Metal bats......A thing of the past?

Dan Schneider

The 50's Club
How do you like your 15 RT? I read another post that it almost keeps up with the composites.

I like it a lot!
I haven't noticed a difference or decline using the '15 RT to any composite I've used in the past. I like the feedback/response I'm getting from this bat.

BTW300

Addicted to Softballfans
I like it a lot!
I haven't noticed a difference or decline using the '15 RT to any composite I've used in the past. I like the feedback/response I'm getting from this bat.

Thanks for the info...The only problem is now you have me tempted to get one. and another bat is the last thing I need.

Dan Schneider

The 50's Club
Thanks for the info...The only problem is now you have me tempted to get one. and another bat is the last thing I need.

Besides the new alloy, Anderson changed their knob to the more traditional one most of the bat companies are using. Feedback from customers wanted that change. I don't mind the new changes at all. Very satisfied!

azfan

Extra Hitter
Love me those metal bats!
I will bust out my OG Techzilla & my older Rocketech all the time in composite leagues. I can't really hit ones over 300+ ft fences anymore (OG Miken Freak is the only exception) & have found those older Anderson's do a great job for hitting line drive missiles in the gaps.

Bat manufacturers are now putting out $400 bats (****YOU EASTON), and I'm a cheap ass SOB so I have no issues with good ole metal bats.
JJ

I like the way you think! :biggthumpup: This pretty much sums up how I feel. Don't get me wrong, I like composites but I seem to hit just as well with my metals. We hit really mushy balls and the old school metals in my bat bag still rock them. My weapon of choice currently is the vaunted ST1-Z. It's been good to me in the composite leagues and when I've swung some of my friend's composites the distance is pretty much the same. We hit mushy .40/300 or .44/300 balls.

I also have an OGTZ that I just recently bought. Have only gotten to use it in one game but was impressed with the liners I was hitting with it and the distance seemed pretty good as well. My thoughts are keep swinging metals if that's your thing and if a person wants to swing a certain bat...then let 'em (unless it's a Hammer, Bruiser or some other POS metal). :p

mossman

That's how we dooze it!
I love this too. I have a red EST that I pull out every once in a while when the shaved bat talk starts. Guys shut up real fast when they see a ball go further with a red EST than they can hit with their composites.

The .52 balls definitely make the bat you use less relevant. I'm not saying I'd go to the plate with a Hammer, but a good metal bat will hit .52s nearly as well as a composite.

That's the problem, what are the good metal bats currently in production? Very small list. Especially 1 piece doublewall? Are those even made anymore?

thejuggster

Dying of WTP Disease
I use old Betsie about 2 or 3 ABs a week. My 27oz B/G PST. She still hits 44/375s with the best of them.

blakcherry329

I would say that upwards of 95% of the adult softball played around here is with the DeBeers Clincher F12. I still see a lot of metal. It's almost a waste of money to swing a composite bat.

I play in a couple leagues(modified and slow pitch) that use Clinchers. Lots of Yellow Catalyst and Zs. A few metals, but not as many as you would think.
I break out the aluminum for these leagues.
I love this too. I have a red EST that I pull out every once in a while when the shaved bat talk starts. Guys shut up real fast when they see a ball go further with a red EST than they can hit with their composites.

The .52 balls definitely make the bat you use less relevant. I'm not saying I'd go to the plate with a Hammer, but a good metal bat will hit .52s nearly as well as a composite.

I have the Red XEST, used to be banned by ASA, not sure if it still is and a 1990 29oz Silver Carl Rose. I use the XEST when I play ASA, sometimes. Nobody every questions the bat and it has pretty good pop, just a smaller sweet spot. Both bats are still very round with just a few waves. Nothing better than the feedback you get from a perfect hit from a metal bat.:biggthumpup:

I wish there were more Metal only leagues.:(

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Only disadvantages quality metal bats have are sweet spot size, durability (except PST's), and lack of new 1.2 approval.

east bay j

The Polish Hammer
That's the problem, what are the good metal bats currently in production? Very small list. Especially 1 piece doublewall? Are those even made anymore?

Was there ever a large list of available one-piece multiwalls (or even decent singlewalls) in any given year?

Nowadays with metal bats (2015+) you basically have Easton, Demarini, & Anderson is attempting to make a comeback. Rip-It & Louisville TPS have pretty much taken other directions.

As stated earlier the New Easton Salvo (SP15SVM), which replaces the L8.0 (SP13L8) & earlier Salvo (SP12SVM) is pretty much the only good one-piece multiwall out there. Demarini still makes good multiwall 2 piece bats & Anderson is still around with their 2 piece Rocketech buts that about it.

mossman

That's how we dooze it!
"Was there ever a large list of available one-piece multiwalls (or even decent singlewalls) in any given year?"

A large list, no. But the quality of the metal options was definitely larger back then. Just the Demarini 375's alone were higher quality options.

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
Im serious... I dont think the composite bats hit some balls well.
Who has a f2 or worth ws23 est 15" shell?

I have the about 4 ESTs and a load of Anderson metal. Right now playing single wall but ready for hot summer mush ball

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Thread makes me regret letting my ESTL go, going to pick up another Ultimate Weapon for sh**s & giggles against 52's.

east bay j

The Polish Hammer
I'm gonna go out & use my OG Techzilla this afternoon in my Over40 composite league thanks to this thread!
JJ

drive805

Addicted to Softballfans
my league changed to metals only a few years ago.
i didn't mind because i started with metals. but the league changed the HR rules too
LD said to many problems and would prefer to stay metal i know a few players that would like to go composite
i also think that staying metal makes for more competition.... just my 2cents

brandon0523

The Veteran
I still swing my 30 oz green est and I have the newer est 375 . I think they do just fine and it sure does save my other bats from breaking in the cold weather.. Plus it feels cooler to hit one out with an old metal bat when people are talking poop about what bats people use..

mongohitballfar

Cool Deal
I keep an OG Rockettech in my bag... don't swing it every game but if we are out of homeruns or I'm in a slump it helps me get back in the groove. Buddy of my swings an Easton Triple 7 a lot because he likes to **** the ball over first and he tends to hit the ball too hard with a composite bat. lol

GrinningBear

World's deadliest house husband
"Was there ever a large list of available one-piece multiwalls (or even decent singlewalls) in any given year?"

A large list, no. But the quality of the metal options was definitely larger back then. Just the Demarini 375's alone were higher quality options.

There are complete lists of every metal made broken into single and doublewalls. Several come up to a couple years ago. I cannot find the complete ones anymore because they're lost in the flood of partials and specific league lists. They're out there though. Couple websites devoted to just the lists.