How many players do you take to a tourney?

zachd

The Veteran
I don't play tourneys that much (USSSA) but my league night teammates are starting to play most weekends. Now, I don't really know what their goal is - have fun, win every game, not go three and out - but I try and tell them if they want to win and last further in the tourney they need to take at least 12 guys.

But they don't want to deal with who will sit out. And they say "no one wants to sit out". So they will just go in with 10.

Varies with players but from my point of view most dudes drop off pretty hard after 2.5 games when it's 100+ . Of course they won't admit it even though they look dead tired and flat footed in the field and they start popping up every other at bat. If there were 12 some guys could rest here and there and it would give a better chance of winning more games in the long run.

Obviously there are pros and cons like if people pay $20-$30 they may not want to sit out and it's a pain in the ass for a coach to have to decided because so many dudes will get their ego hurt if they have to sit out.

Any thoughts, I am curious how many you roll with and how you decide who plays when and who sits.. etc.

phxraida15

Addicted to Softballfans
If you want to bat 10 and everybody wants to take the field then don't cry if you get tired...

We play E usssa out here in AZ. The team I play for always tries to bat 12... With the OE you want as many batters as possible...

Most teams I've seen, either ASA or u-trip, are taking anywhere from 12-20. I've never seen a team show up at a tourney with 10 guys, especially when you can bat 11 or 12. Only taking 10 dumb, in my opinion.

MayhemDE32

Extra Hitter
I try to take 12, If I have 11 or 12 I bat everyone...If I have more then I figure it out. As you said, when we are paying out of pocket, everyone has to play cause they payed. When we are using sponsor money, I put the best team out and work other guys in when I can.

sjury

The Old Man
If you're in E and worried about DBO and OE, you're probably in the wrong class.

12 to 14 with at least two pitchers. Let the pitchers know they won't be playing every game, and bring at least one guy as a sub, subs don't pay, and he goes in when you feel like it, otherwise he just needs to keep the book, base coach, and get beer.

TonyB

Addicted to Softballfans
Just for fun: 11-12, and everybody bats and switches out in the field
Competitive: 12+, but only bat 10 unless your EH and catcher both have higher OBP than the remaining team average

Superstar555

Addicted to Softballfans
12 to 14 with at least two pitchers. Let the pitchers know they won't be playing every game

AMEN!

I'm pretty much done for the rest of the day after three if the games are back-to-back in 100 degree heat. There is a lot of constant motion in pitching that guys who aren't pitching don't appreciate...it's not just the pitching itself, it's the running all over the infield backing up other players on every.single.play. That stuff adds up.

Lumpy82

Addicted to Softballfans
If you want to bat 10 and everybody wants to take the field then don't cry if you get tired...

We play E usssa out here in AZ. The team I play for always tries to bat 12... With the OE you want as many batters as possible...

When you average 3 OE's a game have you guys ever thought about batting 15?:biggthumpup:

The team I play with I think usually has 13-14 people show for tourneys, but we are sponsored so no one is paying out of pocket. We always bat 11 until we lose then we drop to 10 in the line up.

zachd

The Veteran
I don't think I've seen an offensive ejection, how does this happen?

So how do ya'll manage who sits and plays? Are you a regular team and some people know they will be sitting? Or everyone knows they will sit about equal time and that's cool?

I guess a problem with us is that it's not always the same guys, so you get some guy who is a good player to play then he probably isn't going to want to sit any.

I guess logic might say whoever plays ****ty-iest has to sit some but of course no one ever has a bad day or plays bad, ever.

yrdmst

Addicted to Softballfans
Bring 12 players plus a sub who doesn't pay and might not play at all. Down here in FL playing tourneys in the summer there is always someone who doesn't mind sitting for a bit though.

TonyB

Addicted to Softballfans
I don't think I've seen an offensive ejection, how does this happen?
Their place in the batting order is an out for the rest of the game. It's the penalty for hitting a fair ball over the fence in USSSA E.

Chrisklol

301' Bombs
We manage who plays based on skill. I usually catch because honestly, we have better fielders than I am and I know it. So i catch or EH.
We are all adults, we know who belongs at a certain position, and honestly our EH's know, they are there to hit and drink beer.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
What are the rules for subbing in a player after the game has started and batting order been submitted?

I was planning to run 12-13 with the 2-3 extra being OF's but it would nice to bring extra pitcher or others without batting > 13.

phxraida15

Addicted to Softballfans
If you're in E and worried about DBO and OE, you're probably in the wrong class.

12 to 14 with at least two pitchers. Let the pitchers know they won't be playing every game, and bring at least one guy as a sub, subs don't pay, and he goes in when you feel like it, otherwise he just needs to keep the book, base coach, and get beer.

If only that was true for everyone....

louconn

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
we try to have 12-14 guys also. usually bat 12 and have 2 subs. everyone knows their role. our ladies keep book cause we got some down ass bitches supportin they mans an them

Morze21

Addicted to Softballfans
After playing 20 years in tournaments of all quality and type, I'd chime in that 12 with 10 playing any one game with 2 pitchers on the team is the sweet spot. A good rotation is to start your best 10 in the first game, have your 9&10 sit game 2 , and come back with your best 10 in game 3. From there, it depends on if you are facing elimination and how your best 8 are fairing after 3.

Even playing in Cathedral City in August, I didn't like having 13 or more. The best results I had while playing for teams from Simi Valley, T.O. or Pasadena, always seemed to come with 12 guys playing (or 6 and 6 coed).

rmeman

Addicted to Softballfans
I have always tried to carry 12-13 with the subs knowing that they may not play. And batting 11. I always have someone else that can pitch if needed and I am the last resort. But I can pitch.

Hunter4ever89

The Wiley Veteran
10-11 usually. Never ran into any problems. Only ever have to sit one guy and can usually rotate to keep everyone happy and win games

AWall13

Addicted to Softballfans
It's all about your hitters. If you got guys that can hit then batting 12 won't hurt and give you some time to rest people. In a perfect world I would want my starting 10, an extra outfielder, and extra infielder, with another capable pitcher. I'd hit all 12 and rotate my 11&12 through so every 4-5 innings you get a break. Method only works with right pieces. Last team I played with consistently was very strong defensively, but didn't hit (lost alot of games 8-4 and stupid **** like that). Picked up me and another guy just to hit and put us 4 and 8 in lineup and doubled run output, but we understood we were there just to hit.

Most teams try to carry too many guys and hard to keep your bottom few happy giving up every weekend for 2 at bats and 3 innings at catcher over the course of a 12 hour saturday

scrub

Addicted to Softballfans
Usually just myself but sometimes 1 or 2 others if they want to carpool or have car troubles

txbullets

The OG JayZ

I agree. I was the only pitcher on our team for 3 years and would often pitch 5-7 games in a day. Pitching utrip and I have a very low release so by game 3 or 4 my batting suffers considerably because my legs are gasses. Last year we got another good pitcher and a much better stick. Everyone on the team thought I was crazy to be happy that he was joining the team because they thought I would lose my spot. I know a team needs 2 good pitchers.

hacker72

Addicted to Softballfans

I agree with this for the most part but the pitchers (3) on the teams I usually play on are probably in the top 5 of power and average for the team. Im pretty fortunate to play with a bunch or versatile players where we can mix up the "D" and the pitchers at any time and still be productive!!

We usually run 12 ...Championship games, top 10 guys play, period!!

scottdburnett

Addicted to Softballfans
This is a good thread for me as I am running a tournament team for the first time.
Unfortunately it is ASA, so I can only bat 11 max.
I'm going with 12 and somebody will jet have to sit out. They'll play when legs get tired....

kjlee85

I usually take 12 because we are all friends and out to have fun and don't care to bench anyone. I try to carry an extra pitcher and one UTL guy that can play OF and INF decently even if its only 2B/RF/1B.