Hitting advice

llg257

I recently have switched from a portent G3 end loaded combat to the new 2016 assault G5 that is two piece and balanced. I haven't been doing as hot switching from the endload to balance seem to be more pop ups and less base hits. Any advice on changing my swing up or timing to fix this problem?

obagain

Dr. bats are for wimps
You have to learn to hit balanced if you are going to keep the bat.
Your hands tend to get lazy hands with an end load because once you get your hands going the bat will do the rest.
Concentrate on swinging all the way thru the ball and you should see better results.

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
You have to learn to hit balanced if you are going to keep the bat.
Your hands tend to get lazy hands with an end load because once you get your hands going the bat will do the rest.
Concentrate on swinging all the way thru the ball and you should see better results.

I can attest to this first hand. I am a night and day better hitter with an endload in my hands. I have a very lazy snap sometimes and the endload bails me out.

msw4indy

Addicted to Softballfans
It's been years since I've swung an endloaded bat. Have swung balanced 29s and 30s exclusively for a long time. I just picked up a 28.5 Sonic and am excited to give it a try and see if I like it.

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
Tee work is the long term solution to your problem...

Short term - Concentrate on the top of the pitched ball - You're now swinging faster through the zone, so your timing is off ... Looking at the top of the ball will likely bring your contact zone to more of the center of the ball...

But - this is short term - cause you will begin to adjust to the new timing...

So dig out your tee (you do have one, right?) and put about 100-300 swings on the ball from the tee, paying close attention to making it very smooth... Then take another 100 pitches in live bp to actually time that comfortable swing to the pitch...

%%%

huzzdog

retired
do you guys all hit off a tee? i've never done it in my life. i don't take bp really either now.. but that's a time issue

huzzdog

retired
it teaches muscle memory and focus. really helps with consistancy

i figure it teaches you how to hit one pitch in one place without having to determine ball or strike. is it floating in or out.. is it the right pitch to hit back side or pull. what is the situation asking for. are you telling me that you make the same swing all the time?

i don't see this as golf. the ball isn't stationary and reacting to where a pitch is and what type of swing you have to make doesn't happen on a tee.

BigCrazy

Addicted to Softballfans
my bat goes where my eyes go. and you are entitled to your opion. tee work will make you better all im saying.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use a tee to break in a bat if time is an issue. I don't like it otherwise.

I've had trouble getting under the ball when going from bal to el, but not the other way around.

mattya420

Manager
I use a tee to stay loose and keep the swing muscles active when i cant get out for BP. Too much tee work will create bad habits and timing issues if you're not careful.

lcky3

Addicted to Softballfans
i figure it teaches you how to hit one pitch in one place without having to determine ball or strike. is it floating in or out.. is it the right pitch to hit back side or pull. what is the situation asking for. are you telling me that you make the same swing all the time?

i don't see this as golf. the ball isn't stationary and reacting to where a pitch is and what type of swing you have to make doesn't happen on a tee.

Um, it's called move the tee around to simulate different situations for ball placement. It's not designed to be a catch-all problem solver anyway.

Does teach consistency in your batting mechanics, and helps teach memory focus of where you want to make contact.

Only live BP will completely do what you're talking about. I imagine the pitcher throwing the ball so I'm not staring at the ball on the tee, and that helps. Also helps with timing.

You should have one swing. I don't play any upper level, but I would think anybody who watches your at-bats regularly will figure out by your body movement where you're going with the ball. Not giving them that cue would be an advantage IMO.

huzzdog

retired
i don't just have one swing. i have an inside out swing... a cut swing.. a hr. swing. body rotation and lower half is the same.. upper half and hands along with swing plane very different.

but hey.. i'm not a swing guru.. much like golf i'm a feel player. i envision something then i ask my body to do it. hitting off a tee isn't for me

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I use a tee to break in a bat if time is an issue. I don't like it otherwise.

Yep, I swing Eastons so tee work is pretty much mandatory for me. If I could get buddies to come out and throw me hundreds of swings a week, I'd throw my tee away. Until that happens...

You should have one swing.

Homeruns to use and bases loaded, your swing is the same as when you're leading off an inning?

i don't just have one swing. i have an inside out swing... a cut swing.. a hr. swing.

A "keep it in the park" swing, a "don't hit it at their drunk pitcher" swing...

body rotation and lower half is the same.. upper half and hands along with swing plane very different.

I agree. And the only way for me to keep my body rotation/lower half consistent is to hit lots of balls.

Some people need more maintenance work, some people can go all winter without swinging and then start smashing balls their first time out. I'm one of the former.

lcky3

Addicted to Softballfans
That's where things get weird for me. I love more endload but the less endload or more balanced something is the more I can really whip the crap out of it with an overlap.

I've noticed I hit better with a slight endload as well. I drop the bottom pinky and 3 top fingers.

I don't try to hit home runs per se, I just follow Ken's advice of swinging level to up and then hitting top half or bottom half as it dictates. Take what they give you and not swing out of your shoes. If I want to go the other way, I just let the pitch go a little deeper.

I stand pretty far up in the box, so pretty hard for a pitcher to throw me to one side or the other for a set defense.

obagain

Dr. bats are for wimps

It is mostly for mechanics.
You can work on spicific things without worrying about pitch selection.
You can teach yourself to hit an inside pitch to right or an outside pitch to left, most don't have reliable pitchers to work on that stuff.
If you are happy with doing ok you don't need a tee.
If you want to get better you use any tool to do that.

TwistITup

Manager
i don't just have one swing. i have an inside out swing... a cut swing.. a hr. swing. body rotation and lower half is the same.. upper half and hands along with swing plane very different.

but hey.. i'm not a swing guru.. much like golf i'm a feel player. i envision something then i ask my body to do it. hitting off a tee isn't for me
All of this.

huzzdog

retired
It is mostly for mechanics.
You can work on spicific things without worrying about pitch selection.
You can teach yourself to hit an inside pitch to right or an outside pitch to left, most don't have reliable pitchers to work on that stuff.
If you are happy with doing ok you don't need a tee.
If you want to get better you use any tool to do that.

unless somebody is watching you and/ or video taping you how do you recognize mechanical breakdowns? and if you have somebody there why aren't they pitching to you.

if you recognize the mechanical issues without video or somebody watching.. why are you swinging the wrong way? if your feel is that good your swing should be too.

Dars

Addicted to Softballfans
Dont use a tee then Huzzdog. That was easy. You obviously dont need to hit off a tee, your mechanics are always perfect, and your swing never needs improving.