Im convinced...

Gishdream

Addicted to Softballfans
Bats after a while sill start to degrade in performance. Performance drasticly improves for the first 400 hits or so. Next 600 hits are amazing! And after that they lose the pop they once had and eventually turn into crap. I know most people will say bats only get hotter till they die but after having several bats from birth to death never has a bat just gotten better with time till the day she dies.

Thoughts?

Lord7

Banned User
My main thought is I don't think people should be sending each other NIW/NEW products for secret santa unless they bought them here from SBF. Show some damn support to the company that makes this all possible.

ccsoftball7

Addicted to Softballfans
I think with metal this may have been the case, but from what I've seen with the composites they get better until they die. I have broken 2 SCN3's. About the last 50 or so swings, the bat was UNBELIEVABLE compared to all the swings before. The "love" factor may be gone and that may have as much to do with it as anything.

MaMaLuLu

Addicted to Softballfans
sometimes I guess they die without a visible crack showing, but most of the time they get hotter and hotter until they're either cracked or snapped in 2 pieces.

mjs

Dodging bullets
Bats after a while sill start to degrade in performance. Performance drasticly improves for the first 400 hits or so. Next 600 hits are amazing! And after that they lose the pop they once had and eventually turn into crap. I know most people will say bats only get hotter till they die but after having several bats from birth to death never has a bat just gotten better with time till the day she dies.

Thoughts?

you must suck then

RalphG427

On the bench
Some crack on the inside and it takes time for the crack to show on the outside of the bat, in these cases the performance will diminish before you see the crack.

Others crack on the outside first and everytime this has been the case the bat was as hot as it ever was up until that point.

oilslick58

Addicted to Softballfans

Thoughts?

My Albins have progressed till death. Also My Cartel continued to impress till the last---albeit premature---bomb.

RLH4L

Extra Hitter
I agree with this as far as some of the new stamp bats. But most of my older bats are the hottest right before they break.

Captain10

E skills playing D Ball
I wondered the same thing until I cracked my first bat. The final 30-40 game swings (out of a total of probably 1500-1700) were absolutely SPECIAL!

thejuggster

Dying of WTP Disease
There is a kid here at work that swears his Demarini One has gone dead. It has absolutely no sign of wear, cracks, webbing or anything. I keep telling him "then sell it to me DIRT CHEAP".

hacker72

Addicted to Softballfans

Thoughts?

How the hell do you get that many swings out of a bat nowadays.

TonyB

Addicted to Softballfans
I guess I don't swing hard enough. I've got about 1500 each on a BJ Fulk bought last Christmas and a CL22 Stadium I bought 3-4 months ago. :(

louconn

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
every bat i've owned has gotten better with age. and like mentioned, the farthest shots i've ever hit have been from bats right before they crack or once a crack has started to develop

Cliff

Addicted to Softballfans
I thought my SCN20BW had cracked on the inside after 1100 swings the sound changed and the ball would not carry off the bat. I even called easton to get the return number. So i tried to finish it off by BP-ing it to death. After about 200 more swings the crack sound, and the distance was back... and it is incredible now at 1900 swings.

i cant explain what happened from 1100 swings to 1300 but it is def better now than ever before.

mattun

Internet Tough Guy
My experience has been more the degrading performance is the exception. Hell, PSTs almost always go nuts right before they crack. I even had an SSEST go ballastic right before it triangled, so it's not even limited to composites. Whatever allows for greater flex + recoil makes the ball go far.

Pete D

Addicted to Softballfans
I think the OP is correct.....some bats do indeed tend to flatten out before an outside crack shows up......

I'm a bat breaker, I tend to square up the ball and swing hard and I usually play a ot of games and double that up with BP. I have broken up to 18 bats a year but ususally average 11-15.....because of this I tend to keep 3 or 4 bats of the type I'm currently using in various stages of being game ready/broken in because I have had 3 and 4 bat tournaments.....

I have had some of the gamer bats flatten out after getting hot without any cracks or saw tooth patterns.....I'll take out the #2 or #3 bat and the ball flies like normal again. I think some bats outlive their hot stage but decline without any outward signs or rattles.....I've noticed this with some Combats & some of the Reeboks - it's a trade off between longevity and results.....

I'm not one to constantly chase the newest hottest bat. Once I find a bat that gives me the pop I want at a balance/weight that is comfortable I stick with it.

I think a lot of guys mess up their swings trying to force/make the next incarnation of next hottest bat work for them.....find a bat that give you the results you need for your swing and work with it.....

Because I swing hard a few guys wanted me to swing their bats to help break in...might have helped them (before game time) but when the time came to swing my preferred bat it usually cost me an out so I quit doing it.....

Last edited:

Hacksaw34

Addicted to Softballfans
Some crack on the inside and it takes time for the crack to show on the outside of the bat, in these cases the performance will diminish before you see the crack.

Others crack on the outside first and everytime this has been the case the bat was as hot as it ever was up until that point.

I have had this happen with a couple of bats, but the sound changed drastically like I was hitting a pillow. It was obvious that something was wrong

tserich

Addicted to Softballfans
I agree... I think it depends on the bat. I've swung some bats that were near the verge of death and they were super hot but I've also swung some bats that just felt like it lost all its "pop" It's a really strange feeling that makes you sad inside