How do you like the DHH rule ?

Gladzilla

Extra Hitter
I agree. If you're going to play E you shouldn't get any HRs, period. You want HRs, move up.
lost one Game in a GSL tournament because the DHH brought in all but 4 of their runs. our goofy pitcher kept pitching to the DHH. they did have 2 offensively ejected.

while we are on the topic, next weekend I'm playing in an USSSA tournament that allows a DHH, with IEO and offensive ejection. Well... i Don't like this,im fine with offensive ejection and IEO but DHH in a USSSA tourney wow.

Last edited:

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
lost one Game in a GSL tournament because the DHH brought in all but 4 of their runs. our goofy pitcher kept pitching to the DHH. they did have 2 offensively ejected.

while we are on the topic, next weekend I'm playing in an USSSA tournament that allows a DHH, with IEO and offensive ejection. Well... i Don't like this,im fine with offensive ejection and IEO but DHH in a USSSA tourney wow.
You have to pitch to him though because it's a free homerun the rest of the way through the lineup if you don't. That's part of my bed with it. You have to put it in a tee if you have a bad ump and adhh switch a good eye.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can kind of see your point after playing state. One game our dhh outscored the other team by himself when their dhh struggled. I'm spilled because our dhh is so good.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I'm totally in favor of the DHH rule, just not for E. For all other classes I don't have a problem with it.

Country469

Agree with that. What the rule does is ensure someone who should be playing up doesn't. Take 6 of those DHHs and 6 other quality role players and boom you have a D maybe even C team. Move the **** up the ladder.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
You and I both know all six of those guys play the same position.

My biggest problem with gsl appearing to be the usssa developmental league is that that is basically the only difference. If it's going to be their little experiment give us some other changes to see if they work.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
People keep trying to tell us we'd do better in D because of the homeruns. We pledge ad team in league last night, and I know it's just league even if my team doesn't, but once we hit it two homeruns we barely scored the rest of the game. Homeruns aren't everything.

Country469

Oh for sure there, ANYONE can potentially hit a HR with a decent bat and those balls. And I truly mean anyone after watching some of church lig this spring already.

The jump from E to D here isn't so much about home runs but defense and pitching. Pitching being the biggest imo. And yeah I'd imagine most of the DHH are C/EH type guys, but really you can hide 3-4 of them really easily anymore. C/EH/1B for sure, and 2nd is starting to become a hide away spot in 5 man defenses.

GSL always seemed like a gimmick to me.

HR rules I'd propose in C35SA
E: 0 HRS, each one ends innings
D: 2 and 1 up
C: 4 and 1 up
B: ha ha b teams dont play whack ass associatons

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's the main problem with gsl. You have Mikens and golf balls, one guy gets to guy all he wants and everyone else is an ieo offensive ejection. That bat and ball combo is more than some of our guys that played small college baseball can handle more often than not. Move up and that's just that much more.

Like you said, gsl is all low level, and the lower you go the worse the contradictions get. We only played one game at States with no offensive ejections fit either team and is say the average was four per game. It's stupid.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Well, sounds like the whole gist of this conversation is that the bats and balls used in GSL (and all the other sanctions in general) are too hot. You have guys with piss poor swings who are able to put zero work in and still hit balls 350' regularly. 300' fields are completely obsolete. The game as we know it is done, replaced by basically a HR derby. Pitchers and infielders are often irrelevant (and in danger) since balls come off those bats so hard.

DHH in E is a farce. You basically allow someone who COULD be a C hitter to hide in E and smash balls any time he wants. The whole POINT of E is to provide a place for introductory teams/players to tournament ball. Instead you have some big fish hiding in small ponds and mashing balls out in E tournaments.

Country469

right. 100% right.

At what point do the players do something about it tho? or is it the trend is liked by most and hated by a few?

Country469

Well, yeah but thats taking the easy route. E has been perverted too far at this point to just say that and try to revert back to its original intent.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I just get irritated that it now takes more skill to keep the ball IN the park rather than hitting the ball OUT of the park. An upper level softball tournament is now a bunch of guys taking judy swings in an attempt to not hit the ball out. Having legit power as a player anymore almost makes you a liability since everyone else on the team can go yard now too. Watching guys go 350' on handle shots these days is boring and disheartening. At what point do SKILLED players simply say no more? Softball has become a game for those with zero athletic talent, with super hot bats and rock hard balls.

Joker

it's basically shifting most of the teams up. you'll be playing against most of the same teams, but instead of playing a couple of weaker teams you'll be playing a couple of stronger teams. you'll also get to hit HRs. tournaments would still be filled, TDs are gonna get their money. you'll probably even get more teams that are true E teams to play. teams that stopped playing tournaments because they were sick of going 0-2 losing by a combined 56-4 to borderline C teams.

Country469

maybe, but thats in an area where one assoc is dominant. Here I got 5 choices about every weekend within a 2 hour drive. When one assoc bumps, they stop playing it and go to another that lets them bag again.

Joker

around here it's USSSA and NSA on the weekends. used to have a 3rd that was a mix of USSSA/ASA, it had a much lower level of talent that was pretty much league teams out to play tournaments. wasn't run the best but it was full every weekend. dude who ran that now runs USSSA and those tourneys are all gone. i think terry got banned from those cause he was too good

Country469

whats a big bracket look like there? Here if they get 10-12 teams on a weekend in E they are doing pretty well

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think we have 18 in every this weekend, but it's a restricted to one day because of mother's day and the majority of the Cincy teams are playing somewhere else.