How are you guys playing during the covid era?

ShortYellowBus

My health is more important to me then yours, sorry. I bet you fell the same way. Look at all the health issues that arise from wearing a mask? Mind you my work requires me to wear a mask. After 10 hours of suffocating, I will not wear one on a diamond.
You’re just trolling.

Doctors and nurses wear masks for 12-14 hour shifts and nothing happens.

There’s no scientific or medical evidence that suggests that wearing a mask for a prolonged period of time can cause any breathing issues, and that CO2 retention myth is the only argument non-mask people have.

It’s not true, otherwise for liability purposes your employer wouldn’t let you wear it.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
We had a guy get coronavirus on my league team about a month ago. He missed 1 game and came back fine after that. No one else on the team got it.

Not a big deal. This disease isn't running like wildfire, like everyone seems to think. Softball has been going full bore here for over 2 months now and I haven't heard any stories of mass outbreaks or anything softball related shutting down.

Jerrshoe

We had a guy get coronavirus on my league team about a month ago. He missed 1 game and came back fine after that. No one else on the team got it.

Not a big deal. This disease isn't running like wildfire, like everyone seems to think. Softball has been going full bore here for over 2 months now and I haven't heard any stories of mass outbreaks or anything softball related shutting down.

Same here. Had a few get it. Better in a couple days. Most say the flu was worse.

Chembry

Addicted to Softballfans
You’re just trolling.

Doctors and nurses wear masks for 12-14 hour shifts and nothing happens.

There’s no scientific or medical evidence that suggests that wearing a mask for a prolonged period of time can cause any breathing issues, and that CO2 retention myth is the only argument non-mask people have.

It’s not true, otherwise for liability purposes your employer wouldn’t let you wear it.

He isn't trolling, unfortunately. There isn't any scientific or medical evidence that suggests mask wearing is a danger to the wearer. There is quite a bit of scientific evidence that proves for a normal healthy individual, wearing a mask isn't an issue. I have posted those studies, along with others more than once. What some people fail to understand is the virus has to be housed in a respiratory droplet or it won't survive. The mask only has to prevent respiratory droplets.

FYI- I am not sure people are aware of this study: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6928e2.htm
In this case, two hairstylists cut the hair of 139 people while infected with COVID-19. All parties wore masks and ZERO transmission of COVID-19 occurred.

Here is a systemic review of masks: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7191274/
Here is a direct quote from the article: "In summary, there is a growing body of evidence supporting all three indications for respiratory protection – community, healthcare workers and sick patients (source control). The largest number of randomised controlled trials have been done for community use of masks by well people in high-transmission settings such as household or college settings. There is benefit in the community if used early, with hand hygiene and if compliant."

My health is more important to me then yours, sorry. I bet you fell the same way. Look at all the health issues that arise from wearing a mask? Mind you my work requires me to wear a mask. After 10 hours of suffocating, I will not wear one on a diamond.

I really hope you have a different viewpoint when you have rely on others, because there will be a time when you will. In fact, you are already relying on others with your stance on vaccines.

Again, oxygen, as well as carbon dioxide, can freely flow in and out of the mask. A normal healthy individual can and will maintain their blood oxygen levels. This has been studied in surgeons wearing masks during long surgeries: http://scielo.isciii.es/pdf/neuro/v19n2/3.pdf

So unless you have a pre-existing lung condition, it doesn't affect you like you think. It's more psychosomatic than anything else.

I don't get that argument. How can oxygen, which is 200 times smaller than SARS-CoV-2, be inhibited by the mask but allow the virus to freely pass through? It doesn't and that argument makes no sense...my blood pressure gets several points higher when I hear that.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
So everyone league wide have been tested, thats why we know nobody else has/had it.. OK hmm

Would like to know if these folks Dr's told them they're fine after a couple days, one week and yes go on back too your normal routine. Smh

blakcherry329

Update:

First game tonight was to be against the team with the infected player.

My buddy from Thursday night team was subbing for me tonight. Guys on my Thursday team were not comfortable with us being around a team that had an infected player. The umpire also backed out, so it would have been an un-umpired game against the "infected" team. I pulled out, and our manager didn't think guys would come just for the 9p game, so we cancelled that too.

Lame, but at the end of the day, the risk wasn't worth the reward for low-level church ball
Wow, if you feel that way how are you even playing at all? People can be asymptomatic and have the virus. So, theoretically, you could be playing with/against infected players at all times.

I'm not judging, just wondering what your thought process is on this.

basilray

Wow, if you feel that way how are you even playing at all? People can be asymptomatic and have the virus. So, theoretically, you could be playing with/against infected players at all times.

I'm not judging, just wondering what your thought process is on this.

At 37, I'm generally about the oldest player on the roster for both my league nights. I'm not that worried about contracting it, but I am worried about quaratine, work, and childcare if I do contract.

I was willing to play if the consensus from the team was not to be concerned, until my Thursday team got worried about having two of us around people who had been around a single person who had light symptoms, and well after the fact tested positive. It seems kind of silly for a bunch of 20-somethings to worry about that, but not worry about how much guys drink during games before they drive home.

I'm personally not that concerned about contracting COVID from asymptomatics. The risk there does seem fairly low.

tonys1

Here is a direct quote from the article: "In summary, there is a growing body of evidence supporting all three indications for respiratory protection – community, healthcare workers and sick patients (source control). The largest number of randomised controlled trials have been done for community use of masks by well people in high-transmission settings such as household or college settings. There is benefit in the community if used early, with hand hygiene and if compliant.

What makes me feel so warm and fuzzy is that in less than 5 months, we went from the government ridiculing people who wore masks to raving about their life-saving abilities. Who knew that it would only take 5 months to learn so much about something as complex as... a mask.

I can’t wait for them to tell us the vaccine is ready and safe. What a time to be alive.

Chembry

Addicted to Softballfans
What makes me feel so warm and fuzzy is that in less than 5 months, we went from the government ridiculing people who wore masks to raving about their life-saving abilities. Who knew that it would only take 5 months to learn so much about something as complex as... a mask.

I can’t wait for them to tell us the vaccine is ready and safe. What a time to be alive.

Remember, you have to keep context in mind and why those original statements were made.

The vaccine is another conversation entirely and a very deep conversation. I could post about the potential vaccines and the data, but the post would encompass the entire page. The FDA is working alongside the companies developing vaccines and guiding them through the trials telling them what data they need to see to be approved. There are all using different strategies to elicit the immune response. It will be interesting to see which ones make it through, if any.

One thing is for certain, these will be the most scrutinized vaccines ever.

tonys1

Remember, you have to keep context in mind and why those original statements were made.

Remind me please. And I agree about the vaccine, maybe because we have more info (too much info) than we ever have and so many theories running around. I’m a good sheep and follow the rules but I can’t let that Fauci **** go

Chembry

Addicted to Softballfans
Remind me please. And I agree about the vaccine, maybe because we have more info (too much info) than we ever have and so many theories running around. I’m a good sheep and follow the rules but I can’t let that Fauci **** go

Ha! People either love Fauci or hate him.

When those original statements were made, there were several factors at play. First, those statements were made Mach 8th, when the virus was in its infancy here in the US and just starting to see the virus circulate. Second, PPE (masks, gloves, etc...) were in short supply and he was trying to prevent a shortage. Masks in particular were in short supply and the people that needed them the most (doctors, nurses, first responders) couldn't get them. Lastly, he was saying there could be unintended consequences of people who aren't used to wearing masks. People like to touch their face, fiddle with the mask, and not wear it properly. I still see people only covering their mouths... If you aren't used to wearing a mask, you could inadvertently infect yourself by rubbing your nose.

Remember he reversed that statement April 3rd, when more data was available and the pandemic was circulating much faster.

But all people hear is that we shouldn't wear masks no matter how bad the pandemic gets. Or I don't care about others, I only care about myself. Or our government is taking away our freedoms.

I will say this again and again...this virus isn't political, it is not racist, it doesn't know gender. Politics has no place in this scenario. Take politics out of the situation and look at the data for what it is, a public health situation. The only thing this virus is here on this earth to do is to replicate. And to do that it needs a host. Right now, humans are the host. There will come a time where humans won't be the host, but who knows how long that will take. The first coronavirus outbreak (SARS-CoV-1), the virus just disappeared from the human population after 1.5 years. It is still circulating around in animals and the general consensus is that it will comeback around at some point in the future.

r8dr_rider

That’s the point. Jenny McCarthy and Jim Carey are famous for their anti-vaccine views. Which is hilarious because neither one of them have the knowledge or education to speak out on vaccines.

Oh cool I didn’t know that. And yet they are not dead.

ShortYellowBus

Oh cool I didn’t know that. And yet they are not dead.
Jenny McCarthy is vaccinated and has since changed her stance on vaccinations. She is pro-vaccines.

The whole non-sense about vaccines helped her sell a lot books, that she authored that was about her being a mother to a child who was diagnosed with autism.

But her child isn’t autistic.

Lastly, she’s not a smart person to be giving out advice that is needlessly endangering a lot of people. Many blamed her for the deaths of their children and she’s absolutely retracted from her anti-vax publicity tour. She now says she never told anyone to not be anti-vax.

Regardless, the plague is back killing people because parents are not vaccinating their children.

r8dr_rider

Jenny McCarthy is vaccinated and has since changed her stance on vaccinations. She is pro-vaccines.

The whole non-sense about vaccines helped her sell a lot books, that she authored that was about her being a mother to a child who was diagnosed with autism.

Lastly, she’s not a smart person to be giving out advice that is needlessly endangering a lot of people. Many blamed her for the deaths of their children and she’s absolutely retracted from her anti-vax publicity tour. She now says she never told anyone to not be anti-vax.

Regardless, the plague is back killing people because parents are not vaccinating their children.

Cool. You probably believe in gun control too. And guns kill children.

This “plague” is not back. China created it

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cool. You probably believe in gun control too. And guns kill children.

This “plague” is not back. China created it
He's talking about the actual plague that was eradicated by vaccination along with measles and mumps and countless other things that are coming back because people watched a YouTube video and stopped getting vaccinations.

If we could only get q to do a YouTube video about excess deaths. I'd love to see all these anti maskers flip flop to the government is under reporting Rona deaths so fast they'd break a hip.

dunkky

all we need to know is one case study. period. NO confusion. just observe Korea and take advantage of it. I mean, they are providing free QC. They have been doing exceptionally well, with social distancing, wearing mask nationwide. then what happened??? A night club incident, a massive chuch demonstration gathering... No social distancing. no enforcement of wearing mask, etc. yeah.. corona is no weak-ass bum. it will infiltrate our security hole, simple as that.

Vaccine is great and better than nothing. but 1st ver of it is far from perfection. maybe maybe not. Just like anything else, it requires serious of QC and case study over the time... ver 2, ver 3, on and on... who knows..

dunkky

by the way, i would rather focus this on who is really responsible for the root of corona. is this **** really came from bat soup or is this man made? if so why?? who funded?? etc etc..

Chembry

Addicted to Softballfans

This is the reason that people without a chemistry/pharmacology/medical background shouldn't speak out against something they don't understand, i.e. vaccines.

I recently saw a tweet from Jim Carrey saying "Mercury in fish is dangerous but forcing all of our children to be injected with mercury in thimerosol is no risk. Make sense?"

They are very different. Mercury in fish is methyl mercury and the mercury in vaccines comes from thiomersal. Thiomersal is metabolized in your body to ethyl mercury. First off everyone is exposed to methyl mercury through various sources (mainly your diet). The half-life if methyl mercury is very long causing it to build up in your body. Methyl mercury is not water soluble and very tough for your body to excrete. That build up can cause some bad effects in the body. On the other hand ethyl mercury doesn't accumulate in your body. Ethyl mercury is water soluble and much easier for your body to excrete. The half life of ethyl mercury is much shorter and doesn't stick around long enough or accumulate to cause any bad effects. On top of that, the amount of thiomersal in vaccines is very small, too small to do any damage in your body. Lastly, thiomersal has been removed from vaccines for children.

So why is thiomersal used? Thiomersal is used as a preservative in multi-use vaccine vials to prevent microbial growth. It is there to protect you.

Another common ingredient that is attacked is formaldehyde. Guess what, your body produces a large amount of formaldehyde on a daily basis in metabolic processes. The amount used in vaccines is so small that your body doesn't know the difference. The amount in a vaccine is about 50-70 times lower than what is already circulating in a newborn baby. The amount of formaldehyde your body produces only increases with age and weight.

Last edited:

Chembry

Addicted to Softballfans
Dihydrogen monoxode can eat right through a steel pipe, imagine what it does to the human body.

That is absolutely hilarious! That alone just shows how dangerous fear mongering can be. For those that don't know dihydrogen monoxide is another name for water. And yes, water can be extremely destructive.

You will get a good laugh if you look at the SDS for water. FYI- if you get water in your eyes you are supposed to flush your eyes with water for 15 minutes. This is the kind of crap you get when lawyers get involved.