Hitting up the Middle

Country469

According to USSSA's testing standards (hahaha I am def joking) its not possible for someone to not have ample time to react.

Worst softball injury I've ever seen was on 3b, line drive that broke the orbital. **** happens. Its up to LD's to make safe equip rules and players to use equipment when nec. Joker will harp on guys for not using the search function, but anyone playing softball who googles pitching will find out they need equip on to be safe. Now, for the 57 year old pitcher who refuses, well, ignorance is a choice.

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
According to USSSA's testing standards (hahaha I am def joking) its not possible for someone to not have ample time to react.

Worst softball injury I've ever seen was on 3b, line drive that broke the orbital. **** happens. Its up to LD's to make safe equip rules and players to use equipment when nec. Joker will harp on guys for not using the search function, but anyone playing softball who googles pitching will find out they need equip on to be safe. Now, for the 57 year old pitcher who refuses, well, ignorance is a choice.

What about the kid who steps on the mound for the first time because he shows up and his team's pitcher isn't there? Felt bad for him because he never threw a pitch above 5' and the umpire kept calling them strikes.

Country469

What about the kid who steps on the mound for the first time because he shows up and his team's pitcher isn't there? Felt bad for him because he never threw a pitch above 5' and the umpire kept calling them strikes.

Right, so we've identified this as being a less than competitive situation and in that case IDT anyone is going middle on purpose. The debate is about competitive environments.

WillW3

Starting Player
One of the worst injuries I've seen was a chopper hit down the 3B line, took a nasty hop, hit the guy in the face and broke a lot of ****. He had plenty of time to react and the directors chose what is considered a safer ball. Freak stuff happens. It's part of it.

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
Right, so we've identified this as being a less than competitive situation and in that case IDT anyone is going middle on purpose. The debate is about competitive environments.

That was me in D states a few years ago. Didn't know our pitcher wasn't there until game time.

lilhoff

Coach
Worst injuries I've seen always come from fielders colliding.
Also saw a guy dive for a ball and catch his glove on the ground bending his wrist back breaking it, then landing on his elbow dislocating it.
I've seen a few pitchers take a shot but equipment has saved them. This is the deciding factor in most cases I suspect. Without the equipment I would hate to see the outcome.

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
To me it's all about who you're playing. If it's a D and above tournament then every pitcher who takes the mound knows what's up. They should be ready to defend

If it's league or a Rec tournament where 61 yr old pastor bob is pitching then stay out of the middle.

Have common sense

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Worst injuries I've seen? Pitchers... hit by guys who have bat control, yet still insist on going middle because they're too lazy or simply unwilling to pull or push the ball.

Once you've hit a pitcher hard enough to see him on the ground bleeding out of his ear, you might re adjust your thoughts on "hitting middle is just a part of the game".

You guys get all outraged like a bunch of snowflakes on here. Holy crap, words really do hurt.

Chrisklol

301' Bombs
Worst injuries I've seen? Pitchers... hit by guys who have bat control, yet still insist on going middle because they're too lazy or simply unwilling to pull or push the ball.

Once you've hit a pitcher hard enough to see him on the ground bleeding out of his ear, you might re adjust your thoughts on "hitting middle is just a part of the game".

You guys get all outraged like a bunch of snowflakes on here. Holy crap, words really do hurt.
We are the snowflakes? Yet you are the one telling us that it isn't safe to hit a softball towards the biggest hole on the field.

If you scared go to church!

Like someone before me said, you don't go middle ever in rec ball or league. Tournament time comes, you do what you need to do to get on base.

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
This debate will continue to recycle --- But the link in my sig line is about being safe as a pitcher...

I don't play high level ball - but I'm 30-40 years older than most of the guys on my team & that I play against...

Being safe at pitching is, at it's core, a mindset --- But pitching from a 'protected magic circle' or from behind a screen creates an unhealthy mindset --- a mindset of frailty...

If ASA wanted to make pitching safer, they would allow the 6' pitching box in all divisions - When the pitcher uses that space, it creates 10% more reaction time - And since ASA was dumb enough to lower the pitch height to 10', it helps the pitcher to regain some of the variety to pitching that was removed when they lowered the 12' ceiling...

If pitchers really want to be safe from known 'middle' hitters, just walk them - it's part of the game...

Other than full hockey gear, the best way a pitcher has to maximize their safety is to take two short steps back after the pitch, set your feet, have a spring in your knees and put your glove in front of your heart (so you can protect your face or your family jewels)... Expect every hit to come straight back at you - Prepare for that - Concentrate your mind on bat/ball contact to get every possible nano-second of response time...

Walk away while you're still alive if you don't have the reactions for pitching or move to another position - DO NOT PITCH if you are afraid of doing so - That worry will distract you from doing what keeps you safe...

As someone else mentioned - every sport has inherent risks - take them seriously - but don't change the game to satisfy your inadequacies - either by making hotter bats or creating 'magic circles'...

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
This debate will continue to recycle --- But the link in my sig line is about being safe as a pitcher...

I don't play high level ball - but I'm 30-40 years older than most of the guys on my team & that I play against...

Being safe at pitching is, at it's core, a mindset --- But pitching from a 'protected magic circle' or from behind a screen creates an unhealthy mindset --- a mindset of frailty...

If ASA wanted to make pitching safer, they would allow the 6' pitching box in all divisions - When the pitcher uses that space, it creates 10% more reaction time - And since ASA was dumb enough to lower the pitch height to 10', it helps the pitcher to regain some of the variety to pitching that was removed when they lowered the 12' ceiling...

If pitchers really want to be safe from known 'middle' hitters, just walk them - it's part of the game...

Other than full hockey gear, the best way a pitcher has to maximize their safety is to take two short steps back after the pitch, set your feet, have a spring in your knees and put your glove in front of your heart (so you can protect your face or your family jewels)... Expect every hit to come straight back at you - Prepare for that - Concentrate your mind on bat/ball contact to get every possible nano-second of response time...

Walk away while you're still alive if you don't have the reactions for pitching or move to another position - DO NOT PITCH if you are afraid of doing so - That worry will distract you from doing what keeps you safe...

As someone else mentioned - every sport has inherent risks - take them seriously - but don't change the game to satisfy your inadequacies - either by making hotter bats or creating 'magic circles'...

With current umpires that make you drop the ball within a foot or less behind the plate, that 6' box doesn't help as much as you'd think. You add a dimension of timing, but the exchange is you pretty much have to throw cookies to do it. If they really wanted to make the game more balanced for pitchers and the defense they'd make the batter's boxes more narrow, or at least say you can't be touching any part of the line. That includes the front of the box especially. Also, learn some damned geometry. We play catch to warm up and throw the ball overhand and it hits six feet and we catch it below our shoulder all the time. Do these knuckle draggers really not realize how hard I have to throw a 6-7 foot pitch for it to really be over that back shoulder?

Jerrshoe

This is interesting. I'm actually quite surprised at the number of responses that advocate that hitting middle makes you a jerk. I suppose a likely follow up question would be...if the second baseman isn't very talented, does it make you an ******* if you hit line drives at him all day long? The idea is to win the game, that is the goal. If the pitcher isn't able to defend the position, then perhaps the pitcher should find another place to play.

1) Every pitcher has a glove and the ability to wear whatever protective gear they choose. No pitcher is defenseless except by their own choice.
2) There are wooden bat leagues, leagues with sponge balls, higher arch, etc. If you cant defend yourself, find an alternate league.
3) Nobody is forced to pitch. You don't get to say "I want to pitch as long as nobody hits the ball to me".
4) Hitting middle is part of the game. If a hitter chooses to hit there every at bat, then good for them. But keep in mind, everyone has that same opportunity.

chleb

Addicted to Softballfans
Interesting comments all around. The leagues I play in all allow defenses to have 11, which equates to everyone playing a 5 man infield and standard 4 outfield. Hitting middle does not guarantee a hit, guys do but not always successfully.....

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
Interesting comments all around. The leagues I play in all allow defenses to have 11, which equates to everyone playing a 5 man infield and standard 4 outfield. Hitting middle does not guarantee a hit, guys do but not always successfully.....
One important aspect players in both sides of this argument need to remember... hitting middle and hitting opposite the 5 man are two different things

blakcherry329

This is interesting. I'm actually quite surprised at the number of responses that advocate that hitting middle makes you a jerk. I suppose a likely follow up question would be...if the second baseman isn't very talented, does it make you an ******* if you hit line drives at him all day long? The idea is to win the game, that is the goal. If the pitcher isn't able to defend the position, then perhaps the pitcher should find another place to play.

1) Every pitcher has a glove and the ability to wear whatever protective gear they choose. No pitcher is defenseless except by their own choice.
2) There are wooden bat leagues, leagues with sponge balls, higher arch, etc. If you cant defend yourself, find an alternate league.
3) Nobody is forced to pitch. You don't get to say "I want to pitch as long as nobody hits the ball to me".
4) Hitting middle is part of the game. If a hitter chooses to hit there every at bat, then good for them. But keep in mind, everyone has that same opportunity.
over simplify much??? You generalizing a tad bit too much.

99% of the people that pitch aren't scared or they wouldn't be pitching.(not count people forced to pitch because of circumstances). I'm so tired of the "pitcher has a glove, blah blah blah" argument. It's a lot harder to catch a ball from 50-60' away than it is from a regular position. How many 3B or 1B play even with the bag??? I'll wait... Let alone a 2b, that in all likelihood, is playing in RF. smh
I pitched because I knew how to throw a knuckleball. I played 3rd and I did play even with the bag, so pitching didn't scare me. But that was modified, so it was a little different.
I don't agree with the pitchers that get pissed about middle shots, either. Having said that, there are aholes that like to hit middle as an intimidation factor. Hitting middle is fine. I'm not going to make an out cuz I don't want to hit an outside pitch up the middle. I don't, as a general rule, hit middle, however. If there is a guy that hits middle all the time, then he might get walked sometimes, just to piss him off. Every team has guys that have no problem shooting middle to send a message. That's when things can get out of hand.

Everyone that hits middle is not a jerk, but there are jerks that hit middle.

Country469

3 times in a row is pretty good aim, dude musta been mouthing off. What teams/locale was this? Wanna see if I was there ha