Hitting over 300 plus

Bubaloo

Manager
I've have been playing now for a few years, in 4 different leagues.
I'll admit I don't play in "high level" but mostly beer league where talent is mixed. However so many threads here talk about people hitting bombs, but where I am I don't see it. I'm no all star but I can hit about 360 on a good day. Yet, in all these leagues I have seen very few people hit over the 310 footers we have at our feilds. We actually don't have home run rules because not many dudes can do it.
So I'm just curious how many are actually hitting homers and are your leagues different? For arguments sake we use the worth hot dots, Asa and u trip bats aloud.

So how far are u really hitting?

4_everABN

--[[[-----]]]-- Too Easy!
300ft is no problem... 350+ is a bomb to me, but any body can hit 301 with the bats today.

Bubaloo

Manager
300ft is no problem... 350+ is a bomb to me, but any body can hit 301 with the bats today.

I would think the same thing. But I've seen very few.
I would agree 350 plus is quite a hit especially with hot dots
The harder balls though are less impressive with the crazy bats

MaMaLuLu

Addicted to Softballfans
with hot dots and a stock 100mph bat in normal conditions, I'd say 350 is a nice shot, 375 is a bomb and 400 is a monstrous shot worth telling your mom about. With a strong back wind 400 feet is not very hard to attain. I'd say most of the spectacular 400+ shots heard on these boards from Z leaguers where caused by the wind. I'm sure LHB guys can hit 400 feet in normal conditions though

rainbow warrior

Addicted to Softballfans
We have about 280' fences at our parks, and our league uses the worst balls ever,, the .40 .275, so I'm sure this makes a difference. I see 1 HR per game at most . It's been this way for 4 yrs. I still want to see videos of someone hitting bombs with this ball...

SoCalChappy619

Addicted to Softballfans
The Asa black hot dots really aren't bad balls. I say 300-350 are home runs. 350-400 is a bomb 400+ is a god damn bomb.

pontiacfb78

Star Player
I play in a beer league with a big range of teams. Only 3-4 of the guys on our team can hit over 275, with one guy who can hit 300+. We use the .44 core 300 balls and just switched from ASA to Utrip bats with the SPN rule changes.

B~TOWN

Addicted to Softballfans
Lower rec or beer leagues nobody should be hitting bombs if they are they should move up in competition and quit sandbagging .

DRock88

What's the problem here?
I can hit 300-320 on accident. I'm not real sure how far some of my longer HRs have gone but I'm generally not swinging for it. I usually ending hitting a knuckleball or top spin liner if I really try to sack up on one.

I'm usually hitting Classic Ms with new stamp Utrip bats, mostly the new line of Worths.

obagain

Dr. bats are for wimps
Contrary to those here most rec leaguers don't have or want to put the time in to be a good hitter.
Most rec leaguers will never hit more than a hand full of hr in their careers, even with the bats today because it does take some skill to hit 300.
Different areas will see different results, if you live in a large city you will have more players so you will see more HR.
In areas where you see better balls or higher altitudes you will see more HR.
So it might be you only see a few per season or you could see 5-10 a night.

Triple7

Addicted to Softballfans
I'll say everyone on my league team can hit 350-300 not on command but can do it.
Only a fee can get behind that, and one guy can hit 400ft on command.
I fall into 350-375 range most of the time. (4 c tourney players on the team, myself included)

softballin101

Addicted to Softballfans
The way that people talk, you would think that you see homeruns all the time. From my experience, I might see 1 or 2 a game and that is from what I've seen in about 4 leagues. Even in tournaments, (military B), you'll definitely see a couple a game, maybe see a few. There was a tournament that I played in consisting of all SBF members and the fields were about 285 and I think the homeruns in that tournament were about 10 a game because everyone could hit plus the other teams were using shaved bats supposedly.

Well Im a e/d player and my leagues are pretty stacked up with HR hitters, most of which are on the same couple teams, those are the d+ teams. When we play on 275' if you lift it it should go out. When we play on 310' you see who really has pop and who is just riding the new bats magic. 300' for me is that magic line. Pop ups easily go 275 but fall before 300. Homeruns go 300' plus. 350 isn't out of the question for me but that is a shot. My farthest was in BP and was google earthed to the parking spot at 408 and was about 15' above the playing field. But truth be told, any homerun I hit is memorable because I'm not a good enough hitter to consistently do it. If I'm on, look out...or wait a couple hours because I will be peppering your SS with mi**** grounders. Its not the distance that is impressive, its when a guy does it consistently, when everyone knows he is going to do it.

Bubaloo

Manager
awesome responses thanks. I see im not alone, its not as rampant as you think these 350 footers. even 300 with the hot dots is a nice hit.

Bubaloo

Manager
I play in a beer league with a big range of teams. Only 3-4 of the guys on our team can hit over 275, with one guy who can hit 300+. We use the .44 core 300 balls and just switched from ASA to Utrip bats with the SPN rule changes.

what league? I play lower mainland aswell.

couple "outlaw" style ones where no umps ect, then Burnaby slo pitch

white_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
Id say around here there are a lot of people who can hit 300-330, quite a bit who can hit those on command but usually not many are over 350.

*Insert brag post* However ive used a distance tool on the net that calculated 2 balls I have hit to be over 400. One being a 52/300 x-rock and the other being whatever we use in utrip (lonestar 52/275 maybe?).

Bubaloo

Manager
I would say those who obsess a bit more about softball enough to post on online forums probably take a bit more time in practice and BP, so I would probably say your right in more people here hit over 300 then those in most our leagues
brag post or not its part of the game hitting far or not at all. brag away.

DRock88

What's the problem here?
At least 80% of the swings I've seen by board members on here are horrific. I find it very unlikely that more people on here hit over 300.

scrub

Addicted to Softballfans
Yes, the average sbf poster = the average league player aka: can't hit a ball 300 feet. Check "Never hit a HR club" for proof.

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
with hot dots and a stock 100mph bat in normal conditions, I'd say 350 is a nice shot, 375 is a bomb and 400 is a monstrous shot worth telling your mom about. With a strong back wind 400 feet is not very hard to attain.

LOL.

You really need to take BP on a baseball diamond sometime. Guarantee most of the guys you'd swear hit 375' are going to five hop a 350' sign.

moorerm04

Addicted to Softballfans
In league where I live we play on big ass fields for ASA 310' corners and 340' alley's. With Dudley thunder heats and new stamped ASA bats use all 4 of our HR's every game.

J2U

2.5 Tool Player
between city and county our league nights are mon-thurs (coed fri) and are played on fields 285-300 all around. i think its pretty good competition (the other day a teammate told me Chris Greinert plays in our leagues 1 night a week) but i'd say 70% of the teams are D level, 20% E, and 10% C or better. so basically every night we have home run limits, as few as 3 and as many as 5, with any hr over that an out unless the other team has reached the limit also in which case it becomes 1-up. i think every single game i've played in so far this season at least 1 of the 2 teams has hit their limit, and there multiple games per week where both teams hit the limit and go 1-up. on my team only our pitcher and catcher cant go yard. for city and county leagues we only use .52/300's, but we are allowed to use asa and utrip bats with a banned bat list including stuff like all senior bats, ultra's, voltage, lady virus, synergy 1&2, og freak, titaniums, etc.

this will sound like a brag post but... last thurs we were killing a team in the 4th inning getting close to the mercy rule. and since we had already hit our hr limit and there were 2 outs, i turned around to bat lefty to keep it in, and i said jokingly to the umpire and catcher that i was point shaving. but sure enough, first pitch is chest high, took a nice easy swing just turning my hips and not even putting my weight into it, and of course i hit it 3/4 of the way up the trees beyond the 285 fence. the ump, who i play with on mon nights, just laughed at me and shook his head while calling it the 3rd out.

Rdd/Easton 10

The Veteran
I'd say go to a baseball field where center field says it's 400 and try hitting it out to center...u will be amazed at how far it is to carry a ball 400 feet. Guys assuming or judging they hit balls 400 feet will be brought to reality when they keep coming up 20 feet short.

andyschwing

Schwing batter batter!
Our fences are 300 feet and we are allowed 2 dingers per game. Latest league night I walked first time up because besides the first pitch, I couldn't reach anything. Catcher blabbed out that I didn't want to swing anyway. Next at bat I hit an accidental solo to oppo field. Another teammate hit the 2nd homerun not too long later so I couldn't try for a hr til the next game. 2nd game I got up with 2 on and one out in the first, smashed a nice liner over the fence, on purpose. Didn't get up again with runners on, so that was it for swinging for the fence. I'm 5'9" 175 lbs, we hit 52/300 dudley sy balls, I used my 30oz Fu with less than 100 swings. My league is ASA but isn't really designated as a certain level. I'd say the teams range from rec to D and they set up the schedule so you play mostly with teams close to the same ability. Within the top 3 teams or so, there seems to be a few players that can hit homeruns almost on call and a bunch that will swing for the fence and get one every so often.

Fuzz

Extra Hitter
In my baseball days I've cleared 325-400 more regular than softball. I consider a bomb 375-400+. 300-335 isn't too much of a task with someone lobbing a big bright yellow softball imo. Now the m stamp trash they pitch in utrip coed in 90deg heat is tough to put out consistently. Like hitting a rolled up sock

bambinos

1992-93
No one on my team can hit 350. We play 340 corners and 360 center. We play with 52 , 275 HOT DOTS!!! In our league there are only 4-5 guys that can do it.

exccsracer

Scrooge McBase
Our fields here are 300' and my longest shot is about 315'. I feel good when I can hit a Classic M out when it's 90 deg and 90% humidity. It's nothing compared to what you can see on any given league night. 330' line drives, moonshots that hang for 5-8 seconds to drop right over the fence, and a 400+ shot that cleared the fence, a playground, the second fence and exited the complex. That was, by far, the longest softball hr I've ever seen in person. To be fair though, we have a shaved bat problem here so there's some help.