ASA Friday 13th Play of the Day

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
Co-Ed Slowpitch - 2 outs. R1 (male) on 2nd base after a walk. B2 (female) is coming to bat. B2 steps into the batter's box for her turn at bat. The pitcher is on the pitching plate ready to pitch to B2. B2 decides to step out of the box and informs the plate umpire that she has decided to take the automatic BB. The umpire rules that since B2 (female) is already in the batter's box and F1 is already on the pitching plate that she no longer has the right to take the automatic BB. Is this a correct ruling?

Sonic625

An Admin
Staff member
Good question, I have not seen that one before but would say if the pitch was not made yet she could still walk.

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
Good question, I have not seen that one before but would say if the pitch was not made yet she could still walk.

And you would be correct. As long as a pitch has not been thrown nor a "play" made she can change her mind. I would assume the same would be true if she decided to walk but changed her mind once she got to first base. Although I don't now why she would want to do that.

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
I know this is a local rule but I'm curious what people think the proper interpretation or best interpretation would be.The local league has a rule if the guy walks he automatically gets second base and the female has the choice to hit or walk. They also play a 5 run rule per inning for the first four innings. Who do you bring up the next inning if the guy walks and goes to second and it forces in the fifth run? Some people argue it should be the girl because just because the guy walks doesn't mean the girl had to and he forced in the fifth run. Makes sense. On the other hand, the counter argument was the intent of the rule is to not be able to walk a guy to get to the girl. If you make the girl lead off the next inning, it's kind of circumventing the intent rule. Our league commissioner doesn't really know softball so asking him doesn't help. They basically let the umpires agree how to handle it and then just handled it that way consistently. Curious what the thoughts are on this situation. Yes it's a casual league. Yes it's their rules. The question is really if you were the commissioner inheriting these rules, which way would your rule. Doing away with the rule isn't an option.

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
This is why modifying the rules can be more problematic than using the rules as written...the rule of unintended consequences. If its a hard 5 run per half inning limit then I would say the girl walks at the beginning of the next half inning. It might be better to do away with the 5 run limit per half inning and institute a real "mercy" rule. 15 ahead after 3, 12 ahead after 4, and 10 ahead after 5 innings. Each team will get to bat at least 3 times (unless the home team is ahead by more than 15 after 2 1/2).

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
My first thought was that she should have the option to lead off the next inning with a BB or bat - her option.

I thought I've also seen it though where the female only gets the option to walk if the male was walked with 2 outs...less than 2 outs she bats, but he still goes to 2B.