Any How much of the plate does the ball have to cross??

pompetti

Softball Player
Wouldn't a pitch that crosses the front corner of the plate and then lands next to the plate without crossing the back corner be outside the strike zone?
By that I mean at the point it crossed that corner it was under the front knee. Its hard to imagine a 6-10' arc pitch that lands 6inches past the front corner being high enough to be above the front knee.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Wouldn't a pitch that crosses the front corner of the plate and then lands next to the plate without crossing the back corner be outside the strike zone?
By that I mean at the point it crossed that corner it was under the front knee. Its hard to imagine a 6-10' arc pitch that lands 6inches past the front corner being high enough to be above the front knee.

Is it unlikely? Maybe. Impossible? No.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Its tough to throw a curve to this guy because he wont give the front portion of the outside corner. Very frustrating.

Frustrating for the umpire who doesn't want to "guess" that one, but it is difficult to see.

If I see it, I call it and I've got a couple guys in the area that can hit that corner consistently.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
this is why I love the mat as a pitcher, either it hit or it didnt, lets play ball

So you can throw "strikes" that never really went through the actual strike zone?

Or in some cases throw "balls" that actually went through the rule book definition of the strike zone :rolleyes:

Around here (and in most places) count dictates the strike zone unfortunately :rolleyes: 3-1 count is at least twice the size of the "called" zone of a 1-2 count.

Country35

Banned User
bro its 10 mph pitch with a 12 inch ball........... if you are halfway decent the mat is an easy adjustment. Grown as men crying for 10 mins a night over balls and strikes has wasted enough of my life already.

Illegal pitcher

The Veteran
So you can throw "strikes" that never really went through the actual strike zone?

Or in some cases throw "balls" that actually went through the rule book definition of the strike zone :rolleyes:

Since the mat (and plate) IS the strike zone according to the rule book, neither of those are possible.

baldgriff

Lead Oompah Loompah....
Not sure about your mat ball, but the mat ball I have played up here in MN/WI the plate is not a strike and the mat is only about 18 inches deep.

Plus according to the rule book any ball that hits the plate is NEVER called a strike.

Illegal pitcher

The Veteran
Not sure about your mat ball, but the mat ball I have played up here in MN/WI the plate is not a strike and the mat is only about 18 inches deep.

Plus according to the rule book any ball that hits the plate is NEVER called a strike.

The plate is a strike in seniors slow-pitch. I'm not a senior, but the plate is a strike in one of my leagues. In my other league it is not.

When the mat is mentioned in the 2008 ASA rule book, it says the plate is a strike. Has the rule changed since then?

STRIKE ZONE: That space over any part of home plate, when a batter assumes a
natural batting stance adjacent to home plate, between the batter’s,
A. (Fast Pitch) Arm pits and the top of the knees.
B. (Slow Pitch) Back shoulder and the front knee.
C. (Seniors Slow Pitch): A rectangle 17” x 34” which includes the plate
and the plate extension (mat).
Any legally pitch ball not struck at that
lands on any part of the plate or mat will be ruled a strike. The shoulder
to the knee strike zone has been eliminated.

baldgriff

Lead Oompah Loompah....
So for seniors its a strike..... I guess that would make it a "qualifier" of the real rule. So the real book says that its not a strike, unless we change it for the Seniors. Have fun hitting cookies.