Any Glove size limits

Cowan256

Starting Player
Do any of the associations have limits on glove sizes? Specifically, is a 15" glove illegal anywhere in men's slowpitch?

ureout

The Veteran
Do any of the associations have limits on glove sizes? Specifically, is a 15" glove illegal anywhere in men's slowpitch?

most assoc. are 14" but I've seen 15" gloves for sale even at tournaments....I've only had a team appeal an illegal glove being used once and that was several years ago before rule change...an O/F was using a 1st basemans mitt

MaverickAH

If memory serves, 14" is the length limit for ASA & ISA. I believe that USSSA & NSA have removed language specifying glove length. There are also limits for web width for most of the assns.

At one time 15" gloves were only legal for senior softball.

Cowan256

Starting Player
Thanks guys. I'll play it safe and stick with 14" or less. Was looking at 15" because I know some guys that have them, but then somebody told me that 15" was illegal so I wanted to verify before I dropped any serious coin on new leather.

TexasTransplant

Addicted to Softballfans
Here are the maximum specifications for glove size from the SSUSA (Senior Softball USA) Rule Book. That's the only rulebook to which I have access. I believe the highlighted measurement is the one manufacturers publicize as glove size.

3.6 • GLOVES
Gloves may be worn by any player, but mitts may be used only by the catcher and first baseman. No top lacing, webbing or other device between the thumb and body of the glove or mitt worn by a first baseman or catcher, or a glove worn by any fielder; shall be more than 5" (12.70 cm) in length. Here are the maximum length specifications: palm width (top) 8" (20.3 cm), palm width (bottom) 81⁄2” (21.6 cm), top opening of web 5" (12.7 cm), bottom opening of web 41⁄2” (11.5 cm), 1st finger crotch seam 71⁄2” (19.05 cm), thumb crotch seam 71⁄2” (19.05 cm), crotch seam 161⁄2” (41.91 cm), thumb top to bottom edge 91⁄4” (23.5 cm), 1st finger top to bottom edge 14" (35.56 cm), 2nd finger top to bottom edge 131⁄4” (33.66 cm), 3rd finger top to bottom edge 121⁄4” (31.12 cm), 4th finger top to bottom edge 11" (27.94 cm).

Last edited:
most assoc. are 14" but I've seen 15" gloves for sale even at tournaments....I've only had a team appeal an illegal glove being used once and that was several years ago before rule change...an O/F was using a 1st basemans mitt

Do you remember the ruling on the field for that instance? Ive seen this recently

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
I believe the proper ruling would be to nullify the catch, place the Batter-Runner at 1B and move everybody else only if forced. And of course require the OF to change gloves.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
For ASA, if discovered anytime other than when the illegal glove is used to make a play, you just require the fielder to get a legal glove.

If an illegal glove is used to make a play, it's handled like an appeal. If discovered before the next pitch ( or, before infielders leave fair territory at the end of an inning, or before the umpires leave the field on last play of the game) then the offensive manager has the option of accepting the results of the play, or nullifying all playing action, returning all runners, and sending the batter back to the plate with the same count.

Yes...you can actually have a DO-OVER! :eek:

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
USSSA Rule 2 Sec. 8 subd. A:

A. Catchers and first basemen may wear a glove or mitt of any size; all other
players are restricted to a finger type glove with the space between the thumb and
forefinger not exceeding more than 4-1/2 inches at the top. The webbing shall not
be constructed to form any type net or tray.

Finger type glove means no trappers.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
ASA allows either a glove or mitt to be used at any position.

So does USSSA fastpitch, and also high school softball and baseball.

NSA doesn't seem to make any distinction between gloves and mitts, but they do allow 15" gloves in fastpitch (only 14" in slow pitch).

Glove rules are all over the board dpending on which sanctioning body you're playing under.