HR Prevention Ideas?

tzinc

Addicted to Softballfans
Okay they built a condo by the ball park and we are not supposed to hit HRs and hit the condo for a couple weeks til fences go up. We play self pitch with Hot Dots and we don't really want to use mush balls.

Any thoughts on how to prevent HRs we were thinking either
1) a wooden softball bat
2) a wooden baseball bat (someone said they could break easily so dangerous)
3) a cheap 20 dollar aluminum bat from Wal Mart

any thoughts on these options or any other ideas

thanks

THESHOE

Starting Player
1 & 2 will more or less be the same.

3 will have a wee bit more pop but not by much. Certainly not composite bat pop. Nowadays 3 might be cheaper to get than 1/2. (Wood bats ain't so cheap these days I noticed).

Can't really get softer than a 52cor Hot Dot without going into the practice or dome balls like Juggs Softie (which would be bs - i'd quit the league if I payed to hit that outside lol)

Last edited:

tzinc

Addicted to Softballfans
the condos and condo dwellers run everything in this fcking city it's a disgrace - mucho payoffs no doubt

we have been hitting the sht out of the condo for the past month

a guy on my team drove it half way up if it wasn't there it would still be going

KABOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!

Matth

If you have thrifts stores around try there. I’ve seen old bats on sale for as little as $2.50. I’ve also used a wood baseball bat in games against teams who were not good. Certainly lessens distance. I do not see how a wood baseball would break with a softball. However if anyone has any experience with this, I’d like to hear about it.

ShortYellowBus

Put up a big sign like they do in parking lots.

DANGER: Batted balls may cause serious damage to windows and people. Dwell at your own risk!

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Put up a big sign like they do in parking lots.

DANGER: Batted balls may cause serious damage to windows and people. Dwell at your own risk!

This. Those dopes had to know what they were getting into when they built condos beside a softball field.

clementeunknown

Addicted to Softballfans
If you've never taken a level swing and mis-hit a homerun with a composite, you aren't swinging very hard.

Well, that is what bat control is all about, not swinging so hard but still getting hits. I mean you shouldn't swing out of your shoes every time. OP makes it seem like everyone is swinging for the fences every single AB unless the fence is like 260.

tzinc

Addicted to Softballfans
Each team has a few guys that with a normal swing can hit it out they're that good.

They threatened to shut down our leagues but now it looks like they are going to build see through fencing.

We told them we'd switch to wood baseball bats until the fence is built so we can keep playing there

Apparently the condo had a choice to put the balconies facing the street but they didn't want to disturb the neighborhood so put it facing the park lol. Around a 100 people live there meanwhile upwards of 1000 people play on that field every day of the week for 5 months of the year.

I don't know what the F is wrong with people it took 2 plus years to build this we were saying this would happen.

Last edited:

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Each team has a few guys that with a normal swing can hit it out they're that good.

They threatened to shut down our leagues but now it looks like they are going to build see through fencing.

We told them we'd switch to wood baseball bats until the fence is built so we can keep playing there

Apparently the condo had a choice to put the balconies facing the street but they didn't want to disturb the neighborhood so put it facing the park lol. Around a 100 people live there meanwhile upwards of 1000 people play on that field every day of the week for 5 months of the year

Condo developers were obviously ass clowns. You can't build next to a field and then threaten to shut the field down when balls hit the stupid ass condos you build in the stupidest place possible.

lakeyale13

Manager

Apparently the condo had a choice to put the balconies facing the street but they didn't want to disturb the neighborhood so put it facing the park lol. Around a 100 people live there meanwhile upwards of 1000 people play on that field every day of the week for 5 months of the year

Glad to hear. I was gonna ask why the condo wouldnt pay for some netting above your current fence.

r8dr_rider

Sounds like when a local gun range was shut down cuz the new condo owners complained of noise. F them in the butt. They built the condos near a range and renters new of said range before buying. Typical....I won’t be surprised if that field gets shut down soon

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Any thoughts on how to prevent HRs we were thinking either
1) a wooden softball bat
2) a wooden baseball bat (someone said they could break easily so dangerous)
3) a cheap 20 dollar aluminum bat from Wal Mart

We told them we'd switch to wood baseball bats until the fence is built so we can keep playing there.

Probably your best option, guys can still take their normal swings without accidentally getting under a ball and launching it.
As far as wood baseball bats vs wood softball bats, there's no inherent difference in durability. The only thing that would make a baseball bat less durable is if you went with an extreme turning model; ie. big barrel, sharp taper, skinny handle.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member

Apparently the condo had a choice to put the balconies facing the street but they didn't want to disturb the neighborhood so put it facing the park lol. Around a 100 people live there meanwhile upwards of 1000 people play on that field every day of the week for 5 months of the year.

I don't know what the F is wrong with people it took 2 plus years to build this we were saying this would happen.
They should just put up a net. Play with Easton hammers until they're ready. Wood is going to cost more in the long run with breaking.

blakcherry329

How about Aluminum bats and Clinchers and Inning ending outs for all HRs? I'm pretty sure players would be able to control their bats with those rules. I guess it just isn't as much fun if you can't hit a ball 300' every AB. SMH

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
How about Aluminum bats and Clinchers and Inning ending outs for all HRs? I'm pretty sure players would be able to control their bats with those rules. I guess it just isn't as much fun if you can't hit a ball 300' every AB. SMH

Yawn. I'd go find another park to play at. Eliminating HRs from the game is not the answer. Dumb the bats and balls down, but keep the HRs.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I would just say **** it. Nobody forced them to build a condo next to a ballpark. A couple dings here and there will persuade them to build a net quick

This. Let the damn building get hit a few times. You see it all the time with golf courses. They build houses and condos right off the fairways. Then the owners get upset when balls hit the buildings. Screw 'em. No one made these people build right next to a softball field.

tzinc

Addicted to Softballfans
The City sides with Condo developers Condo owners now it's become a "safety issue" we told them for 2 plus years this was going to happen they just ignored it. Now all this comes down. They are very few parks downtown. They say they will put up a net but we can't play until the net goes in and they say that will take 3 months so that's the season ffs

blakcherry329

Yawn. I'd go find another park to play at. Eliminating HRs from the game is not the answer. Dumb the bats and balls down, but keep the HRs.
I'm yawning, also, to the fact that if you can't hit HRs it's not softball. If they are in danger of getting shut down(who will the town side with? a league paying a thousand bux to play or Developers?), something has to be done to keep HRs at a minimum. Would it really be that turrible, in my best Charles Barkley voice, to play in a league where you had to work on going oppo or keeping the ball down?
Ok, keep the HR, but the bats and/or balls have to be changed to keep the HRs down to a manageable level.