable of proper sentence structure or punctuation, yet you're calling me a moron? Good call, bro...

Fully aware that they provide a great service for free...which again, is why I've purchased from SBF in the past, and likely will again in the future. Stating I would buy 2 bats when they are closed out for $150 (which happens to be with a competitor) is a far stretch from slapping SBF in the face.

I myself am a business owner...if a person writes on Yelp that they got a better price from a competitor, I'm not going to be an a-hole like you are, edit the post, and tell them to never mention another competitor's name again. It makes the company look petty, and you look like an ass.

wcoastsoftball

No, I edited it....sorry Masher, but no matter the deal, the forum has a policy of not advertising competitor sales or prices or stores.

Masher816

Addicted to Softballfans
No, I edited it....sorry Masher, but no matter the deal, the forum has a policy of not advertising competitor sales or prices or stores.
No worries, and I understand that...I appreciate you being civil and respectful and not a douche like Rusty. I was unaware who edited my post, but assumed Rusty because he was the only person making any fuss about it.

I think it's obvious that I meant no disrespect and made no attempt to direct business away from SBF...I was unaware of this rule as I have seen people mention prices from competitors before, I'm sure they eventually got edited as well, just not when I had seen them. I will refrain from commenting on pricing from competitors in the future. Thanks, wcoastsoftball.

Masher816

Addicted to Softballfans
i didn't edit anything, you did. can you not follow your own advice?
What the hell are you talking about following my own advice? With regard to...?

Regarding the editing of my post, I did not do that...as you can see above a moderator had -- which I assumed to be you -- because you're the only person that has said anything about me mentioning the price a competitor sells close out bats for in the fall.

My intentions were obviously not to be malicious or to drive business away from SBF, at the most it was a simple oversight. My entire purpose was to emphasize how good the new F30 is, that it's worth stocking up when this year's bats get closed out and discounted....so why dont you stop being a d*ck?

This impacts you in no way, so shut up and move on to trolling another thread by adding absolutely zero useful content, and being an ass...it's kind of your MO (or modus operandi). I hyperlinked the definition of modus operandi for you...based on your continued misuse of elementary grammar and punctuation, I'm not certain that basic Latin phrases are in your vocabulary...

Now, let this be done and let's stop jacking this thread...

Masher816

Addicted to Softballfans
how in the blue **** am i going to edit your post? moron
I assumed you were a moderator. The same way the moderator that identified himself above was able to. I dont know you at all, I dont know your level of involvement on the board -- I saw my post had been edited by someone other than me, and you made the only post in response to mine. Not like I pulled your name out of my ass.

We really need to work on expanding your vocabulary. After you learn proper sentence structure, let's get you a thesaurus. It's impossible to give credence to someone calling another person a moron, when you're incapable of communicating like an adult.