Freak Primo

Ewing_13

I know it hasn't been released yet. I was just curious if there was any feed back on feel or swing weight or anything.

Pretty

Softball is cool
I'm curious on this as well. Maybe the Utrip wouldnt pass compression? Normally ASA bats are the ones to fail. I'm a bit confused on the 2, 3 and 4 piece bats as well.

Usssa: barrel + handle = 2 piece
12” ASA: barrel+handle+inner barrel = 3 piece
14” ASA: barrel+handle+inner barrel+coonextion piece thing= 4 piece

Party mafia

So they use the dc 41 1oz el and put it into a kp23 with a 12 inches barrel for the primo asa bats. Lol.

Will miken have their dc41 in 2020? Since Danny c sign with demarini

Ewing_13

So they use the dc 41 1oz el and put it into a kp23 with a 12 inches barrel for the primo asa bats. Lol.

Will miken have their dc41 in 2020? Since Danny c sign with demarini
I think you will see a full ounce Primo with a 14 inch barrel next year now that hes gone.

Pretty

Softball is cool
Worth had the last utrip 12" with 1oz EL in 2016 (Fulk Legit Elite). Apparently Worth/Miken had issues with that combo failing compression early so they stopped making them.

I was reading this and something popped in my head about the 1oz EL 12 barrel thing. How does the loading and barrel size have anything with a bat failing compression early? When you or others refer to that , do you mean failing during the approval process of a design? Compression is tested on a stationary bat and it isn’t as if they are testing bbs once the bat is in approved list.

ShortYellowBus

I was reading this and something popped in my head about the 1oz EL 12 barrel thing. How does the loading and barrel size have anything with a bat failing compression early? When you or others refer to that , do you mean failing during the approval process of a design? Compression is tested on a stationary bat and it isn’t as if they are testing bbs once the bat is in approved list.
I can see bats failing ASA limits (98mph) or the 1.20 BPF certifying process, but compression testing results is purely registered in the barrel’s composition integrity.

If the integrity is compromised by repeated use, then the compression results quantify it. How does the end load affect the initial rigidity measurements of the barrel?

Batalot

Worth had the last utrip 12" with 1oz EL in 2016 (Fulk Legit Elite). Apparently Worth/Miken had issues with that combo failing compression early so they stopped making them.

Yeah, it's strange that they can make a longer bat with 1oz el though. Either, longer bats are built such that the composition is stronger, yet the extra length of the barrel still allows the bat to be "Hot out of the wrapper". Shorter bats using the same comp, may be too rigid to allow the "hot out of the barrel" feel that seems to be very important.. for customers and for the company as , broken bats means more business.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
How does the loading and barrel size have anything with a bat failing compression early? When you or others refer to that , do you mean failing during the approval process of a design?

How does the end load affect the initial rigidity measurements of the barrel?

I think it was BJ Fulk himself that said about the short-barreled bats failing. They passed compression easily when new, then they were failing within 20-30 swings. It was because of the MOI of the 12" barrel/1oz endload combo; there was just so much damage done with each impact that the composite broke down faster.

Either, longer bats are built such that the composition is stronger, yet the extra length of the barrel still allows the bat to be "Hot out of the wrapper". Shorter bats using the same comp, may be too rigid to allow the "hot out of the barrel" feel that seems to be very important..

You might be onto something here. Shorter barrel means less length of composite flexing, which means that if the walls were the same thickness they'd be way stiffer. If they use a thinner wall for the short barrels, that combined with the increased MOI from the heavier endload could be causing the early failures.

Pure speculation, but if Worth/Miken could make the 12"/1oz combo I'm sure they'd be pumping them out. There'd be a huge demand for them.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think it was BJ Fulk himself that said about the short-barreled bats failing. They passed compression easily when new, then they were failing within 20-30 swings. It was because of the MOI of the 12" barrel/1oz endload combo; there was just so much damage done with each impact that the composite broke down faster.

You might be onto something here. Shorter barrel means less length of composite flexing, which means that if the walls were the same thickness they'd be way stiffer. If they use a thinner wall for the short barrels, that combined with the increased MOI from the heavier endload could be causing the early failures.

Pure speculation, but if Worth/Miken could make the 12"/1oz combo I'm sure they'd be pumping them out. There'd be a huge demand for them.
I'm of a different opinion. I just think they're too freaking lazy.

It's easier to just keep repainting what you have and say that a 12" 1 oz endload is too hot to pass.

They might have to change materials, fiber angles, etc, but they can design a hot 12" with a 1 oz endload. I think the marketing and accounting bean counters just told them it wasn't feasible.

I don't blame them for the decision. It would mainly take sales away from their other bats. I just feel like their reasoning is deceptive. Telling people they can't hold compression or are too hot to pass is hogwash.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I'm of a different opinion. I just think they're too freaking lazy.

It's easier to just keep repainting what you have and say that a 12" 1 oz endload is too hot to pass.

They might have to change materials, fiber angles, etc, but they can design a hot 12" with a 1 oz endload. I think the marketing and accounting bean counters just told them it wasn't feasible.

I don't blame them for the decision. It would mainly take sales away from their other bats. I just feel like their reasoning is deceptive. Telling people they can't hold compression or are too hot to pass is hogwash.

But they DID have a 12"/1oz bat, why not just keep repainting it and selling it if there's a demand for it? Miken/Worth doesn't care about taking sales from other bats; they offer multiple exclusives that are configured the same as their main-line models. But not having a 12"/1oz combo leaves a hole in their line-up that leaves people looking at other manufacturers.

When they discontinued that combo I assumed they were gonna let some retailer release it as an exclusive. Offer a limited run of something that has no main-line equivalent and it'd sell out at full retail, easy. But nothing. Instead we get about a dozen colour-schemes of 12"/0.5oz bats and 14"/1oz bats.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
But they DID have a 12"/1oz bat, why not just keep repainting it and selling it if there's a demand for it? Miken/Worth doesn't care about taking sales from other bats; they offer multiple exclusives that are configured the same as their main-line models. But not having a 12"/1oz combo leaves a hole in their line-up that leaves people looking at other manufacturers.

When they discontinued that combo I assumed they were gonna let some retailer release it as an exclusive. Offer a limited run of something that has no main-line equivalent and it'd sell out at full retail, easy. But nothing. Instead we get about a dozen colour-schemes of 12"/0.5oz bats and 14"/1oz bats.
The only one I ever saw sure as hell didn't have a full ounce endload. Between qc and it being used, etc, I'm not saying none were, but I'm less likely to take Miken and with at their word.

Mr. Purple

Jumped on the bandwagon and got a supermax primo preorder.
Anyone know if they are going to be a limited release or a continual addition to the main line?

Mr. Purple

Anyone know if these will be considered a mainline and available as a return on a warrantied bat or special edition?

Ewing_13

Its too damn cold here in Northeast Ohio to even swing it, but I am going crazy waiting for this thing to ship!