How are you guys playing during the covid era?

Chembry

Addicted to Softballfans
I love how this board has become all about grown men looking for excuses NOT to play the game they supposedly love. Its really sad and disheartening to see everyone buy the fear narrative and meekly give up on softball for the year.

I understand you don't think this virus real or being over inflated. I would love to sit down with you and explain how that kind of thinking has put the US at higher risk. However, I know that it won't do us any good. I know that any amount of scientific data I show you will be labelled as political and has a political agenda. I can explain in great detail about how the studies were designed, any shortcomings in the data, and what the data means.

I can also explain how the data has changed our thinking surrounding the virus. Most people assume that they are being lied to, which isn't the case. I like to compare it to buying a house to renovate. You perform a walk through and assess what work needs to be done (ie gather initial data). However, that initial scope of work changes when you get in and start the demolition (ie gather more data). Same thing here. We gather initial data and interpret what we see. When we start digging deeper that data starts to change our initial interpretations. I don't understand why that is so hard to comprehend. We knew absolutely nothing about this virus until late 2019. This is a different coronavirus than that of the original SARS outbreak in 2003.

I don't want to talk about politics. This virus isn't political. It has no party affiliation. It doesn't know race. It doesn't know gender. Politics has no place in this argument. Take politics out of the scenario and look at the data for what it is, a public health situation.

What are you going to do when this doesn't disappear in November?

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree on the participation (or lack of) our LD keeps saying our leagues are bigger (more teams)than ever, its a damn lie, when i started playing 35+ years ago our leagues were fill every night of the week except for Saturdays with 14 teams per division and 3 or 4 divisions per night, now they struggle to get more than 4 or 5 teams per night/division. And yes the dumb crap sandbaggin bs has not been detoured much here either, we have those travel teams that play rec league (to get some swings in) umm ok, that itself is why participation is down around here. Personally i dont care who we play i know all of them, playes with some of them but where there are team that are truly rec teams they get beat up for a season sometimes two and say screw it.
Asa tried to balance the game, and everyone else forgot what the game was. Utrip thinks everyone comes over from baseball and has a high e level of skill, but this game was at it's height when you could bring a ball and your glove to a work picnic and literally just pick teams. Now, if those people want to form a league team they have to play a tournament team, and that's not good for anyone.

We play a league that is almost exclusively workteams, because there aren't enough teams for an upper and a lower anymore. There aren't enough athletes coming to softball from baseball, or even all sports, to keep the game afloat without these entry level players that utrip has completely abandoned.

dunkky

I love how this board has become all about grown men looking for excuses NOT to play the game they supposedly love. Its really sad and disheartening to see everyone buy the fear narrative and meekly give up on softball for the year.

I know everyone has a different reason, but in general, it's the opposite. I am not talking about giving up anything. we want to preserve what we got going now. All it takes a league to shut down, 1 or 2 infected player, period. Mask or social distancing doesn't guarantee anything, but if everyone wears it and do social distancing, it will increase the odds exponentially.

The league you are umpiring or playing, you don't want to see infected players increasing cuz that would mean zero softballs for you.

Chembry

Addicted to Softballfans
I agree with you on most things, but you're so far into the alt-right blogosphere or whatever's got you twisted you can't even see it. Your logic applies literally against your argument, and much more effectively.

I've seen you post that bats are too hot, we all have to go to work on Monday. Now you're saying, who cares if people die, we need to get out on the field. This whole man up, ignore the fear mongering, stand up for your rights, is just fear mongering in the other direction. Are we still Americans if we have to wear masks? Well, yeah, if we drop all this tribal politics and come together like we did after 9/11. Otherwise, the Russians are getting exactly what they wanted this whole time.

I'm not meekly giving up ****. I'm wearing a mask to try and get everything back faster. I'm staying away from people I didn't really care about at the fields anyway to try and keep us from having an outbreak at the fields which will end the year for the rest of the year. I'm doing what I can to play as much as I can , while not sacrificing my family and 10-20% of everyone I know.

It's like the entire country has forgotten that an ounce of prevention is a pound of cure. If a mask can prevent the spread up to 80% you're damned right I'm wearing one, and when the news says 80% of people are wearing them inside they mean in the damned grocery store. We're not wearing them in our damned houses by ourselves. Everyone, on both sides of this country, need to give others a little more benefit of the doubt, and use a lot more common sense.

This is an excellent post, especially the parts I've highlighted in bold.

tonys1

If this was indeed a man-made virus meant for economic warfare, the US is a perfect target. Between the Karen’s and the uneducated political experts, this is never going away.

I don’t care for this garbage virus, but I don’t think that wearing a mask is a violation of my rights. I think it’s stupid as **** that Fauci can’t even figure out if masks are required in March, but whatever.

Redsfan

Having to wear a mask now is like when they started the mandatory seat belt law. Some people thought the world was ending because they govt was telling them to wear a seat belt. Now it's no big deal to put it on. I'm sure seat belts saved many lives of dip****s that didn't want to wear it. Masks aren't any different. A few months from now it may be second nature to put one on.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Having to wear a mask now is like when they started the mandatory seat belt law. Some people thought the world was ending because they govt was telling them to wear a seat belt. Now it's no big deal to put it on. I'm sure seat belts saved many lives of dip****s that didn't want to wear it. Masks aren't any different. A few months from now it may be second nature to put one on.
I prefer the no shirt, no shoes, no service movement, but you're right. Nobody wants to see me buying produce shirtless, and wearing a mask is about the same rights wise imo.

I also can't help but think how these "my rights" people sat on their tongues when it was about smoking in public. Didn't care so much about peoples rights to allow smoking in their bars and restaurants when it was something they didn't care about. Well, I've quit smoking and can just sit back and laugh at them clutching their pearls now.

ShortYellowBus

Fauci has an employer with a well established pattern for dismissing the vociferous internal opposition. That’s not my opinion, it’s a fact. If you work for the president, don’t make waves.

My opinion is perhaps an unpopular one.

I believe that in February, Fauci isn’t a doctor, rather a scared man who’s employer is strongly suggesting what he needs to say to keep his job. All this being done to appeal to the president’s demographic.

Now that elected officials and White House staff are dying of the viral infection, perhaps the reigns are loosened on the hired doctor. Nonetheless, it’s a calculated risk misfired at our expense.

The future of this country and this pandemic does indeed lay on the hands of the current president.

The president will use this opportunity to give people federal aid to state unemployment benefits. That’s the carrot.

But hidden in this legislation will be increased military spending, funding for the border wall, huge tax breaks for the wealthy, no further state aid and absolutely no employee protection in case you go to work and die of Covid; you die and you can’t sue anyone. You die, it’s on you. Zero liability for the employers.

No matter what happens, the president wins.

The extremely wealthy have benefited from this economic shut down, and there’s clear evidence the government provided these billionaires insider trading information to them. Spoon fed them money.

If it was up to the president, he’d host a big barbecue in the middle of Arkansas and you can guess who’s going to be invited. There will be perhaps a hundred thousand people at that barbecue, and not wearing masks; that’s as a good as a win gets for the president.

There won’t be BLM anywhere near that barbecue.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
I grew up poor and brown yet some of these jokers talk about their rights being violated
Fauci has an employer with a well established pattern for dismissing the vociferous internal opposition. That’s not my opinion, it’s a fact. If you work for the president, don’t make waves.

I believe that in February, Fauci isn’t a doctor, rather a scared man who’s employer is strongly suggesting what he needs to say to keep his job. All this being done to appeal to the president’s demographic.

Now that elected officials and White House staff are dying of the viral infection, perhaps the reigns are loosened on the hired doctor. Nonetheless, it’s a calculated risk misfired at our expense.

The future of this country and this pandemic does indeed lay on the hands of the current president.

The president will use this opportunity to give people federal aid to state unemployment benefits. That’s the carrot.

But hidden in this legislation will be increased military spending, funding for the border wall, huge tax breaks for the wealthy, no further state aid and absolutely no employee protection in case you go to work and die of Covid; you die and you can’t sue anyone. You die, it’s on you. Zero liability for the employers.

No matter what happens, the president wins.

The extremely wealthy have benefited from this economic shut down, and there’s clear evidence the government provided these billionaires insider trading information to them. Spoon fed them money.

If it was up to the president, he’d host a big barbecue in the middle of Arkansas and you can guess who’s going to be invited. There will be perhaps a hundred thousand people at that barbecue, and not wearing masks; that’s as a good as a win gets for the president.

There won’t be BLM anywhere near that barbecue.
ALL TOO OBVIOUS

Last edited:

Chembry

Addicted to Softballfans

This is fact. I am friends with a guy who served under the Obama administration as a scientific advisor. He also served the Trump administration for until mid 2019. He kept very quiet. Every scientific advisor who mentioned they believe in global warming was removed from their duties. I have mentioned this previously. If your opinion differs with this administration, you will not have a job.

ShortYellowBus

This is fact. I am friends with a guy who served under the Obama administration as a scientific advisor. He also served the Trump administration for until mid 2019. He kept very quiet. Every scientific advisor who mentioned they believe in global warming was removed from their duties. I have mentioned this previously. If your opinion differs with this administration, you will not have a job.
And there lies the conflict of interest. When you say that you’re going to run the country like a business, you have to treat everybody like employees. These are not employees they are public servants who get paid by our tax dollars.

ShortYellowBus

Just one more.

With the economy doing 90 in a 70, the word volatile comes to mind. Indeed, the economy started to go down before the Covid shutdown started.

Continuing with the analogy, the shut down forced the country to slow down and start to take side streets.

This obviously made him very mad, so what he’s doing now is putting the country’s foot down on the gas and running all the red lights.

The law doesn’t apply to this man. He’s all jacked up on lupus medication. And if he hurts anyone on the way, he knows the police won’t stop him.

Theseaduck

The Veteran

I see your point and agree about it being 2nd nature but the comparison to seatbelts is mixing two totally different things...seatbelts are for Your own safety not of others like masks are..and for the record I may be a dips*** but dont tell me what to do with my own safety...second seatbelts dont cover your mouth and nose and restrict your breathing of free fresh air....
They are also confined to your own vehicle not every store or place if business
I dont think this is all a hoax or exaggeration and I am taking it serious I'm just not crazy paranoid

Just a bad comparison...

dunkky

that Fauci

he along with Trump are heavily responsible for many American's ignorance nowadays. "it's just a cold!!!"
That's after seeing the outbreak in Korea and Italy and how Korea has made good recovery by doing only two things.

I grew up poor and brown yet some of these jokers talk about their rights being viol
ALL TOO OBVIOUS

Exactly. same here. Spoiled big time. They don't even know what they have nor understand the true value of it. Born and raised in Korea half of my life, I have witnessed ups and downs of that country. There was a time when the S. korean govern't acted like kim jung un from the North believe it or not. Taking thousands of innocent lives and their liberty. Yeah, I can definitely talk about liberty and freedom, and call you out spoiled.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
And there lies the conflict of interest. When you say that you’re going to run the country like a business, you have to treat everybody like employees. These are not employees they are public servants who get paid by our tax dollars.
Yes, but a smart businessman listens to his employees that know more about certain topics than he does. An egomaniac that was propped up his whole life by his father, Will surround himself with yes men to feed his ego. We the people need to understand that.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I see your point and agree about it being 2nd nature but the comparison to seatbelts is mixing two totally different things...seatbelts are for Your own safety not of others like masks are..and for the record I may be a dips*** but dont tell me what to do with my own safety...second seatbelts dont cover your mouth and nose and restrict your breathing of free fresh air....
They are also confined to your own vehicle not every store or place if business
I dont think this is all a hoax or exaggeration and I am taking it serious I'm just not crazy paranoid

Just a bad comparison...
Seatbelts weren't made required because of your safety. Insurance companies lobbied politicians because they were tired of paying your claims when you were killed, or worse, maimed enough to rack up millions in bills. It's always about the money. You're kissing yourself if you think they care about your safety.

I don't disagree with you though on the analogy. From a your rights standpoint its a good comparison, but from a you're required to wear them in the store i think the shirts is a better one.

longball101

Part Time Player
I think the better analogy would be to abortion rights.....They are screaming -"its my body, my choice I don't want to be told to wear a mask" but yet it's not a woman's choice of "their body" when it comes to that choice??? Can't have it both ways, STFU and put on a mask when out in public , it may or may not help, but it definitely won't/can't hurt. Just played at Space Coast this past weekend, saw a mixed use of mask wearing, but a lot of social distancing

ShortYellowBus

On Wednesday, the country reported its highest number of deaths in a single day since mid-May, at nearly 1,500. The country has now seen its seven-day average of newly reported deaths remain above 1,000 for 17 consecutive days.

dunkky

I'll tell you this, I know of no freaking cold that kills this many people in the middle of summer. that pretty much sums up this ain't no COLD.

blakcherry329

Filled in for a team on Tuesday. Masks for the catcher, Ump and Batter. Meh, no biggie. Every other team I play on, masks are optional, even my over 40 league. Social Distancing isn't really enforced, but people just don't get too close out of habit, nowadays. I think softball will be ok because of our "new normal" way of thinking, even without masks.

arther itis

payin' to get paid
upload_2020-8-10_18-48-37-jpeg.64231