Just had to do the math and the logic behind this trend

FastTodd

Banned User
OK, I just had to do the math over the whole "ball cost are expensive" B.S. that I get from every tournament and league director as an excuse to why they can't give us good balls anymore.

Here's some interesting conclusions based on 10 teams, double elimination, including the "if" game:

Gross Revenue @$350/team = $3500

* Umpires @$25/game = $475 23.5%
* Field Rental @$50/game = $950 46.0%
* Insurance per Tournament = $100 5%
* Balls $5/ball = $95 4.7%
* Prizes = $400 19.8%

Net Costs = $2020

Total Profit = $1480

Obviously I'm not including cost of employees, gate fees, consessions, etc. as that is a separate topic. I'm just trying to stick to the basic that everyone can understand.

#1 cost by far, field rental per game. Price is typically not negotiable.
#2 cost is umpire fees per game. Price is typically not negotiable.
These two costs alone are 70% of the total costs to run a tournament.

Coming in closely behind these costs are prizes at 20%, which is typically a fixed cost and is not dependent upon the total number of teams. Therefore, the more teams, then less cost as an overall percentage. Therefore, it is incumbent upon the director to have as many teams as possible because he can then increase his total profit.

On to the balls discussion. Balls are less than 5% of the total cost of the tournament. Directors are claiming that balls "are very expensive" - at most $5/ball. I know this to not be true as I have provided them with links to Dudley Thunder and Trump Stote for $30-$36/case or approximately $3/ball. So why they are buying crap balls for $5 is beyond me considering it pisses off so many of their "customers". So let's imagine that a director decides they want to attract more teams to a tournament. There are really only two ways to do it. Offer a better prize package, which cuts into profits in the 20%+ range - very expensive way to get teams to come and you really have to attract a lot of teams to cover the increased prize cost because your big expenses, umpires and field rentals, have to be covered. Or, by the flawed logic of the directors, they can spend an extra $1 per ball to get better balls. I know of no player that wants to play with a Worth 40/375 Gold Dot when it's >75º outside. Especially when the tournament has 320 ft, 400 ft, or even open fields. So let's say the balls actually cost $1/ea more. That's still only $20 for the entire tournament! Or if they use my links to better balls they can actually make $40 in profit by buying better balls and attracting more teams. The good will created by a tournament using better balls will bring more teams and more profit to the director. Am I blind to this point of view? Am I the only one that sees this?

Next, I've heard the argument that insurance is expensive. Well, I researched that too. I found several on-line insurance policies for men's softball tournaments. A single day insurance policy only runs on average $100. The directors buy insurance for the entire year either through the association or on their own. It covers both liability and accidentals. When was the last time you tried to file a claim with the director for an injury. You have to use your own insurance first! Then you can file a claim and hope that you don't have to sue the director. So far, I've been playing tournament ball for over 10 years and have only seen 1 person truly injured where the rest of his life was significantly impacted as a result of the injury. I'm pretty sure he didn't file a claim against the association for the loss of his eye. However, he does still play ball! Because they buy a single policy up front for the entire year, I know the costs have to be significantly lower. Therefore, even overestimating the cost at $100/tournament the cost of insurance is still a fixed cost and only runs 5% of the overall total. It is a negligible cost that can be reduced by the more teams that play. Again.... back to the one thing the directors can control. Better balls = more teams = more % profit. Proof in point - ESA. I don't know a single team that doesn't want to play ESA because "the balls suck". Everyone wants to play ESA - better bats, better balls, better fields. Albeit the Temecula fields are far more expensive ($150 fee per team, per day), but I've not ever been to an ESA tournament where we didn't have at least 12 teams per division. Plus, they charge teams the extra $150 to cover the field costs. So they really aren't losing any money as they are passing the cost through to the teams and the teams are willing to pay it to play because of the better equipment. Guaranteed, if they used crappy balls and didn't take care of the fields, nobody would be willing to pay $450. That's like asking teams to pay $450 to play in Ramona. How many teams do you think would actually show up? I would bet my house than nobody would play for $450. Therefore, there has to be a reason why teams are willing to pay an extra $150. I bet on better equipment.

Another excuse I've heard from directors is that they are limited in terms of which balls they can use by the association and the insurance companies. Again, I call B.S. The insurance companies insure the association based on the rule book and association standards. The insurance companies don't dictate which equipment can be used. They simply insure the association for what they specify to use. For example, SSUSA specifies 47/525 Trump Stote as the specified ball. What do we get? - Spirit 40/375 garbage ball. ASA specifies 47/375, 44/375, or 40/375 with pretty much all manufacturer's being approved to supply balls. What do we get 40/375 Worth Gold Dot that hits like a 30/300 when they could be using a Thunder or Trump or even the DeMarini balls that actually last more than 5 swings. If you don't believe me you can find all this information on line at SSUSA and ASA. The point I'm trying to make is that the arguments made by the directors are completely unfounded. They are actively making a choice to reduce their profits by using crappy balls. For example, let's say "good balls" cost $1/ball more, which we know isn't true, but for argument sake.... that only increases the total tournament cost by $19 or 0.1% total cost. On the flip side, if they improved the good will of their association by being known for supplying good balls, they could attract more teams and hence make more profit. By simply attracting 2 more teams they only increase the total number of bracketed games by 4 to 23 games, which provides them with $380 more profit or an increase of total profit of 20%! Hmmm... let's see 0.1% increase in costs to make 20% more profit....I know I have an MBA and a PhD., but it's shouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out.

So my point here is that directors that will even go so far as to use the actual spec ball from the association will surely stand to make more profit and improve the good will of their tournaments. Can you imagine running any business where you tell the CEO you aren't willing to spend 0.1% to improve the good will of the company and make 20% more profit? I'd surely fire the person that didn't spend the 0.1% because they were being cheap. So why is it that they insist on shooting themselves in the foot over $20 for better balls? How many times do I have to offer to pay the extra $20 out of my own pocket for the entire tournament before they stop saying that the teams don't want to pay the extra $2/team? It's only $2/team to buy 19 better balls! Hell, even ESA forces you to buy $5 balls for backups and $150 extra fee for the fields. Therefore, the logic that the extra $2/team will prevent teams from showing argument by the directors is complete nonsense. Yes, people complained the first year that ESA came to town because they were used to the associations providing backups. But after a while, people stopped complaining because they liked hitting a great ball 400 feet. I'm sure teams will get over the $2 increase very quickly and if they don't I'll be happy to pay the extra $20 for everyone - you cheap bastards ;-)

So now that I've de-bunked the math, the balls, the insurance, and the logic behind this trend, I'm curious to know what other people think.

mychal

BET+UNCF+BASA+BHM=STFU
cliff notes anyone?

Worth Gold Dots cost $30/dozen
Dudley Thunders cost $36/dozen

Tournament director picks the Gold Dots and treats people who ask about his ball choice like idiots by giving them the run-around. They continue to pay their fees and use the crappy balls, so why should he care about using better quality balls?

LMK

Jabroni21

Addicted to Softballfans
...... wow! You should print this out and give it to your Tourney director at your next tourney... See what he does.. Something tells me he will pull a Lou Brown on what he did to Roger Dorn's contract in Major League.. Or he will say you can either play with what I provide or don't play at all... with EAD, GFY and GTFO under his breath....

sdm24

You stay classy San Diego
$50 a game for field rental? Do people agree that this is typical? Those better be some sweet fields with someone dragging the diamonds for you after every game for that price. Definately not typical in this area. I think our last tournament the price of field rental was $250 and that went up from the previous years price of $150

jaj23

Eye Baller
I read the whole thing...it took less than 5 minutes...you guys are lazy bastards. It makes sense and is well thought-out. We need more people like the OP in public office. The problem is most people are too lazy to figure things out. I say take the time to do it right the first time and use that as a model for future tournaments. It will save time and money in the long run.

Last edited:

Moose40

I make turtles look fast
You are a ****ing idiot if you think even one person is going to read all of that bull****.

Phew, I stopped reading at 75% of it, so you are still correct that people won't read all of it, all i got for my time was a headache.

but he says that if LD or Tourney people paid a little more to get a better ball, more teams would play, and increase profits for tourney.
Assuming OP is hoping more profit for tourney increases value of prizes.

bamaboy1626

You need my opinion!!!
please tell me where you are paying $350 per tournament so I can never go there. And if this is tournament ball, why is it not BYOB?

r1urdone

Addicted to Softballfans
My league director tried to tell me this year that its $65 a game for our field.

I happen to work for a very large company that does a corporate league down there so I talked to the director of that league because we are friendly, he said when they started at $35 a game and after some negotiating he was at $30 a game… I plan to pass this info along to the rest of the league after its finished next week, so they know how bad they are getting ripped off

djcs1204

King Jackie!!!
I dont even pay $350 for states! and yes it should be BYOB.

It's not always BYOB. There are plenty of places here that require you to hit the ball sold at the park. Luckily, here in NC our directors for ISA that do this are players too and require us to buy ISA X-Rocks .44/375 for 5 a ball or 55 a dozen. They are bricks.

FastTodd

Banned User
please tell me where you are paying $350 per tournament so I can never go there. And if this is tournament ball, why is it not BYOB?

We play in SoCal - LA, Orange, San Diego. ESA is played in Temecula (South of Riverside - East LA). I have argued for years for BYOB, but the director's won't have it. They claim teams won't come if they have to bring their own balls. Maybe it's the $350 fee + $36 for a dozen balls? Again, the logic is flawed because teams pay $450 for ESA AND bring their own balls at $5/ea. You can imaging how many balls we lose when a guy weighing 135 can hit the ball 400 feet.

Another issue is that BYOB is the only way to stop the cheating. We throw in Thunders for backups. The other team hits a 400 ft home run. Then they throw in a used/dead Gold Dot for use to hit the next inning. Of course the standing "rule" is that you can't ask to switch out the ball, you have to hit it out so it can't be returned to play. Considering the used Gold Dot is worth maybe 250ft with a juiced bat, it's a completely unfair scenario. We try to do the right thing and throw in great ball for both teams, but we frequently get burned and even lose games by trying to be fair and have more fun with better equipment. We even get burned by the umpires. We throw in a Thunder as the backup ball to start the game. When the umpire goes to his bag to get the backup he digs through the bag and pulls out the worst ball he can find instead of the ball we were required to throw in at the beginning of the game. Then when we question him about why we have to give a backup ball if they aren't going to use it the response we get is to just hit the ball.

FastTodd

Banned User
It's not always BYOB. There are plenty of places here that require you to hit the ball sold at the park. Luckily, here in NC our directors for ISA that do this are players too and require us to buy ISA X-Rocks .44/375 for 5 a ball or 55 a dozen. They are bricks.

In my experience, the only way we get good balls is to travel out of state. When we go to Az we get 47/525's. Their logic is that the heat kills the ball. It does a little, but I'll take a 47/525 in 90º heat any day over a Gold Dot at 70º.

NDshotokan

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
You are a ****ing idiot if you think even one person is going to read all of that bull****.

Wow. Obviously reading isn't one of your strong suits. Perhaps stick to coloring books.

Well written post OP. You made a lot of good points, and backed them up with well researched proof.

That was well worth the 3 minutes it took to read. Thanks.

Joker

Wow. Obviously reading isn't one of your strong suits. Perhaps stick to coloring books.

Well written post OP. You made a lot of good points, and backed them up with well researched proof.

That was well worth the 3 minutes it took to read. Thanks.

says the guy who took 3 minutes to read it

NDshotokan

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
says the guy who took 3 minutes to read it

Meaning? The post is about 1,500 words long. At 3 minutes is approximately 500 words per minute, which is an above average reading speed. Average person would read that post in 3-5 minutes.

Therefore, I'm neither a retard, or a nerd. That you know of.