Hitting up the Middle

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
You're wrong. Again, not everyone is as skilled as you. Please keep talking about how great of a hitter you are, and how cowards that hit up the middle have no skill at all.

So, you're one of those guys who rips middle all day long to try to get hits? OK. I'll stick with what I said. You can choose to agree with it or not.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
This is the biggest crock of horse****. First off, it does take talent to shred the middle. I've seen your team play and know what level of the game you guys compete at. If you hit and play at the level you do, guys are expecting shots in the 1/6 and 1/4 holes. Sometimes pitchers get hit/hurt. The only people that cry about the middle getting blasted are E players or lower.

Hate to say it, but I'd feel like the world's biggest tool if I strode to the plate with a DC41 and whizzed one by a pitcher. I could do that every AB of every game if I so chose. I don't care how good a fielder the guy is, how well he's armored up, or how much I dislike him. I don't want to put a ball anywhere NEAR a pitcher with a bat that could leave him dead on the mound. Getting on base is not such a chore that I'm willing to put a man's life at risk to do so.

Softball is a game. A GAME. I find no justification for hitting balls anywhere near the pitcher. Plus, guys who continually shoot middle are well known and eventually become reviled among the softball community. After a while who the hell wants to pitch to a guy who continually pisses the ball up the middle with hot bats?

I realize the very great majority of guys who hit middle aren't trying to hit the pitcher, but does that make you feel any better on those occasions when you "miss" one and it leaves a guy writhing on the ground in pain?

WillW3

Starting Player
So, you're one of those guys who rips middle all day long to try to get hits? OK. I'll stick with what I said. You can choose to agree with it or not.
No, I'm not. I don't agree with you. I think I've made that pretty clear. But don't call out everyone basically saying that they're inferior hitters to you if they hit the middle. That's bull****, and completely false.

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
Reading all the follow-up comments, there are multiple options to protect yourself and make yourself a better fielder. Yes, a pitcher has stricter boundaries than an infielder, but there are still many ways to work around that.

• Take 2-3 steps back after release, but make sure you're set with the glove up before contact.
  • Learn to pitch by striding backward, or set up your release so that you're not moving forward with the pitch, and you can move back even further.
  • Don't watch the pitch (one of my common failings with a league that uses a mat). Ask your catcher for feedback on pitch location.
  • Most important, get some equipment
Done.
That's the big one for me ... sometimes I watch the pitch. I have to really concern myself with watching the better. When you watch the batter it really does increase reaction time

mav3134

Manager
Hate to say it, but I'd feel like the world's biggest tool if I strode to the plate with a DC41 and whizzed one by a pitcher. I could do that every AB of every game if I so chose. I don't care how good a fielder the guy is, how well he's armored up, or how much I dislike him. I don't want to put a ball anywhere NEAR a pitcher with a bat that could leave him dead on the mound. Getting on base is not such a chore that I'm willing to put a man's life at risk to do so.

Softball is a game. A GAME. I find no justification for hitting balls anywhere near the pitcher. Plus, guys who continually shoot middle are well known and eventually become reviled among the softball community. After a while who the hell wants to pitch to a guy who continually pisses the ball up the middle with hot bats?

I realize the very great majority of guys who hit middle aren't trying to hit the pitcher, but does that make you feel any better on those occasions when you "miss" one and it leaves a guy writhing on the ground in pain?

Everything about this is what I'm talking about. It's a game. Yes, you are completely within your right in the rules of softball to destroy a pitch up the middle. Congrats for that. But just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. There is 99% of the rest of the field to get a hit. It shouldn't be that hard to learn how to hit it to those locations where the chances of injuring somebody are much much less.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Everything about this is what I'm talking about. It's a game. Yes, you are completely within your right in the rules of softball to destroy a pitch up the middle. Congrats for that. But just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. There is 99% of the rest of the field to get a hit. It shouldn't be that hard to learn how to hit it to those locations where the chances of injuring somebody are much much less.

That was exactly the point I was trying to make. I'm not talking about rec players with zero bat control who occasionally buzz the tower. I'm talking about guys who are skilled hitters, yet who still go up to the plate looking to blast middle more often than not. Yes its a viable hole and yes you may reach base, but there is zero chivalry in it. In my earlier years I hit a few pitchers (before I had any conception of bat control). Now that I can steer the ball around decently (and with extreme power), I'll do anything I can to avoid hitting a ball even in the vicinity of the pitcher. If that costs me a hit or two every now and then I can live with it. Better that than being known as a middle shooter who has a long list of hurt pitchers on their resume.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's not even that for me. Good hitters try and hit it where the defense isn't. The guys you seem to be talking about are the guys that think it's super cool to try and hit it right at a guy and make him get out of the way for a hit. We all want to hit it where if we make a mistake it's still too hot to handle, but the guys that intentionally try and do that to pitchers more often than not are douchebags.

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
You can be like Huzz... hit the guy. Trot to first. Then think about buying him a beer the next time he sees him

TheKid33

Star Player
First post on here in 2 years.. Happy to see that not much has changed!

In regards to hitting up the middle: I try not to do it in league, but it happens sometimes. Tournament: swing away. Never with the intent of trying to injure a pitcher, but as others have said, taking what the defense gives me.

As far as defending against it, I haven't pitched other than batting practice. I don't have the skill or the will to take the mound. But if I had to, I'd definitely be busting out the catchers gear for the evening.

Madbeers

Boss Awesomesauce

That was exactly the point I was trying to make. I'm not talking about rec players with zero bat control who occasionally buzz the tower. I'm talking about guys who are skilled hitters, yet who still go up to the plate looking to blast middle more often than not. Yes its a viable hole and yes you may reach base, but there is zero chivalry in it. In my earlier years I hit a few pitchers (before I had any conception of bat control). Now that I can steer the ball around decently (and with extreme power), I'll do anything I can to avoid hitting a ball even in the vicinity of the pitcher. If that costs me a hit or two every now and then I can live with it. Better that than being known as a middle shooter who has a long list of hurt pitchers on their resume.

I think we should take a vote for who sounds like the biggest tool. Hahaha.

Just so we're clear... When I play league or lower level teams, I stay out of the middle. Getting hit in the face by a softball hurts. :Last thing I want to do is cause someone else pain. Now, if I'm playing in a tournament setting and my goal is to get the next guy up, if those are the holes given to me, I'll take em. I don't play the highest level of ball by any means, but the teams that do play higher don't say a damn word if a ball goes near them. It's the rec and lower teams that ***** about it.

On a side note, I coach baseball to kids 10-13yrs old. I'll say the same thing to you as I did to them after about 2 practices.... To give you some context, I noticed the habit of kids backing out of the box on pitches inside. Terrible habit right? Why would they do that? Easy right? They're afraid of getting beaned. So, back to what I told them... "If you're afraid of getting hurt, don't play sports." Injuries happen. It's part of the game we choose to play. If you have a problem with balls getting hit at or near your pitcher, I suggest you take up chess or band. Hell, with your "extreme power" you'd be a badass on the drums.

Country469

Its almost always guys who don't pitch that do the following;

1. brag about how hard they hit the ball and their own prowess at the plate
2. talk **** to pitchers
3. start **** they don't have to finish or be in anyway.

most pitchers;
1. know when its intentional and just make mental notes
2. are prepared to get hit either way
3. are man enough to be there and know what the game is all about.

When I start complaining about guys hitting the middle will be when I stop wearing a glove and recording outs.

Chrisklol

301' Bombs
Middle is a big part of the game. The whole point of the game is to hit it where there are less defenders. Never aim to hurt the pitcher, but going by middle is just smart move a good amount of the time, even more so when you are out of home runs.

I am not going to try and risk hitting a hard liner to left center to risk it spinning out of the park. I would rather hit a hard liner passed the middle.

Chrisklol

301' Bombs
Now that I can steer the ball around decently (and with extreme power), I'll do anything I can to avoid hitting a ball even in the vicinity of the pitcher. If that costs me a hit or two every now and then I can live with it. Better that than being known as a middle shooter who has a long list of hurt pitchers on their resume.

The extreme power thing is debatable. Also if you are so good at steering the ball around and never hitting middle and getting on the base all the time. Why aren't you showing some the greats how to as well?

I have seen many many many middle shots from the likes of Greg Connell, Andy Purcell, Bubba Mack, ETC.

Why cant they just put the ball wherever they want without ever going middle? Maybe they should contact you to learn more about this sport.

Country469

The extreme power thing is debatable. Also if you are so good at steering the ball around and never hitting middle and getting on the base all the time. Why aren't you showing some the greats how to as well?

I have seen many many many middle shots from the likes of Greg Connell, Andy Purcell, Bubba Mack, ETC.

Why cant they just put the ball wherever they want without ever going middle? Maybe they should contact you to learn more about this sport.

If I could love this post I would. I'd make sweet love to it too. I was thinking the same.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tw is playing the game for fun, while those guys are getting paid to do it. There is a slight difference there if you want to compare apples to apples.

I've also seen tw hit very long bombs at Sea level. He's the only person I've seen hit a homerun, switch to the other side of the plate and hit another on the next pitch. Ijs

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not a bad as her Wallace though, right? I saw him blast middle on a backup c pitcher.

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
I am not going to try and risk hitting a hard liner to left center to risk it spinning out of the park. I would rather hit a hard liner passed the middle.

Even if it sends the guy to the hospital? Not everyone on the mound is a black hole. Some people are out there for the first time. Those league t-shirts are important!

WillW3

Starting Player

Chris if you didn't live on the other side of the country, swear to god I'd pay your bar tab for the night.

Country469

plenty of coed and church leagues out there for the guys just looking to have fun and not compete, nothing wrong with playing those