Gripping Slippery Balls

COKEMAN

Addicted to Softballfans
Ok, Ok, go ahead and get it out of your system. I can't set them up and not expect someone to hit them... I only use my left hand. How slippery are they? That's what she said...etc, etc. :D

Then, I want to know if any of you have tips/techniques when playing with a synthetic cover on wet fields. If we don't get rain, then the city here always runs the sprinklers right before league play. So, we always end up with a wet outfield. If the other team brings synthetic covers, then it becomes difficult to get a good grip and get the ball in.

I am thinking about bringing some rosin with me to give a better grip, but I am wondering if any one here has any other tips.

DanGer1285

Addicted to Softballfans
Nobody here would ever make sarcastic comments like that.

Suggestion: Wipe them on your shirt.

x25

Addicted to Softballfans
I am thinking about bringing some rosin with me to give a better grip, but I am wondering if any one here has any other tips.

Rosin can get pretty ****ty when it gets too wet - and plus, carrying the actual rosin bag with you seems like the worst ever, so it'll last maybe the first toss.

Some pine tar might help, but it can suck too. I'm not sure there's a great solution other than just getting used to getting a solid grip first.

Also: obligatory "USE YOUR MOUTH" goes here.

StealthyGuy

Addicted to Softballfans
I perfer it wet when i try and grab my balls...feels pretty good, plus my dad said theyre mine and can wash them/it as fast and often as i want lol. As for the sport, i used my rawlings workhorse batting gloves in the wet grass after rain and it seemed to do fine. Either that or dont try throwing people out and just hit the cutoff.

COKEMAN

Addicted to Softballfans
Yeah, rosin can get a bit gummy when wet. I still may try it though, just might have to make sure I don't use a bunch. I have a small bag from my bowling days that I'll take along tomorrow night and try. I'll just leave it in the dugout between innings.

Batting glove sounds like a good idea, but I was under the impression that you could not wear a glove like that in the field. Maybe I am just imagining that though.

As far as the towels and shirt ideas, that would work but I am talking about the ball coming through the grass and having to pick it up and make a throw.

jadavis17

Coach
Try some Mission Ultra-Grip. It's basically Liquid Rosin. When you put it on your hands it feels like hand sanitizer because it has alcohol in it. Put a small amount on your hand and rub it in for about 5 seconds then blow on your hands and you will see them begin to turn white. It stays on way better than using a rosin bag and is a lot less messy. You can find it at Hibbett Sports, **** Sporting Goods, or other major sports retailers. Mission also has their own website if you want to go straight to the source to read about it. Supposedly David Wright(3B Mets) helped develop the formula and did all the testing for it. Just google Mission Skincare or Mission Ultra-grip(obviously) and it'll pull right up. Stuff works pretty good with sweaty hands too.

grubd

Banned User
I clicked on this post thinking it was some gay/erotica funny softball ****. "Like I caught my one teammate corn holing another one at a tournament and they were sent packing."

birm16

Nats Jersey IJS
The person on this site with the most practice is Country35 please pm him. He will be able to help you with any ball situation you ever *** i mean come across.

blakcherry329

throw more knuckleballs:D:D(depending on how you throw yours)

never have a problem with wet balls(no homo;)) cuz I use my nails.
I actually have a better knuckler when it's wet.

jgoose5

The Veteran
throw more knuckleballs:D:D(depending on how you throw yours)

never have a problem with wet balls(no homo;)) cuz I use my nails.
I actually have a better knuckler when it's wet.

I have to agree here, no clue why but I also throw a better knuck when it is wet.

hacker72

Addicted to Softballfans
When I pitch I just use a small towel or rag in the small of my back area. Catch the ball, wipe it off and throw it. It isnt too bad.

andy-rockstar

Living for the Cit-ay
We play in the rain quite a bit here, or on days where it's rained. This a good question.

Unless you have really big hands, there isn't much you can do. I just grip the ball with three fingers over the top, and make sure they're going across a seam. It gets tricky if you're really in a hurry to get the ball in from the OF, but I'd rather make sure I get a good throw in rather than rush into an errant one.

COKEMAN

Addicted to Softballfans
Try some Mission Ultra-Grip. It's basically Liquid Rosin. When you put it on your hands it feels like hand sanitizer because it has alcohol in it. Put a small amount on your hand and rub it in for about 5 seconds then blow on your hands and you will see them begin to turn white. It stays on way better than using a rosin bag and is a lot less messy. You can find it at Hibbett Sports, **** Sporting Goods, or other major sports retailers. Mission also has their own website if you want to go straight to the source to read about it. Supposedly David Wright(3B Mets) helped develop the formula and did all the testing for it. Just google Mission Skincare or Mission Ultra-grip(obviously) and it'll pull right up. Stuff works pretty good with sweaty hands too.

Found this and used it last night. Works very well. Thanks jadavis!

COKEMAN

Addicted to Softballfans
^^Yeah, but you know it was going to go there anyway. Might as well get it out of the system early and get to the real answers :D