Gruden To Rams?

p17

SBFs 16th all time poster
Apparently Mike Pereira was ripping up Gruden about a rule he was getting wrong in the booth this past Monday. Anybody know what the rule was? I didn't see the game

hbwb

~~~~~~~~~~~~
He don't know what a legal hit is or an illegal one. But I do not know if that is what you are talking about.

adkins1203

Addicted to Softballfans
did that help him in the regular season and playoffs as well leading up to the SB?

Now you know we were talking about that superbowl. That team was stacked defensively. Gruden only needed to make sure that offense was productive enough to win games.

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
Gruden + raiders playbook = SB win.

I'm assuming you watch football on Sundays a decent amount. How many new plays do you really see? I think you could give the other coach the playsheet (with the names changed) but the actual plays and it wouldn't change who wins or loses. I can't remember the last time I saw a new play I hadn't seen before. There are some calls that come when you don't expect them, say an onside kick to start a half in the Super Bowl, but that's not the play, it's the combination of executing the play properly and the coach having the balls to call the right play. Some of it is just luck too. You happen to call a play that works against the blitz the defense happened to call on that play.

Let's not forget Gruden took a last place Raiders team and got them to .500 before he lost to the eventual Super Bowl Champion Ravens (minus his starting QB most of the game) and then lost to a pretty good Patriots team by 3 in OT the next year in the Tuck Rule game.

He did inherit a good team from Dungy, but Dungy had problems on offense. The three playoff years before Gruden took over, Dungy's TB teams scored 6,9, and 11 points. Ouch!

hbwb

~~~~~~~~~~~~
If I line up across from you and say sully I am going to run it down your throat and there is nothing you can do to stop me. Would that give you an edge in defending seeing as how I have never lied about what play I am running?
Or what if I say we are going to pull the left guard and sweep right. You think that would help at all?

Brooks

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm assuming you watch football on Sundays a decent amount. How many new plays do you really see? I think you could give the other coach the playsheet (with the names changed) but the actual plays and it wouldn't change who wins or loses. I can't remember the last time I saw a new play I hadn't seen before. There are some calls that come when you don't expect them, say an onside kick to start a half in the Super Bowl, but that's not the play, it's the combination of executing the play properly and the coach having the balls to call the right play. Some of it is just luck too. You happen to call a play that works against the blitz the defense happened to call on that play.

Let's not forget Gruden took a last place Raiders team and got them to .500 before he lost to the eventual Super Bowl Champion Ravens (minus his starting QB most of the game) and then lost to a pretty good Patriots team by 3 in OT the next year in the Tuck Rule game.

He did inherit a good team from Dungy, but Dungy had problems on offense. The three playoff years before Gruden took over, Dungy's TB teams scored 6,9, and 11 points. Ouch!

I will agree to a certain extent. It's not like Tampa knew exactly what each play was going to be before each snap. Did they have a formidable advantage though by knowing the playbook before the game? Absolutely. Does that take away from how good of a defensive team they were? Not at all. They owned the top (or near the top) rankings in almost every measurable defensive stat, beat a tough Philly team soundly on the road, and made very good offenses (Rams, 49ers, Packers) look bad that season.