Going opposite field

kevbrah

Extra Hitter
First thread for me so hopefully this is in the right place. I've been playing E ball for about 4 years now and would like to finally be able to go oppo to be a better hitter. I usually hit middle, not on purpose:eek:, rarely pull the ball:eek:. I'm a righty and have minimal power so singles are my life:(. Any help would be awesome.

22kj22

UrMoufSNIFsofFart
1 bucket of softballs, 1 pitcher, several bats= lots of practice till you figure it out. Oppo will be your best friend if you can't go deep.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
First thread for me so hopefully this is in the right place. I've been playing E ball for about 4 years now and would like to finally be able to go oppo to be a better hitter. I usually hit middle, not on purpose:eek:, rarely pull the ball:eek:. I'm a righty and have minimal power so singles are my life:(. Any help would be awesome.

Look at the inside middle of the ball and try to put the bat on that spot.

Triple7

Addicted to Softballfans
slightly outside pitch. Wait longer than usual Swing away.
Or Slightly Outside pitch. Step your front foot closed, wait and swing away.

mjross81

Surrounded by estrogen
Look at the inside middle of the ball and try to put the bat on that spot.

or wait for an outside pitch, let it get deep and stride towards first....but same principle. My swing actually tends to hit a little inside the ball for some reason cause most of my balls usually have a slight fade to them (to put it in golf terminology).

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
or wait for an outside pitch, let it get deep and stride towards first....but same principle. My swing actually tends to hit a little inside the ball for some reason cause most of my balls usually have a slight fade to them (to put it in golf terminology).

What if you don't get an outside pitch......Or you just get pitches to hit middle?? How do you hit the ball with any force to the opposite field then??

mjross81

Surrounded by estrogen
What if you don't get an outside pitch......Or you just get pitches to hit middle?? How do you hit the ball with any force to the opposite field then??

I don't, I go w/ the pitch bro. I don't worry about the end results, just the execution and let the results take care of themselves :cool:. If it's outside, I'll take it oppo, if not then I'll just to to center or the Lf/LC gap area (I rarely pull the ball down the 3rd base line).

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog

Unless you are back in the box, I don't feel you should try and force it. I sometimes get in trouble when I try and do something with a pitch that would be better served to do something else. But, I am a lefty so oppo generally is to keep em honest and exploit em when they aren't...provided I get the pitch to work with. That is just me though.

down and dirty

Addicted to Softballfans
walk the box and if it is middle out it should be easy just stay closed if you fly open you wont do anything but pop up

garc4387

The Veteran
My swing actually tends to hit a little inside the ball for some reason cause most of my balls usually have a slight fade to them (to put it in golf terminology).

Same here. But I tend to put a lot of spin on my hits. Works great on inexperienced right fielders. they think the ball is coming to them but then starts curving towards the line.

OP just wait on the ball a little longer and drag the barrel of the bat longer through your swing. Will add a lot of spin to the ball.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
I don't, I go w/ the pitch bro. I don't worry about the end results, just the execution and let the results take care of themselves :cool:. If it's outside, I'll take it oppo, if not then I'll just to to center or the Lf/LC gap area (I rarely pull the ball down the 3rd base line).

Unless you are back in the box, I don't feel you should try and force it. I sometimes get in trouble when I try and do something with a pitch that would be better served to do something else. But, I am a lefty so oppo generally is to keep em honest and exploit em when they aren't...provided I get the pitch to work with. That is just me though.

That's what I'm saying.............If you say, "wait for an oustide pitch......" You may never get one. That's why waiting and trying to get your bat on the inside part of the ball is affective.

Spackler

...got that goin for me
Move back foot away from homeplate half step let pitch get a little deeper then if you were gonna pull the ball and step towards direction you wanna hit as you swing. You will lose a little power cause its a shorter swing. If you can go oppo easily then you'll be able to place ball anywhere on field and your girlfriend will tell her friends how awesome you are!!

kevbrah

Extra Hitter
Move back foot away from homeplate half step let pitch get a little deeper then if you were gonna pull the ball and step towards direction you wanna hit as you swing. You will lose a little power cause its a shorter swing. If you can go oppo easily then you'll be able to place ball anywhere on field and your girlfriend will tell her friends how awesome you are!!

Thanks everyone, good info... Hope not, wife would get mad.:D

mjross81

Surrounded by estrogen
That's what I'm saying.............If you say, "wait for an oustide pitch......" You may never get one. That's why waiting and trying to get your bat on the inside part of the ball is effective.

and all I'm saying is that there's no reason to try and manipulate the ball just for the sake of going opposite. People are too hell bent on "i need to do this or that" and they waste their AB trying to do something that they probably shouldn't be doing w/ the pitch. I see it a lot as a pitcher where a batter has something set in their mind and they'll try and hit an inside pitch to the opposite field but all they get is a weak grounder or lazy pop up.

You are correct in that you need to hit the inside of the ball but hitting the inside on a pitch that dictates that you should pull or take it up the middle will just result in a bad AB. It's gotta be a good combo of proper mechanics (for hitting oppo) and patience at the plate (if you are really that determined to hit it oppo) :cool:

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
You are correct in that you need to hit the inside of the ball but hitting the inside on a pitch that dictates that you should pull or take it up the middle will just result in a bad AB. It's gotta be a good combo of proper mechanics (for hitting oppo) and patience at the plate (if you are really that determined to hit it oppo) :cool:

NO WAY!!!! I didn't know any of this.

tt15

Addicted to Softballfans
I find it a lot easier to go oppo with a balanced bat rather than an endloaded one. Also try to have your hands slightly ahead of the barrel at contact with the ball.