Glove Repair

MiamiE

MIDDLE'S OPEN!
Does anyone here do glove repair or can recommend someone? I have an old Rodriguez glove from 2007 or so. Leather is all torn up, and laces are all messed up and ripped. The thumb hold is also broken. Would like it to be totally stiffened up and reconditioned. Basically rejuvenated and repaired. I'll post a pic in a bit. Thanks.

Last edited:

MiamiE

MIDDLE'S OPEN!
Looking at it now it probably needs to be reconditioned also. Not sure if this is possible though.

IMG_0424.jpg

IMG_0425.jpg

IMG_0426.jpg

IMG_0427.jpg

Tomasik14

The Veteran
nothing you can do about the cracking in the palm really.... but i can help you with a clean, condition, relace...

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
There are very few guys nationally who can replace a lining, but its $$$ and no one who hangs out here does it. I do think some guys view these posts as an invitation to competitively bid on a project. Hah, I once had a guy ask me if I could lower my price as I had been outbid... by $2!

bigmac25

Extra Hitter
There are very few guys nationally who can replace a lining, but its $$$ and no one who hangs out here does it. I do think some guys view these posts as an invitation to competitively bid on a project. Hah, I once had a guy ask me if I could lower my price as I had been outbid... by $2!
THAT seems kinda nuts and petty. Is it really that cut throat?? Seems like theres a lotta gloves out there...

DatDuke

Services are meant to be competitive, I have no issue with Davis relace offering up his service, that's what this board is for. he might not be the cheapest, but his reputation is well known on this board. So that could be the reason he reaches out to a potential customer. Options and competitions can never be a bad thing for the consumer.

MaverickAH

buy a new glove ;)

Based on the description & the pictures posted, this is the only sane response in this entire thread! This especially holds true because it's a Rodriguez. Unless that glove holds some kind of special sentimental value, I wouldn't sink one single penny into it & instead put the money towards a new glove. If the OP has all of the work done as described, it'll probably exceed the cost of the glove when it was new!

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
It used to be that there were a few hobbyists here who did this for fun and probably made about $5-$7 per hour working on gloves (I spent two hours today fitting a custom finger stall patch, so I'll "earn" about $4/hour on this one). Previously there was an etiquette about how competitive we all were because putting in that level of effort competing for business takes some of the fun out of it. I am an econ prof and cannot argue against the competitive forces of the market, but that change to a more competitive atmosphere has forced everyone to treat it more like a business and less like a hobby.

And Maverick, I have worked on one Rodriguez glove before. I had to change out the stays and the laces (they guy didn't want to change out padding that had the consistency of a pile of cotton balls). In the end it still looked like a piece of road kill. This one looks to be in better shape, but I wonder if they are still using lids off 5 gallon buckets for stays.

Last edited:

MaverickAH

And Maverick, I have worked on one Rodriguez glove before. I had to change out the stays and the laces (they guy didn't want to change out padding that had the consistency of a pile of cotton balls). In the end it still looked like a piece of road kill. This one looks to be in better shape, but I wonder if they are still using lids off 5 gallon buckets for stays.

I'm pretty sure that Rodriguez is no longer in business.

Sent you a pm Rous..........

MiamiE

MIDDLE'S OPEN!
Davis did offer the same price as Tomasik for what it's worth. I went with Tomasik simply because he was the first to reply. The Rodriguez was purchased back in 2007 or so and neglected to say the least. They're not the best out there but I love the thing!

Podo

"JewDoe"
Maybe he messaged because Tomasik said he couldn't do anything about the lining and he can.... don't assume the worst in the the move.
I'm pretty sure Davis don't redo liners, but I like Davis and I like Split Leather! I get along with both and have had plenty of conversations with both. I used to love re-stringing my gloves! There was a guy on here before them that had it on lock and come to find out his only objective was to teach and share so all of us would learn to do it on our own. Everywhere I look, be it FB or IG or here. It's the same thing, yes Davis made a name for himself and the exact reason I use him, but for sakes, split leather is your "buddy" give him a bone every now and again is all I'm saying. Dude does great work as well, we all know it.

RustyShakleford

more than a few people in here are on facebook, at least the only glove group i'm in. there is a lot of "i want to buy a custom gloves" followed by all the vultures trying to peddle their mexican crap. the "how do i break in a glove" followed by oven, microwave, shaving cream, etc. crap. the "i got a vapor from ross/tj maxx for $30 and want to sell it for $200" crap. there is still a lot of good knowledge and good gloves for sale there.

i don't touch instagram. seems like a place for the jen's of the world.