Legit way to break in a bat other than BP?

CJ8

Addicted to Softballfans
Technically all these ideas are just as illegal as rolling the bat. IJS

dr0p

w0cka fl0cka
Unless you're hitting BP, you're altering your bat. So just roll it and be done with it. **** these goons sitting around hitting the bat 100's of times with a mallet, lulz.

CPhoenixM

Extra Hitter
Why would using a ball mallet be considered altering the bat? You're still putting bat to ball, and you aren't altering the bat.

Ferrari1

Addicted to Softballfans
Why would using a ball mallet be considered altering the bat? You're still putting bat to ball, and you aren't altering the bat.

I was wondering the same thing...Altered bats are frowned upon on this site but if a bat mallet is altering then why can you buy them off the board:confused:

ser7643

Every day I'm Shuffilin!

Once you add something to the ball (stick to make it a mallet) then it is no longer USSSA legal thus making it illegal to hit it with a bat.

If going by the rulebook the only thing that is to hit the bat is a USSSA Sanction Approved Softball. With that being said hitting Launch 650 softballs is not legal either....technically speaking of course.:rolleyes:

CPhoenixM

Extra Hitter
Once you add something to the ball (stick to make it a mallet) then it is no longer USSSA legal thus making it illegal to hit it with a bat.

If going by the rulebook the only thing that is to hit the bat is a USSSA Sanction Approved Softball. With that being said hitting Launch 650 softballs is not legal either....technically speaking of course.:rolleyes:

I think that's taking the rule a little too literally. I don't believe that you would ever get in trouble for using a ball-mallet to break in a bat.

ser7643

Every day I'm Shuffilin!
I think that's taking the rule a little too literally. I don't believe that you would ever get in trouble for using a ball-mallet to break in a bat.

I agree if someone doesn't want to take BP I don't think using a mallet is a huge issue but hitting a pole or rolling makes a bat illegal in sanctioned USSSA play.

Sel

Addicted to Softballfans
Using a softball taped to the end of a dead weight Harbor Freight mallet to break in my catchers mitt. To cheap to buy a bat mallet, to lazy right now to make one, and sure as hell not going to break in a catchers mitt during a league game.

Take a mallet (http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/i...bbing-Hammer/_/N-ntm0a/No-24/R-I1031782?Num=0) and carve out enough room to put it inside of a softball, and then smash your bat with it. Easier to keep track of rotation than BP, too.

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League
There is no other legal way other than hitting a ball with the bat naturally. As suggested above use harder softballs or let someone who play alot use it for a week or se.

baldgriff

Lead Oompah Loompah....
Seriously - a "Ball Mallet" is essentially a hammer in the shape of a softball. If you wouldnt use a hammer, why would a "Ball Mallet" be any different. I know its old fashioned - I have never owned a worked bat - If you want it to get broken in and dont have time to swing it - take it to games tell team that anyone is allowed to swing it and make it a team bat for a few weeks. It will get broken in.

ser7643

Every day I'm Shuffilin!
Seriously - a "Ball Mallet" is essentially a hammer in the shape of a softball. If you wouldnt use a hammer, why would a "Ball Mallet" be any different. I know its old fashioned - I have never owned a worked bat - If you want it to get broken in and dont have time to swing it - take it to games tell team that anyone is allowed to swing it and make it a team bat for a few weeks. It will get broken in.

There lies the problem....a lot of guys playing now adays don't do things the right way. They roll/shave/vice/etc bats, they play down one or two levels so they can look like studs, the put softballs in coolers or have softballs restiched with a high compression ball, or anything else you can think of to get an edge. If you ain't cheating you ain't competing seems to be the motto of most players. Sad if you ask me.

CPhoenixM

Extra Hitter

Depends on the mallet -- if it's a homemade one where you're literally just putting something inside of a ball so you can swing it like a hammer I don't see what the issue would be. Some people are very particular about their bats and don't want people they don't know swinging them, and some of those people don't have the time or the manpower to get out and do BP often.

Again, you're taking the rule a little too literally if you really frown upon someone using a ball mallet to break in a bat.

LSU_MJL

WHO DAT!!!
Unless you're hitting BP, you're altering your bat. So just roll it and be done with it. **** these goons sitting around hitting the bat 100's of times with a mallet, lulz.

So....hitting a ball with a bat is fine but hitting a bat with a ball is not?

That just doesn't even make sense. IMO, altering is shaving or rolling and that's it. If it's a ball hitting the bat it's not altering anything, I don't care what the "rules" say. Is the ump gonna toss the bat and say "well you obviously didn't break this bat in with bp, it had to be a ball mallet or telephone poll":rolleyes:

LSU_MJL

WHO DAT!!!
I think there's a company that you can send your bat to and they'll take 2-3 hundred bp swings on it.

lmao...yeah, there is. I don't get it. Pay me and I'll swing your bat. How about hell no. But obvioulsy there are tools who pay for this service otherwise it wouldn't exist.

ss_stud

Addicted to Softballfans
if youre considering using a ball mallet or a telephone pole to bang the bat on, then you might as well roll it.....since all those methods are altering the bat

LSU_MJL

WHO DAT!!!
if youre considering using a ball mallet or a telephone pole to bang the bat on, then you might as well roll it.....since all those methods are altering the bat

I guess if you want to be technical hitting a ball is altering the bat since it "breaks in" the more you hit with it, it's being altered, right?

The only way to truly avoid altering a bat is to never use it.

CPhoenixM

Extra Hitter

Hitting a bat with a ball is altering the bat as much as hitting a ball with a bat.

J MO

Best home run hitter in E
I used a bowling ball to break in my llast ASA stick.. while I was sitting around watching TV, I would tap the bat on the bowling ball.. I made sure to rotate the bat frequently while I was doing it. my bat came alive after a couple of episodes of Eastbound and down

CPhoenixM

Extra Hitter
Nevermind, I found it:

The bat has been subjected to pressure in a manner that exceeds that of striking the bat at game speed swing
speed against a USSSA approved ball traveling at game speeds. Such pressure would include, but is not
limited to, compressing the bat, rolling the bat, vicing the bat or hitting the bat against an object such as a
tree or pole. The bat has in any other way had its on field performance improved by physically changing the
bat (other than by hitting the bat at game condition swing speeds against a USSSA approved ball traveling
at game condition speeds).

Nothing in there suggests that using a ball mallet would be considered altering the bat to me, aside from maybe the last sentence. However the first seems to leave it pretty open to argument.

Houdini5150

Addicted to Softballfans
Tap bat against light pole and rotate bat each turn....

I would assume hitting off the tee if you can. Otherwise the ball mallet or BP and perhaps Roll the bat ha