Gloves similar to PP Bryant

Felks32

Addicted to Softballfans
I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on the closest alternatives to the Rawlings PP Kris Bryant PRO200-6K. I have a Retail Bryant and I love everything about it except i'd say it's a little shorter than i'm used to.

Wilson i've owned a Retail 1781, GOTM TF21 and SBF SP125 over the last couple of years, and all 3 were good gloves, I think I liked the SP125 the best, but I never gave the TF21 a real chance.

Rawlings I assume the 1000HC DMS is close, but that's even shorter than the Bryant. Likely would be easiest to go with a custom 208 or 3028.

Anything else I should consider? I use size Large batting gloves, so nothing with a big handstall.

sleepin4matty

Management Material
I own the SP125 and like it but haven't broken it in yet. My favorite glove ever is a custom Carpenter my wife bought me several years ago. The glove I'm currently using is a Nike Shado Elite J and it's amazing

Felks32

Addicted to Softballfans
I have a custom 207 (12.25) and the sp125, and the sp125 seems larger than by just 1/4"

I feel the same way...the SP125 was considerably larger than the Bryant, like more than 1/4". But I wonder if its the longer fingers of the SP vs the longer palm of the Bryant.

huntaholic21

Addicted to Softballfans
Is the size of the sp125 good for you?
I think I'm going to pick up the 12.25 horween Rawlings that chad had made. See how that compares to the bryant. I also want to add a saddle tan 1781 to the mix. For you the 12.5 pro200 custom seems like the way to go.

D580A546-7F69-4B89-8F51-EF2AB11131A6.jpg

Felks32

Addicted to Softballfans
Is the size of the sp125 good for you?
I think I'm going to pick up the 12.25 horween Rawlings that chad had made. See how that compares to the bryant. I also want to add a saddle tan 1781 to the mix. For you the 12.5 pro200 custom seems like the way to go.

D580A546-7F69-4B89-8F51-EF2AB11131A6.jpg

Yes, to me the SP is a perfect softball utility glove. This is going to sound stupid but I sold it partially because it wasn't a Rawlings (and right now my collection is 100% Rawlings.)

Generally speaking, I prefer the feel of Rawlings over Wilson, I found that both the SP125 and the TF21 had too much padding on the thumb side. Not that I couldnt remove some I guess.

I think you're right, custom 208 might work best. OR, even that David Price GGC 208 with a web swap and relace.

huntaholic21

Addicted to Softballfans
@Felks32 - you may want to add the 12.5" pro-jd to your list. I would give the sp125 another chance, just due to the rare nature of the pattern. Play with the heel padding. I have a feeling they will be hard to come by in the future.

Felks32

Addicted to Softballfans
@Felks32 - you may want to add the 12.5" pro-jd to your list. I would give the sp125 another chance, just due to the rare nature of the pattern. Play with the heel padding. I have a feeling they will be hard to come by in the future.

I tried the PROJD-6BUB at retail once, the pattern felt awkward and wide, although im sure it breaks in nicely, thanks. Also why I've avoided the SBF1000...looks like a similar width but is probably a great option.

huntaholic21

Addicted to Softballfans
I tried the PROJD-6BUB at retail once, the pattern felt awkward and wide, although im sure it breaks in nicely, thanks. Also why I've avoided the SBF1000...looks like a similar width but is probably a great option.

I take it you don't love the 504 pattern either right?

Felks32

Addicted to Softballfans
I take it you don't love the 504 pattern either right?

Correct. I love the custom 504 that I have, because it has special meaning to me, but it will likely remain a shelf queen.

Of all the gloves I own, i'm leaning towards gaming my 302 Mocha over the rest. Tight handstall, tight wrist, could go either double or single hinge break.

This is looking more and more like a 208 or 3028 is the best choice.

NYC

Swag on 100.
Is there a reason why everyone and their mother, and their wives has this Bryant glove other than the name attached to it? I mean I saw a couple on their wedding day pose for a picture with matching Bryant gloves. Then I saw a video of an unboxing of the glove and the guy was able to snap it shut right out of the box. I actually prefer thick supple leather, but still on the stiff side. A broken in, conditioned horween glove ages really well for me.

huntaholic21

Addicted to Softballfans
Is there a reason why everyone and their mother, and their wives has this Bryant glove other than the name attached to it? I mean I saw a couple on their wedding day pose for a picture with matching Bryant gloves. Then I saw a video of an unboxing of the glove and the guy was able to snap it shut right out of the box. I actually prefer thick supple leather, but still on the stiff side. A broken in, conditioned horween glove ages really well for me.

I can't speak for the retail versions, but the rggc is a tank. It does go to show that large infield patterns can sell though. It seems like companies are pretty apprehensive to bring that size glove to market.

NYC

Swag on 100.
I can't speak for the retail versions, but the rggc is a tank. It does go to show that large infield patterns can sell though. It seems like companies are pretty apprehensive to bring that size glove to market.

Yeah, I've heard that the GGC version is superior. I was actually thinking about picking one up (retail) or the SBF 207, but can't find one NWT for a decent price. I like that the SBF gloves have the brown leather throughtout the entire lining and not just the palm. The black finger linings isn't my thing, and I believe the Bryant has that black stuff inside.

huntaholic21

Addicted to Softballfans
Yeah, I've heard that the GGC version is superior. I was actually thinking about picking one up (retail) or the SBF 207, but can't find one NWT for a decent price. I like that the SBF gloves have the brown leather throughtout the entire lining and not just the palm. The black finger linings isn't my thing, and I believe the Bryant has that black stuff inside.

Actually the rggc Bryant has pittards finger lining. The retails have black.

Reactions: NYC

Felks32

Addicted to Softballfans

Because it's a beautiful glove that can be used in both baseball and softball...and easily the nicest RGGC glove release to date? A traditional colourway that Rawlings should be doing more of. Plus I'm sure it doesn't hurt that it's Kris Bryant's glove. I hope your not basing your opinion on one unboxing video either...i've had 2 retail versions....one was on the shelf for a while and had seen a few hands and could be closed. The other was in a display case and was hard as a rock. Keep in mind not everyone likes stiff horween gloves. :)

Felks32

Addicted to Softballfans
...and I sold my second one last week to pay for an OT 1799 which is breaking in nicely.

pkc31887

Addicted to Softballfans
have you tried the markakis model PRO435-JB . its a 12.5" that plays a tad small in my opinion. So it may be a solid option for an in between of the pro200-6k and the sp125

MaverickAH

I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on the closest alternatives to the Rawlings PP Kris Bryant PRO200-6K. I have a Retail Bryant and I love everything about it except i'd say it's a little shorter than i'm used to.

Wilson i've owned a Retail 1781, GOTM TF21 and SBF SP125 over the last couple of years, and all 3 were good gloves, I think I liked the SP125 the best, but I never gave the TF21 a real chance.

Rawlings I assume the 1000HC DMS is close, but that's even shorter than the Bryant. Likely would be easiest to go with a custom 208 or 3028.

Anything else I should consider? I use size Large batting gloves, so nothing with a big handstall.

Yes, to me the SP is a perfect softball utility glove. This is going to sound stupid but I sold it partially because it wasn't a Rawlings (and right now my collection is 100% Rawlings.)

Generally speaking, I prefer the feel of Rawlings over Wilson, I found that both the SP125 and the TF21 had too much padding on the thumb side. Not that I couldnt remove some I guess.

I think you're right, custom 208 might work best. OR, even that David Price GGC 208 with a web swap and relace.

Hmmm........ It sound like you prefer a pattern that plays a little longer & narrower. More like a traditional outfield pattern for baseball. I've always been more of a Wilson guy as opposed to a Rawlings guy. Of what Wilson currently offers, something like a JH32 might be more to your liking, pattern-wise, if having an H Web is not a priority. I think that would've also have loved older 12.5" OF models like the ELO (now 12.75") or the XLO. Both were Single Post webs but they adopted very well to being IF gloves for softball.

As far as Rawlings patterns are concerned, you're on the right track. I strongly suspect that you'd prefer a 3028 over a 208.

I did a casual review on the GGC Series when they first came out. While you can say that they are superior to the PP Series, I didn't think the improvements were enough to justify the price. For me, they were more of a hybrid PP/Primo that corrected the weight issues of the Primo Series. Their price point was selected to compete with Mizuno's Pro Limited gloves.

Actually the rggc Bryant has pittards finger lining. The retails have black.

???? Unless I'm missing something all PP's have Pittards sheep skin linings. There is no such thing as a RGGC Bryant. There is a Kris Bryant Custom Glove though. The only difference between it & the retail PP model is the color. The light camel color of the retail model is a no-go for MLB.

pkc31887

Addicted to Softballfans
I am fairly certain there is a RGGC bryant. Came out early 2016. Cant remember how many were produced but i had no. 130 at one point in time. The liner and finger pad were the differences between the RGGC and the retail and possibly the script font may have been different as well (cant remember). both were camel colored though

Felks32

Addicted to Softballfans
Hmmm........ It sound like you prefer a pattern that plays a little longer & narrower. More like a traditional outfield pattern for baseball. I've always been more of a Wilson guy as opposed to a Rawlings guy. Of what Wilson currently offers, something like a JH32 might be more to your liking, pattern-wise, if having an H Web is not a priority. I think that would've also have loved older 12.5" OF models like the ELO (now 12.75") or the XLO. Both were Single Post webs but they adopted very well to being IF gloves for softball.

As far as Rawlings patterns are concerned, you're on the right track. I strongly suspect that you'd prefer a 3028 over a 208.

Yup you're right that's why I have 2x 3029's. Kinda wish for my second one I went for a 3028 but maybe next time.

bigmac25

Extra Hitter

I did a casual review on the GGC Series when they first came out. While you can say that they are superior to the PP Series, I didn't think the improvements were enough to justify the price. For me, they were more of a hybrid PP/Primo that corrected the weight issues of the Primo Series. Their price point was selected to compete with Mizuno's Pro Limited gloves.

???? Unless I'm missing something all PP's have Pittards sheep skin linings. There is no such thing as a RGGC Bryant. There is a Kris Bryant Custom Glove though. The only difference between it & the retail PP model is the color. The light camel color of the retail model is a no-go for MLB.

Wasnt the GGC Bryant the one that started all the Bryant glove hype?... There for sure was a GGC Bryant - but maybe thats what you were thinking of? It seems the way you phrase it as if its a standard line maybe theres a disconnect here. are we all referring to GGC as the series that gets 2 new gloves every month with no specs on series/line

Also, I don't pay attn to the JD patterns, but saw BBM had a 12 inch version. Thats not a common size for that pattern is it?