How do you like the DHH rule ?

scottydoesnt

Extra Hitter
Hate it in E, but it's ok for D and up. As long as teams have a few HRs to get from non-DHHs it's ok since the GSL ball is so easy to hit out.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are two main issues for it for me. One is what he said, that ball is a golf ball and way too easy to hit out. The second is that if your hitter Is hurt and you sub in for him you lose the hitter. The sub doesn't become the hitter. That rule is completely stupid. It's like telling me if I sub for my courtesy runner he can't run fast.

I think they'd be a great association with hot dots because basically everyone could swing away like we used to twenty years ago in D and up, and then e would be for the true rec and beginners. As it stands now you've got a bunch of guys trying to keep that ball in and one guy swinging out of his shoes almost as likely to hit middle hard with a rock.

Other problems I have with the format in general are you have to serve the dhh 99% of the time. If you walk him the team gets a free hr through the rest of the lineup and that's basically a given with that rock. It also tends to give teams what they need to let one guy sandbag on their team. You've got A C player dhhing on an e team. That's not good for e pitchers and third baseman.

RaiderKit

Addicted to Softballfans
Takes away the long ball for everyone except one hitter. Should be DHH and a one up rule. Hate the DHH rule.

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
Takes away the long ball for everyone except one hitter. Should be DHH and a one up rule. Hate the DHH rule.
Not sure how the DHH rule takes away from everyone when most sanction ball only allows limited home runs already ?

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Never played gsl above d except open and every level I've played it's the same hr rules plus the dhh. It's not like every level goes to zero.

sleepin4matty

Management Material
My problem with the DHH rule isn't really the DHH as much as it is the offensive ejection for anyone else hitting a HR...

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
My problem with the DHH rule isn't really the DHH as much as it is the offensive ejection for anyone else hitting a HR...
That's only in e, and I wouldn't have a problem with that if the ball wasn't such a freaking golf ball. If it's below seventy degrees it's actually hard to take a full swing and not hit it out. Ridiculous.

RaiderKit

Addicted to Softballfans
Not sure how the DHH rule takes away from everyone when most sanction ball only allows limited home runs already ?

This rule doesn't apply to us out here. There is so many different choices in SoCal to choose from with liberal HR rules. I guess I take it for granted.

RaiderKit

Addicted to Softballfans
On Any given weekend there's GSL usssa gaysa and 3 to 4 other tourney choices within 50 miles I would say. Lots of nightly leagues and BLD's. Lots of shave jobs. Although these bats these days are almost as good. I haven't played ASA in years

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would be surprised if a shaved anything but Easton lasted two hundred swings with these gsl balls.

Utrip hr rules are the same without the dhh though, right?

GrinningBear

World's deadliest house husband
I think the DHH rule is awesome. I hated when U-Trip got rid of it. Ohio directors were still allowing it until you get to qualifiers and then you had to play with national rules.

I love the walk rule. It brings a whole new...not exactly a level of strategy, but a new facet. I've seen the DHH be very picky about his pitches and walk, knowing he's another baserunner that can score when someone behind him hits it out. It's like adding a homerun to the limit or even getting one after they're gone.

When GSL first started, their major differences were that they allowed non-stamp utrip bats and had the DHH. The merger did away with the bats but GSL is growing fast. DHH has a lot to do with that.

Also (and it depends on region) they have quite a few good directors.

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
I think the DHH rule is awesome. I hated when U-Trip got rid of it. Ohio directors were still allowing it until you get to qualifiers and then you had to play with national rules.

I love the walk rule. It brings a whole new...not exactly a level of strategy, but a new facet. I've seen the DHH be very picky about his pitches and walk, knowing he's another baserunner that can score when someone behind him hits it out. It's like adding a homerun to the limit or even getting one after they're gone.

When GSL first started, their major differences were that they allowed non-stamp utrip bats and had the DHH. The merger did away with the bats but GSL is growing fast. DHH has a lot to do with that.

Also (and it depends on region) they have quite a few good directors.
I agree with you... especially since most every other association you play rule wise is essentially the same give or take a different ball compression . Glad to see someone doing it different

Overall I like it and think it adds to offensive strategy. When I first saw GSL the DHH was usually 3rd. Now they mostly bat leadoff. It's evolved over time. With the ball they use, every team has a player that can hit one out every AB, so it doesn't add as much to the game as it could.

That said it's a horrible rule for "E" level.

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
Overall I like it and think it adds to offensive strategy. When I first saw GSL the DHH was usually 3rd. Now they mostly bat leadoff. It's evolved over time. With the ball they use, every team has a player that can hit one out every AB, so it doesn't add as much to the game as it could.

That said it's a horrible rule for "E" level.
I don't think the ball is any hotter than some balls other associations use... we use a 40/325 gold dot around here though

I don't think it's a bad rule for e class bc everyone can hit a home run these days . Even though it happens , you shouldn't class teams by home run limits

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's what all gsl balls are basically. There are hot dots available but who would choose that if the other team is hitting those golf balls. It might be warm enough in TN for those balls to have some down time, but in our area throughout a whole season it's crazy.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't like it for the reasons you do. Gsl is growing, because of this ball and the dhh, which to me caters only to one type of player and style. It just reminds me of the Exodus to utrip in 2004-2005, and the way it accelerated douchebag ball. We don't need that again imo.

This is the most dangerous ball out there. That's a fact.

It's the hottest ball out there outside of the places that are above eighty degrees for most of the season. These two factors are a horrible combination.

Then you add in the dhh which handicaps the pitching and defense significantly compared to other associations. Of course hitters love it, but overall I think this combination is asinine.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
You have to have a rule like the walk rule. You can't have the dhh rule without something like it. I just hate it in reality with the umpires you normally see. They practically force you to put it on a tee anyway. As you said, now it's a free homerun if you don't.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I like GSL, but not necessarily every weekend. I'm generally the DHH and obviously I don't mind hacking away every AB. We also don't hit ridiculous balls for GSL here. Just the standard classic +. I don't see a ton of difference between GSL and USSSA. Only thing is you have 1 guy on the team swinging away trying to hit HRs every AB.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hit classic M's some down in GA, and they were good for one tourney in the spring when it was cool. Up here I have to assume is like CO and it's cool for most of the season and these things are crazy. I thought they're Worths, they can't be that good, but they're seriously hard to keep in the park with a decent bat. My first swing with a Sonic+ was a homerun and that's no freak black and I'm no homerun hitter.

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
I don't think the ball is any hotter than any 44/400 I hit in WSL and definitely don't think it's hotter than the ISA balls we hit down here in TN.

We have some early success running gsl and have plans for some big things in the area/region

Around here for years it's been primarily the same rules every tournament regardless of association . The only thing that's different is the ball

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
I like GSL, but not necessarily every weekend. I'm generally the DHH and obviously I don't mind hacking away every AB. We also don't hit ridiculous balls for GSL here. Just the standard classic +. I don't see a ton of difference between GSL and USSSA. Only thing is you have 1 guy on the team swinging away trying to hit HRs every AB.
Exactly as opposed to freedom and there ridiculous home run rules for each class

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I hit classic M's some down in GA, and they were good for one tourney in the spring when it was cool. Up here I have to assume is like CO and it's cool for most of the season and these things are crazy. I thought they're Worths, they can't be that good, but they're seriously hard to keep in the park with a decent bat. My first swing with a Sonic+ was a homerun and that's no freak black and I'm no homerun hitter.

CO uses almost entirely C+ balls for tournies these days. We used ZN classic Ms for USSSA last year and everyone finally admitted it was way too much ball. They were far too hard.

C+ balls are way more manageable. However, in CO they still fly too much. The altitude here really does make a difference.

I have hit gold dot extremes here before too though. WAAAYYY too much ball. I'd say they were even better than ZNs.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think the ball is any hotter than any 44/400 I hit in WSL and definitely don't think it's hotter than the ISA balls we hit down here in TN.

We have some early success running gsl and have plans for some big things in the area/region

Around here for years it's been primarily the same rules every tournament regardless of association . The only thing that's different is the ball
When it's below 60-65 degrees it's a way hotter ball. We hit those ISA balls in Valdosta because you could hit any 44/375 with a stamp, and I got the multi-cover ISA balls for us, and it's not even close. TN might be warm enough where you think those balls are close, or you're hitting the Syco covered WSL balls and the ProTac GSL balls. That's the only way I can see them being comparable. We hit those ISA balls even in winter leagues and they weren't like this. I'm also going to be 42 this year, so it's not like I'm getting stronger or more athletic up here either. LOL

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
When it's below 60-65 degrees it's a way hotter ball. We hit those ISA balls in Valdosta because you could hit any 44/375 with a stamp, and I got the multi-cover ISA balls for us, and it's not even close. TN might be warm enough where you think those balls are close, or you're hitting the Syco covered WSL balls and the ProTac GSL balls. That's the only way I can see them being comparable. We hit those ISA balls even in winter leagues and they weren't like this. I'm also going to be 42 this year, so it's not like I'm getting stronger or more athletic up here either. LOL

For what its worth, the ISA X Rocks with the multilayer cover are the hottest damn balls I've ever hit. They outfly HR derby balls and stadiums fairly easily. How they remain legal in any viable association I don't know. With a good bat I can hit them nearly 500'.

I've hit WSL Gold Dots many times, and they're only OK. They aren't super hard. ISA X Rocks are in a class of their own.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was hitting the tattoos towards the end. I didn't buy any x rocks. Sounds like I should have.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
With that ball you have to at least allow one though. Maybe one team homer and no dhh. Or get rid of the ball and I'm fine with it.