Insane Vs. DNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOLTMAN21

Manager
Is this true for "M" owners? I'm considering picking up a DNA, but not sure if I should go 26oz or 27oz. I currently game a 27oz Aftermath, even though I've always preferred endloaded bats. The AM is more of a midload in my opinion. Are the "M"s scaling true, or heavy? Do I get a 26oz stiff (midload) and hope it scales heavy? Or go with a 27oz stiff EL and hope it scales true?

Get a 26 mid. It will most likely scale 26.5-26.8. It will swing a bit heavier to most people. "Mid load" but swings almost like an end load. If you like EL I would go that route.

The 27 EL will most likely scale and swing heavy. B-rad got a weird one that scales light. lol.

Last edited:

BOLTMAN21

Manager
I have 26oz flex scaled 26.9 no grip have not scaled since I added a lizard skin... Definitely feels nothing like anything else I have (Demarini) feels el to me and heavy, has approx 150 hits and am thinking about offing it I can go back to my juggy or am after using it and get better results.. I was told to try 27oz balanced but idk it just doesn't make sense to go up an oz when 26 feels heavy already.
Opinions on 27 oz balance vs 26 oz (mid)?

My buddy's 27 balanced feels lighter than my 26 mid when dry swinging it. I believe they just counter weight a 26 mid to balance out the weight distribution (making it a 27) and his 27 most likely scales heavier then my 26.5 oz mid though. Hope that helps.

I use my '14 Juggy with 44 COR and DNA for 52 COR. They both scale the same, DNA feels a bit heavier though. Takes time to get used to but once you adjust, it loves 52's..

Last edited:

2Legit2Melee

Star Player
I own a 26 stiff handle and with a 1.1 lizard skin on it, scaled at 27.2. My buddy is a monsta distributor and he's said the 27's dressed will weigh somewhere in the 27.4-6 range all depending if you use tape or a thick grip with a knob cuff. Worse comes to worse you buy a the bat and you don't like the weight you can send it back to get reweighted for 30 bucks or something. Pretty good option in my opinion.

M

MJL 00

Anyone hit the black and silver Insanes next to each other??? My black Insane the barrel sounds more crisp then the Silver one. Odd...

vlcmstnaz

volcom stone az
I hands down prefer the flex. I hit it quite a bit further than the stiff handled 26oz I had. I'll bring them both with me to work tomorrow and scale them again for ya. As soon as I swing the 27 EL and make sure i hits just as good (for me) than the 26oz does, I'm going to move the 26, as I've always preferred an EL......

Brad, where's the update? My bday is Friday and I might decide to buy myself something (depends on how much my wife spends on back-to-school shopping; I now have 3 kids in school).

bruiser

Co-ed Rec league bat boy
It's amazing how much that school shopping costs isn't it. I've got 3 daughters and am dreading the day the wife starts their back to school shopping

B-radical

Addicted to Softballfans
Brad, where's the update? My bday is Friday and I might decide to buy myself something (depends on how much my wife spends on back-to-school shopping; I now have 3 kids in school).

Crap, I totally forgot to bring them in that day. I'll tie a string around my finger for tomorrow :D

Ronnie G

Star Player
I have a 26 Monsta 2015 stiff handle I got in a trade since I'm going to be starting up playing ASA in a month or so, is the $99 warranty worth it? Could anyone point me in the direction of some advice on break in, best balls to use, specs, etc...? Thanks for any input.

vlcmstnaz

volcom stone az
scu_duner let me borrow his 26oz DNA. Took some BP side by side with my 27oz Juggy and AM. To ME, it felt very similar to the AM in terms of weighting (scale and balance). If you swing 27oz Demarini, 26oz DNA is the way to go.

The DNA is the least forgiving of the 3. Sweet spot is not very big.

Performance-wise, the DNA is very similar to the AM. Best hits with the DNA may have been a few feet deeper than the best hits with the AM. That said, because the AM is more forgiving, I'd swing the AM over the DNA.

In my opinion, the Juggy is still the king. I did a bucket hitting 10 with the DNA, 10 with the Juggy, 10 DNA, 10 Juggy. It was a good bucket and I hit a handful out with each. But the longest balls with the DNA were nothing compared to the longest shots with the Juggy. And, every ball off the Juggy was smoked. The DNA was more hit and miss. If I didn't hit it on the screws with the DNA, there was a huge decrease in output.

The Juggy has been my gamer for a while, it just fits my swing. But, I wouldn't say the DNA didn't fit my swing either. I feel I gave the DNA a fair shake. Probably put 50-60 hits on it. In my opinion: Juggy>AM>DNA, with the AM edging out the DNA because of the small SS on the DNA.

(Thanks again SCU! I'll get it back to you before softball Tuesday)

vlcmstnaz

volcom stone az
^^^figured this was the best place to post my review. No comparison to the Insane, but still, a (mostly) unbiased review of the DNA, comparing it to Demarini sticks.

moty0901

Starting Player
scu_duner let me borrow his 26oz DNA. Took some BP side by side with my 27oz Juggy and AM. To ME, it felt very similar to the AM in terms of weighting (scale and balance). If you swing 27oz Demarini, 26oz DNA is the way to go.

The DNA is the least forgiving of the 3. Sweet spot is not very big.

Performance-wise, the DNA is very similar to the AM. Best hits with the DNA may have been a few feet deeper than the best hits with the AM. That said, because the AM is more forgiving, I'd swing the AM over the DNA.

In my opinion, the Juggy is still the king. I did a bucket hitting 10 with the DNA, 10 with the Juggy, 10 DNA, 10 Juggy. It was a good bucket and I hit a handful out with each. But the longest balls with the DNA were nothing compared to the longest shots with the Juggy. And, every ball off the Juggy was smoked. The DNA was more hit and miss. If I didn't hit it on the screws with the DNA, there was a huge decrease in output.

The Juggy has been my gamer for a while, it just fits my swing. But, I wouldn't say the DNA didn't fit my swing either. I feel I gave the DNA a fair shake. Probably put 50-60 hits on it. In my opinion: Juggy>AM>DNA, with the AM edging out the DNA because of the small SS on the DNA.

(Thanks again SCU! I'll get it back to you before softball Tuesday)

How many cuts does each bat have? A juggy or AM with 1000 cuts is obviously going to be hotter than a DNA with a hundred cuts.

bruiser

Co-ed Rec league bat boy
Not sure about him but my brother in law is the 3rd owner if his DNA and my blackout Insane was NIW. I take the Insane all day

vlcmstnaz

volcom stone az
scu duner says the DNA has at least 1000 hits on it. He's the 2nd owner (og owner is a local SBF bro). My Juggy has to be near 2000 hits. I'm worried it won't pass compression this time around (that's why I'm looking into another option). I'm the 2nd owner of the AM. I'd guess 1000+ on it.

Again, the DNA is a top bat, no question. But, the SS is small and if you miss it YOU KNOW (and so will the defense). But, the Juggy is hotter and more forgiving.

Edit: Juggy was hot out of the wrapper. I really don't think it's much hotter now than when NOW.

the kid

Addicted to Softballfans
Like every other comparison thread, this is really just about swing what you're comfortable with. I've never hit an insane, but the 14AM was my favorite new stamp ASA bat overall until I swung the DNA. Obviously, if you hit anything outside of 52's then get an insane. But, for me the DNA is the cat's meow against 52s. Albeit, you need to bp the thing and get used to the feel and sweetspot.

I still have a 14AM alongside my DNAs but I only swing it when hitting 44s. For what its worth, I owned a bunch of J3s back in the day and prefer the 14AM over them as well.......

vlcmstnaz

volcom stone az
I'm going to see if I can squeeze another BP in Monday morning before work and I swing only the DNA for a round or two. I really want to give it a fair chance.

cdamron13

scerred of sbf
with the DNA you don't have to worry about it failing compression testing after a couple hundred hits either......I got tired of Demarinis failing compression, they are great bats but if you're in an area that does compression testing you almost need to have a niw back up of whatever Demarini you swing just to make sure you can have one to use

vlcmstnaz

volcom stone az
with the DNA you don't have to worry about it failing compression testing after a couple hundred hits either......I got tired of Demarinis failing compression, they are great bats but if you're in an area that does compression testing you almost need to have a niw back up of whatever Demarini you swing just to make sure you can have one to use

This is my main concern. I doubt my Juggy will pass compression tomorrow. If not, I may still consider the DNA for that reason.

scu duner

Addicted to Softballfans
1000 hit dna tested at 1200 tonight. My aftermath was like 1075 or something like that. It barely passed they said. So looks like im gonna have to find me a back up dna or bombardier. I dont think the am will pass next season.

vlcmstnaz

volcom stone az
^^^both my Juggy and AM passed tonight, the AM at 1050 on the nose and the Juggy was on the limit too. But each was close last time they were tested too (6mos ago). So maybe they've plateaued? I'm just glad I don't have to buy a new bat.

ryanclink

goes hard your way catch
you're going to want to trade me that juggy and am - I've got those good old fashioned sticks you'd love to swing 1,000 times to break in bud haha.

Goose25

Addicted to Softballfans
I haven't swung the INSAN3, however, I can tell you the DNA is no joke. The sweetspot is small (I have 400-500 cuts) on mine but when you find it, nothing in my bag compares. I have a 27oz '16 Juggy, 26oz J3A and an old Mayhem98 with about 3,000 swings and the DNA has the most distance if you find the sweet spot......

Status
Not open for further replies.