Is the Torq that good?

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I swing a 26oz '14 L1 and I ordered a 26oz EL Torq. Everyone says the Torq swings lighter than other Easton endloads, should I have ordered a 27oz or will it be similar in 26oz?

My 27 oz L2 and Torq feel the same.

To me the torq swings noticeably lighter than the L1 or L2. I'd almost go an ounce heavier on the torq.

Just got mine. Unwrapped it and did the balance test, it's actually slightly more endloaded than my L1 (less than 1/4").

Seems to me that all the guys who say it swings light are swinging 27 or 28.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
^^^ Yeah, I passed on the heavier L1's when I handled them in a store. The 26, 27, and 28 felt like three completely different bats; endload changed dramatically with weight.

I've seen a lot of people say the Torq doesn't get more endloaded as the weight goes up, even though Easton says it has the same progressive endload.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Easton seems to vary endload from model to model, even though they say they have the same weighting.

Just handled a 26oz Kirby in a store this morning, WAAAAAY more ass than my 26oz L1 and Torq, even though the barrel still says "1oz endload".

I usually ignore graphics and advertised endloads and just go by feel, but it can get frustrating when you live in Canada, bats sell for $350 locally, and you have to buy blind over the interwebz.

WillW3

Starting Player

I have this posted in a different thread, but I figured it could be useful here as well. All are 27 oz.

jcmichaels42

Addicted to Softballfans
Easton seems to vary endload from model to model, even though they say they have the same weighting.

Just handled a 26oz Kirby in a store this morning, WAAAAAY more ass than my 26oz L1 and Torq, even though the barrel still says "1oz endload".

I usually ignore graphics and advertised endloads and just go by feel, but it can get frustrating when you live in Canada, bats sell for $350 locally, and you have to buy blind over the interwebz.

I got the ASA Kirby, and it's definitely more endloaded than any of the other Eastons I have, including the Torq and the Wegman.

WillW3

Starting Player
I just got a 30 oz. Kirby in the mail today. Thing says 5 oz. endload on it. Feels like it too. Feels good. However, the endload still doesn't feel as harsh as the L1.

If that table's any illustration, the Kirby's more endloaded than those other bats.

The Kirby is the most end loaded bat I've ever swung. Granted I've only swung 26 & 27 '12 line up.

gerdasmith

I was watching the Major on TV last night from this weekend in FL. I saw Kirby and Baker weren't even using their own bats. Most of the guys were using the lime green torq. What is so good about it? and do they make one with a stationary handle? I don't see how that moving handle would benefit guys using an overlap grip. It seems like it would only work with a baseball grip, which I still use. Anyone have some good info for me? Thanks.

its good but sometimes for televised events they'll push the latest bat.

o.png

WillW3

Starting Player
Tell you what, tomorrow I'll line up all my 28 oz. Eastons up on a table and take a similar pic and see where they all stand for endload. I have quite a few of them to get a comparison.

I could do a lineup of 30s too.

They all just have a thin tape grip too, so no heavy grips or knobcuffs to alter the swing weight.

That'd be interesting to see. My Kirby is the only one that didn't have a knob cuff on in that picture.

kingpin119

Addicted to Softballfans
I just got a 30 oz. Kirby in the mail today. Thing says 5 oz. endload on it. Feels like it too. Feels good. However, the endload still doesn't feel as harsh as the L1.

If that table's any illustration, the Kirby's more endloaded than those other bats.

that's a misprint, it should say 4oz. I've got a 30oz realtree that says 5oz too. when I saw that I got a hold of easton and they said they had quite a few go out with that misprint and not only in the realtree.

Jusrah99

Outstanding Bad Mudasuka!
that's a misprint, it should say 4oz. I've got a 30oz realtree that says 5oz too. when I saw that I got a hold of easton and they said they had quite a few go out with that misprint and not only in the realtree.

Its not a misprint, but its just marketing

26= 1 oz
27= 2 oz
28= 3oz
30= 5oz

29 would be a 4oz

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Thanks to El Nino and global warming, I got out to swing my new Torq today.

Left the stock grip on for a few swings, couldn't feel any handle rotation with a regular baseball grip. I naturally line up my knocking knuckles so I forced myself to take a box grip (knocking knuckles to big knuckles) for a few swings. Felt the handle rotate halfway through and my knocking knuckles automatically re-aligned midswing. So as gimmicky as I think the handle is, it actually does something. Since I normally drop 2 fingers, the Torq handle is useless to me though. So I ripped off the godawful stock grip, put 2 layers of packing tape over the joint, and put one layer of hockey tape on the grip. Then I got to hitting:

I hit a variety of balls, .52/275, .44/375, .40/400, .47/525, you name it. Bat was stiff and unforgiving at first, typical new Easton. But the feel started changing within 50 swings. The barrel started getting softer and slight mis-hits stopped ringing my hands.

Within 100 hits, the Torq had webbing and was out-distancing my 1500 hit '14 L1. The barrel started feeling softer, but it was still responsive; I knew when I missed the sweetspot, and I knew damn well when I hit it perfectly.

Put about 175-200 total hits on it. There's a fair bit of webbing and I hit a good number of 320'+ shots. The farthest one I hit was about 350-360' and after finding the ball in the trees, I was surprised to find it was a .44/375 and not one of the hard balls. For reference, I couldn't sniff a 300' fence with the L1 until it had about 1000 hits on it.

Hands down the best Easton I've swung, and from what others are saying, the durability is still there.

kingpin119

Addicted to Softballfans
So they misprinted every 30 oz bat? All the 30's i had said 5oz EL

I apologize if I'm wrong, I've never personally seen a 30oz kirby, I was just going off what easton told me. my 30 realtree said 5oz but my buddies said 4oz, I called them about it and they told me they had a bunch of misprints and they didn't have any bats with a 5oz endload. but you know how that goes, you can talk to three different reps and get three different answers.

JPG

Lefty
At the end of it all and owning a torq, I am not a fan of it. I dislike the spinning handle and the taper.

Jusrah99

I apologize if I'm wrong, I've never personally seen a 30oz kirby, I was just going off what easton told me. my 30 realtree said 5oz but my buddies said 4oz, I called them about it and they told me they had a bunch of misprints and they didn't have any bats with a 5oz endload. but you know how that goes, you can talk to three different reps and get three different answers.

No worries, i was just saying what i've seen...i guess there was a misprint issue.

I'm not surprised, i have a Wegman that has Scott Kirby's signature printed on it...

WillW3

Starting Player
At the end of it all and owning a torq, I am not a fan of it. I dislike the spinning handle and the taper.

The knob irritates me more than the handle. I had to put a GnR on there so I could get my fingers off the bat.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I've seen a lot of these with bad paint chips. I have a small one in mine, but I accidentally hit it on something, and it hasn't gotten any worse.

Agreed. Mine now has 4,300 swings and not one chip.

some bats had the paint chip off some didnt

I guess I got one with bad primer. Under 300 hits, a good sized chip, and several raised webbing lines that you can catch with a fingernail. :(

Jusrah99

I guess I got one with bad primer. Under 300 hits, a good sized chip, and several raised webbing lines that you can catch with a fingernail. :(

Did it feel broken in early on? Or do you think it needed work? Mine has no marks besides field wear...but most of the hits in it are with 52's...

Hiltz

Built for comfort
It felt good within 50 hits, I would've gamed it without hesitation after 100 hits. Balls were mostly harder, 400 and 525 compression with some .44/375's and .52/275's mixed in.

I used the same balls to break in a 2014 L1 I got last year. It has over 1500 hits with no chips or flaking, and took 1000+ cuts to get halfway good.

Jusrah99

It felt good within 50 hits, I would've gamed it without hesitation after 100 hits. Balls were mostly harder, 400 and 525 compression with some .44/375's and .52/275's mixed in.

I used the same balls to break in a 2014 L1 I got last year. It has over 1500 hits with no chips or flaking, and took 1000+ cuts to get halfway good.

I have one NIW, i wonder if that'll chip faster than my first one. I dont even know why i need a back up Torq with them being so durable...i'm no Madbeers...:D