Lifting heavy in season.....

tap2284

Watching baseball somewhere
Since it's slow in here, what are people's thoughts on lifting heavy while in season. (Yes I know it's softball) Does anyone change their routine or just same all year round?

wcoastsoftball

Pretty much same routine year around. Like you said, we are not pro or paid athletes, and while we want to perform to the best of our ability, if one cannot recover form a morning workout in time to play a late evening game, they need to rethink their nutrition and such.

I even try to get my high school kids to lift in season on game day (with a reasonable workout) but most of the time the coaches are still stuck in the past on believing this is not a good thing.

As for workout load, I train heavy, even on game day if needed (though I may change or remove some exercises), and it doesn't hinder my play. As for the workout, I use a Cressey template of Show and Go or HPH.

Nietzsche

Drowned God
Nothing changes at all. Lift heavy to maintain strength or building more. The volume gets downshifted a bit but other than that its the same all year round.

MPT23

Putting on the foil
I just got back into lifting regularly again and try and keep my routine consistent, game day or not.

corndiggity

Addicted to Softballfans
I've been doing 531 for a few years now. This spring I switched to a 2day/wk routine and love it so far. DL/OHP on Sunday and Squat/Bench Thursday.

These may change depending on league and tourney skeds and what not but it's going good. Leave lots of time for ball and additional conditioning/mobility days as needed.

Plan to switch back to 3/4 days/wk come Oct/Nov.

corndiggity

Addicted to Softballfans
I even try to get my high school kids to lift in season on game day (with a reasonable workout) but most of the time the coaches are still stuck in the past on believing this is not a good thing.

I've had great results in the past when getting a call to sub just after I've finished a workout. Down a shake and go. I'm tired, but the bat feels light, hips are firing and I find I'm killing the ball.

wcoastsoftball

I've had great results in the past when getting a call to sub just after I've finished a workout. Down a shake and go. I'm tired, but the bat feels light, hips are firing and I find I'm killing the ball.

I agree, I have had some of my better games at the plate after a workout earlier in the day.

tap2284

Typically I wont workout before a game but will workout after or the morning after. I may adjust the volume the week for before a tourney but will still lift heavy.

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
I have my best tournaments if I trash my lower back with some deadlifts the day before. Not sure how or why but it never fails me.

I've been having some SI joint woes, and for whatever reason deadlifting and squatting helps ease that too.

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
To answer the OP, I lift heavy year round. Have for a long time. Hasn't made me any worse than I usually am.

briney11

Addicted to Softballfans
I do 5-3-1 so I'm never really lifting heavy. Not to mention that I seem to injure myself and have to start over at a lighter weight...alot. During the season though, I will change up my days. Like this year I played on Friday nights so I'll lift Saturday-Tuesday and then get a couple of days rest in. When the season is over, I'll go Monday-Friday and Saturday if I do P90X3 again this year.

tap2284

Constantly getting hurt while lifting? Or just hurt in general? If its due to lifting, might want to look for a coach in the area to help with technique and programming.

briney11

Addicted to Softballfans
Hurt in general. Always doing something dumb because I refuse to acknowledge my age. But I recently went to a chiropractor and found out that over the years of abuse and obesity I have a messed up spine from my neck to my tailbone as well as one leg is shorter due to my pelvis being screwed up too. So now I'm actively looking for a coach to guide me so that when the chiropractor puts me back together I can strengthen the appropriate muscles and hopefully my bones will stay put.

King Hippo

Star Player
I lift heavy year round. I just try to schedule my leg days around my game days. I've lifted on game days and my legs feel great for the first five innings. But after that they feel really heavy. I play outfield so I'm doing a decent amount of running.

Big D

In the Batter's Box
I train for strongman and power lifting comps and just take friday's off before tournaments. other then that I'm getting after it.

b#7

CAPN MORGAN
Since it's slow in here, what are people's thoughts on lifting heavy while in season. (Yes I know it's softball) Does anyone change their routine or just same all year round?

Can someone point me in the direction of the nearest gym? Oh wait nevermind it's too damn crowded in there. I go for a run overlooking the East China Sea every couple of days and hit BP a couple of days a week and do 12 oz curls with some blue gills usually while cooking me a steak or a cheeseburger.

tap2284

Can someone point me in the direction of the nearest gym? Oh wait nevermind it's too damn crowded in there. I go for a run overlooking the East China Sea every couple of days and hit BP a couple of days a week and do 12 oz curls with some blue gills usually while cooking me a steak or a cheeseburger.

You haven't missed a cheeseburger since 2005!!! And I know we have done a few 12oz curls together in the crater! Hope all is well my dude!

baseman

in your face nancy grace
I just got back into working out after 10 years. I've been conditioning with my wife at home and in September We start doing the Body Beast workout plan for 90 days. I have found a good hard workout the day before and then yoga 1 hr before the game has helped my hitting. It couldn't hurt it any worse than it was. I never noticed this section of SBF before so will need to keep an eye on it.

wcoastsoftball

I just got back into working out after 10 years. I've been conditioning with my wife at home and in September We start doing the Body Beast workout plan for 90 days. I have found a good hard workout the day before and then yoga 1 hr before the game has helped my hitting. It couldn't hurt it any worse than it was. I never noticed this section of SBF before so will need to keep an eye on it.

It is pretty quiet in here now compared to 5-6 years ago, though maybe not for good reasons. But if you search there is some great info, and feel free to ask or share anything to start conversation as well.

eviladams

All hail Megatron.....

I work 24hrs, every 3rd day. I work out everyday I do not work. On game days, I make sure to go to the gym but I don't go "heavy". I do enough to get the blood flowing.

tap2284

I work 24hrs, every 3rd day. I work out everyday I do not work. On game days, I make sure to go to the gym but I don't go "heavy". I do enough to get the blood flowing.

Glorified paramedic in Milwaukee? :)

Assuming so with that work schedule....