Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Wilson Showtime

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wilson 6-4-3

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None of them are worthwhile.

Votes: 22 95.7%

• Total voters
I had a glove I liked alot that was stolen at the beginning of the year. It was a Rawlings Renegade 13" H-web. Since then I've been using a a Demarini Insane 13" glove which is alright but I really don't like the basket web and it feels really small for a 13" glove. I don't think its going to work out for me. So I'm looking at a few other gloves and I can only see them online so its very difficult to tell anything from pictures, reviews, and words like "double-play leather." Anyway, I'd really appreciate some thought on these three gloves.

Rawlings Renegade 13" H-web with pro mesh back
Wilson A800 Showtime Single-Post 13"
Wilson 6-4-3 Single-Post 13" with "double-play leather" whatever that means.

The 6-4-3 seems to be the highest regular priced and most upper echelon of the 3 but I really have no idea, and often regular price means nothing. I also read 2 different reviews commenting that they have large hands and the 6-4-3 glove felt huge. This wasn't a consideration until I read those reviews. I have normal sized hands but I definitely don't want a glove that I'm going to be swimming in. Should I just go with the Renegade or are the other options higher quality?

NYC

Swag on 100.
If it were me I would just look on the bay for better quality gloves that may cost a bit more, but are way better.

moren025

Addicted to Softballfans
Honestly, those leathers are too soft for my liking (would recommend them for younger players) but if those were the options... I've held Renegades and the mesh back is great for the weight concern but over the long haul I've hadn't had good luck (wear and tear of the mesh).
Comes down to the wilsons. I like the A800 over the 643. Simple answer, the leather felt firmer in my hand (but the handstall and fingers were snug being I wear a XL to XXL batting glove).
Have you considered the Mizuno MVP line? Close to your price point and the leather is a tad bit firmer.

huntaholic21

Addicted to Softballfans
I saw some 6-4-3 gloves at sports authority before they closed that I felt the leather was pretty close to a2000 leather. They were pedroia models and some were better that others.

Parks9

Hey man spend a little extra on the leather. It is amazing the different between a "cheaper" and high end glove. By the looks of it you aren't wanting a $250 A2k but check out 44progloves.com. Fully custom glove, $155 price point and the quality is amazing. Had mine for 3 years now and the leather still feels new.

edvedsfb

Addicted to Softballfans
LS Pro Flare on Prime for $109 (12.75H, 13Trap), Mizuno MVP series also on Prime $89 (13H), Easton Core only $50 (12.75H) all of these are better leather than whats listed and aren't terribly more expensive if not cheaper than the gloves you're looking at. The Easton core is especially enticing at only $50 w/ free shipping.

DatDuke

I would say the 6-4-3 is a grade below the A1K series which you can easily get them for under $150 when they go on clearance at major baseball retailers.

Thanks for all the replies. I wish I had seen them yesterday. Though I dont exactly remember, it appears I ordered the Renegade a couple days ago because it showed up at my door today. I also went ahead and ordered the 6-4-3 last night for $54 shipped. From Wilson's website it looks like the 643 is a step between the a800 and a1000/a2000. The difference between the 1000 and 2000 apparently only being size of fit. I like that Easton core alot and I think if I saw it a couple days ago I wouldve just ordered that and forgot about everything else. The renegade was a mistake. Very stiff in in the palm but very weak on the fingers. Breaking it in would help but its nothing like the one I had, the pocket even feels smaller. I think its going back to amazon. Hoping for better results with the 643, if its no good then that easton core is on the top of my short list. If thats no good then I will have to increase the budget and admit everyone telling me to spend more is right. Something else I noticed on wilson's website is that the demarini insane that ive been using (retail $90 at ****s) is really just a dressed up a360. I'll be sure to chime in with my impressions of the 643 when it shows up. Thanks again for all the helpful replies.

NYC

Swag on 100.
A friend of mine just got a rawlings pro303 ctb from the bay for $150 brand new shipped. We were just trying to tell you if you do a bit of research and take a couple days to search you can find a glove that's better than all of the cheaper models combined, and it will last you forever.

A1000 is no where near A2000. A1k is more like the A2000. A800 close to 6.4.3

OK so I am mistaken. I'm not entirely off-base though. I don't know what I was looking at because I can't even find the A1000 on the website now but I did find this: "The Wilson A1K series takes the same patterns designed for the pros with updates to make them fit snugger on your hand." And the biggest A1K they make is 12.25. so the 1000 and 1k series are the little brothers to the 2k and 2000 series. I had originally thought that the 1000 was supposed to be just a quality step below the 2000. Anyway, with your ratings it looks like I'm moving up 2 slots from my demarini A360.

A friend of mine just got a rawlings pro303 ctb from the bay for $150 brand new shipped. We were just trying to tell you if you do a bit of research and take a couple days to search you can find a glove that's better than all of the cheaper models combined, and it will last you forever

I get it and I haven't closed the door on spending more. I have spent more than a couple days searching and if my budget was $150 it wouldve been an easy search. You do recognize that $150 is three times what i spent right?

Jchap

A1000 is no where near A2000. A1k is more like the A2000. A800 close to 6.4.3

To me.. A2k = pi A2000 > A2000 > A1k > A1000 > 6.4.3 = A800 > A500
Looks good but I would say a retail A2K is not on equal footing with a PI A2000.

DatDuke

Looks good but I would say a retail A2K is not on equal footing with a PI A2000.

Fair Enough. I dont have that many PIs to compare. Most of my gloves are Retail A2Ks, and some of them have real high quality. My only PI has been gamed for 1 season.

Edit:

pi A2000 > A2k = Custom A2000 > A2000 > A1k > A1000 > 6.4.3 = A800 > A500

Last edited:

bigmac25

Extra Hitter
A friend of mine just got a rawlings pro303 ctb from the bay for $150 brand new shipped. We were just trying to tell you if you do a bit of research and take a couple days to search you can find a glove that's better than all of the cheaper models combined, and it will last you forever.
THIS!!
especially this time of year.
usually i dont do too much with retail baseball sites BUT you can get a cool model on clearence for well over $100 off msrpthis time of year.
Also, it seems a dealer are now dumping nwt 2017 rawlings on the bay for $187 shipped.
As everyone has said.. well worth the little extra $$

Another note on the rawlings renegade. The finger holes feel weird. Like the angle of the finger holes and pocket in relation to my hand feels off. The angle of the finger holes are fighting my fingers. It actually feels alot better if I put my index finger in the middle finger holes. Wonder what that means. Maybe its in IF vs OF fit type thing.

beeblebobble

Starting Player
From just reading your posts it sounds like you want a decent glove for a fair price. As other's have stated this IS the time of year to get a discount on a nwt glove from many many retailers. And it may skew your view as you seem to be equating msrp = quality. You've already shown a knack for getting a bat at a huge discount, it might be a better approach to find the make/model glove you like and then find it at the best possible deal. You'll satisfy your need for quality and of course a good price.

Justballgloves has a 100 day return policy, if you have a credit card, its a great place to try a plethora of models, a couple years ago I was swapping out a new glove every week, they were a pleasure to deal with on every exchange. Talk to your teammates, what they are using? Sometimes they may know whats best for you from watching you play. If you have a retailer with quality gloves by you, go check out their selection see if one of em feels just right.

But by picking a price point and then scouring the internet based on that price and the msrp's that match is a path to doing this all over again. This isn't just getting the cheapest price on a DVD for your holiday shopping its something you will break in, put in front of your face to protect you, and make plays with, by spending this much time already it shows you do care and want the best you can get. Take the time, find that glove, then worry about getting it at the best price possible, but spending $55 now can very easily be spending another $55 every couple of years when catching one good deal on a2000/HoH might save ya from worrying about buying a glove for a very long time.

Maybe I'm a snob but none of the gloves you listed is worth the $55, you'd be better off buying a used quality glove from a teammate/pias/CL than trusting one of those night after night.

2TransAms

Droppin' 280 ft bombs
As with all things, you get what you pay for, and eventually you hit a point of diminishing returns. Is a $300 glove better than a $250 glove? Maybe a little, depending on what you like. Is a $100 glove better than a $50 glove? Yes, usually 10x better. I'd just scrap all the cheap options and look in the $100-150 range. And as stated you can usually get even better deals around this time.

To be blunt, all your gloves are cheap gloves. They're maybe a step up from entry level gloves, but for not much more you can get much better options.

case2000

Extra Hitter
For example, two years ago my son bought a $70 Rawlings Sandlot Series trapeze glove. I helped him break it in and care for it properly but with one baseball season of use - the piping started cracking, the mid finger lace broke, the leather softened way too much and the glove became very floppy.

But my Zett (Zifect leather similar to a rawlings heart of the hide) that I used in college in the 1990's is still very stiff and in good condition. I have an A2000 from 2003 when I first started coaching High School baseball and the leather is still in beautiful shape....

I dont have a defined budget. Looking for the best bang for the buck while still being good enough. The renegade does not pass that test so its going back. I have a wilson 643 arriving thursday that i paid $54 for. If I dont feel good about that one then the budget will increase to $100-ish. I just took a look around at that price and found an easton pro series 12.75 for $120. how does that compare to a wilson a2000?

Im also not looking at msrp like its the bible; just a decent indicator to the quality i can expect. the 643 is $130 on wilson's website so its not like its some cheapo glove.

Party mafia

I dont have a defined budget. Looking for the best bang for the buck while still being good enough. The renegade does not pass that test so its going back. I have a wilson 643 arriving thursday that i paid $54 for. If I dont feel good about that one then the budget will increase to $100-ish. I just took a look around at that price and found an easton pro series 12.75 for $120. how does that compare to a wilson a2000?

Im also not looking at msrp like its the bible; just a decent indicator to the quality i can expect. the 643 is $130 on wilson's website so its not like its some cheapo glove.

If your budget is $120, how about the Louisville slugger pro flare 13 inches from Amazon for $109.

Or you can get a wilson a 2000 Hanley Ramirez 12.75 inches glove from baseball monkey for $150.

Are you oppose of buying a used glove?​

the pro flare is too OF specific. I play IF far too much to invest in a glove like that. The Ramirez glove is interesting, I actually saw that one some time ago.