Labrum tear

Kenny Powers

Addicted to Softballfans
Went to the orthopedist last week with some shoulder pain. Gotten progressively worse over the last 3 years. Doc says it looks like a posterior Labrum tear. Have the MRI this Friday.

Anybody know recovery time? Doc says 6 weeks then rehab.

I know everyone is different, just wondering what to expect from your past experiences. When can I hit the weights again and when can I start throwing?

Looking for advice from peeps that have had it in the past.

Thanks in advance.

ALB_Bones

Philippians 4:13
Dislocated shoulder in 2008 and after MRI doc said I damaged my labrum, had surgery mid Nov, during surgery they found partially torn rotator cuff, repaired both, started PT in Dec, did well in PT and was release from PT after 6 weeks, was swinging a bat in late Jan, played softball starting in March, still was sore and weak throwing but I was a pitcher so wasn't bothered by that. Really didnt lift heavy weights for about a year, now been lifting heavy and havent had any problems.

BeastoftheNEast

Bat Ritard
50% posterior tear. 31yrs old. had surgery oct 7th 2010. sling for 4 weeks. rehab at week 8. swinging 100% by month 3-4. lifting on my own by month 4-5. released in month 5 (march) from rehab. started my throwing program when released. eh'd most of the season. had a couple set backs where i would try to throw too hard, took 3 weeks to recover each time. throwing about 75-80% right now. feel like i should be able to throw harder, but just don't have the ligament or arm strength yet. ROM is probably 95%+. Strength was at 100% by month 6 (including all overhead presses). just the throwing is lagging behind but i feel like in a little more time (3-6mo), i should be at least over 90%.

seanml11

The Whole Shabangabang
Went to the orthopedist last week with some shoulder pain. Gotten progressively worse over the last 3 years. Doc says it looks like a posterior Labrum tear. Have the MRI this Friday.

I know everyone is different, just wondering what to expect from your past experiences. When can I hit the weights again and when can I start throwing?

Thanks in advance.

I have had 2 shoulder surgeries in the past 2 years to the same shoulder (right). My first surgery was a repair to the posterior and anterior labrum of the right shoulder. I started physical therapy a month after my surgery and was cleared to slowly start doing more aggressive movements after 3 months. I was pretty much close to normal at the 6 month mark. The second surgery was to repair my torn labrum, AGAIN, in the posterior and anterior portion of my shoulder. The Ortho also did a Mumford procedure which is a decompression of the AC joint. The procedure consists of shaving the clavicle, collar bone, down and cutting the tip of it off in the AC joint. Again, I was cleared at the 3 month mark to do more aggressive movements/therapy and at the 6 month mark I feel about 85% back to normal. I just have more pain and weekness this second time around. I'm pretty sure that is standard though. I will pray for your recovery and I hope all goes well!

checker1983

Thanks in advance.

I had mine done last year. I was in a sling for 6 weeks, and started rehab at 2 weeks. Recovery time to be 90-100% would proly be around the 1 year mark. But like you stated, every1 is different. I still have pain and have another MRI scheduled in about 2 weeks to have it looked at again. Shoulders are very tricky when it comes to having surgery. GL with everything man and hope it all works out fro ya!

seanml11

The Whole Shabangabang
To be a little more specific, I was able to start lifting weights at around the 3 month mark. I highly recommend that you take everything VERY slowly and start VERY light with weights. I would stay away from any straight bar exercises involving your upper body. Too much room for compensation and shifting more weight to your "good" shoulder which could lead to injury. Start slow, with low weights, and I would stick with dumbell work exclusively. Rome wasn't built in a day and you will feel like a PUSS having to use really light weight but you have to be careful. You will have pain but it is pain that you have to work through. You will have to bust up some scar tissue and your bicep tendon tends to be VERY week after a labrum repair as well. Any specific questions, JLMK!

firemanbutch

~Brag Post~ ;)
I hurt my shoulder (non-throwing) mid July, not really sure how but decided to go see an ortho about it last week. He says he thinks I have a partial tear. Going to have a contrast MRI this week or next. It doesn't really hinder me, it's more nagging. He said he thinks it's related to softball but it doesn't bother me at all when I swing a bat or even afterwards. I'm still able to lift weights but, only do pushing exercises and light weight. Anyway, I'm hopefull that it's not torn but will update. Contrast MRI's are freaky!!!

jiminy323

Addicted to Softballfans
Ive had the same surgery I torn both sets of labrums in my throwing arm. I had arm in sling for about 3 weeks then started PT for about 3-4 months. This was back 2 years ago and Im just starting to have full power in my arm it gets sore from time to time and might have to do extra stretches to help rotation and arm strength. Once you have the confidence in your arm your recovery will happen much faster. My problem was i waited about a year before i even got it checked out and my shoulder would always dislocate on the simplest activites. Now i have no fear of throwing the ball hard or great distance because i know its not gunna pop out of shocket!!

firemanbutch

~Brag Post~ ;)
I hurt my shoulder (non-throwing) mid July, not really sure how but decided to go see an ortho about it last week. He says he thinks I have a partial tear. Going to have a contrast MRI this week or next. It doesn't really hinder me, it's more nagging. He said he thinks it's related to softball but it doesn't bother me at all when I swing a bat or even afterwards. I'm still able to lift weights but, only do pushing exercises and light weight. Anyway, I'm hopefull that it's not torn but will update. Contrast MRI's are freaky!!!

Just got back from my sports medicine doc and the MRI showed a torn labrum :( He recommended surgery and referred me to an orthopedic surgeon. I guess it's a scope. Have an appt. Thursday with the surgeon, more to come. Not looking forward to this. Will be the first time I've ever had to have surgery for an injury.

p17

SBFs 16th all time poster
I've been dealing with my own for about two years now. I think I may have the surgery this winter :(

Kenny Powers

Addicted to Softballfans
I've been dealing with my own for about two years now. I think I may have the surgery this winter :(

Get it looked at.....I was in the same boat and am currently scheduling surgery on the rotator cuff and labrum in mid October.

p17

SBFs 16th all time poster
I've been to the doctor a few times. Tried everything else (therapy, cortizone shot, rest) but it keeps getting worse. Only one thing left to do. My MRI 15 months ago showed a torn labrum, partially torn rotator cuff, and lots of tendonitis. It's probably much worse now. My arm arguably used to be my greatest strength...I am resigned to the fact I may never have that ability again. Oh well. I am becoming a pretty good first baseman :)

Kenny Powers

Addicted to Softballfans
I had mine done last year. I was in a sling for 6 weeks, and started rehab at 2 weeks. Recovery time to be 90-100% would proly be around the 1 year mark. But like you stated, every1 is different. I still have pain and have another MRI scheduled in about 2 weeks to have it looked at again. Shoulders are very tricky when it comes to having surgery. GL with everything man and hope it all works out fro ya!

At what point could ya'll start swinging a bat?

Surgery in mid October and hoping to be swinging at the end of April? Sound realistic? I can play 1st so the throwing won't be an issue right away.

ALB_Bones

Philippians 4:13
At what point could ya'll start swinging a bat?

Surgery in mid October and hoping to be swinging at the end of April? Sound realistic? I can play 1st so the throwing won't be an issue right away.

You should be able to swing by then, had my surgery (labrum and partial RC tear) in Nov and was swinging by Jan/Feb. Just take the PT serious and you'll be good to go. I pitched so I didn't have to worry to much about throwing either.

Kenny Powers

Addicted to Softballfans
Had the surgery on October 19th to repair the labrum and rotator cuff. Everything appeared to go smoothly. The day after was very painful and each day I gain more and more movement back and the pain and soreness subsides. I am now back at work (I'm an accountant) and am off the percocet. I am in the sling and doing to small movements prescribed by the doctor for post-surgery/pre-rehab. Stitches out on November 1 and rehab starts that same day. I know it is gonna be a long road, but am looking forward to the challenge.

Question for everyone, the surgeon told me that I won't be able to run for 3 months due to the shoulder movements and I know lifting outside of the rehab is out of the question, but I didn't get a real clear answer on stationary bikes, just when your ready (can even be in a sling). I typically run a 5k about 3 times per week, so this non-active stuff is killing me. Prolly gonna have to change my diet to (reduce calories) while I am not active.