Middle is closed v3

eyerolleddapiec

Loves Balls
My third installment of Middle is closed featuring my GoPro camera, and Combat Faceoff mask. Enjoy, and feel free to comment

watch

tmpnick16

Addicted to Softballfans
Nope. We saw a pitcher get blown up earlier this year so everyone wears one for the most part on our team. Just preference.

Was just curious. I wear a helmet most the time when I pitch. I know of a buddy's league where the catcher is required to wear a helmet.

eyerolleddapiec

Loves Balls
This was an unsanctioned tournament. Balls were any .44 COR so they were hitting .44/575's. Those balls are rocks. No mask especially pitching is stupid.

blueoveryou

Banned User
Link was broken for me but I assume this is it:

Those laces around the web look a little stretched out. Maybe you should send it to dirty for relacing lol

Last edited by a moderator:

eyerolleddapiec

Loves Balls
Link was broken for me but I assume this is it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HTvKeAKcZE

Those laces around the web look a little stretched out. Maybe you should send it to dirty for relacing lol

I have a nearly brand new A2000 that isnt quite ready for game time yet.

You looked to be in more danger from the throws back from the 1B than those hits.

The first two were meh hits, the last one was a solid shot.

I didnt have the camera on in the first game when I nearly got hit with the hardest shot ive ever gotten a glove on.

chancechatman

Addicted to Softballfans
Whats going to happen when someone actually hits a ball hard at you? I dont think theres been one decent ball hit at you in any of the videos you have posted yet.

eyerolleddapiec

Loves Balls
Whats going to happen when someone actually hits a ball hard at you? I dont think theres been one decent ball hit at you in any of the videos you have posted yet.

With all due respect, that third ball was hit pretty well. Im not sure what level ball you play so maybe I have a skewed perception of what a hard hit ball is. Id love to review any videos you may have of you fielding from the pitching rubber so I can see what a hard hit ball looks like.

Also I believe in my first video I get hit in the thigh hard enough for the ball to go 20ft in the air after contact. Physics wasnt my major in college, but I would have to assume something like that takes a lot of force.

I never claimed to be a stud pitcher, or fielder. But people sure do seem to enjoy watching these videos.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Honestly, I'd prefer if you were a worse pitcher and got hit more often, but I don't think that's really what you meant. :D

Even in full screen mode, it's hard to tell how hard that hit was. It's easy to tell the weak ones, but hard to gauge the others.

eyerolleddapiec

Loves Balls
Honestly, I'd prefer if you were a worse pitcher and got hit more often, but I don't think that's really what you meant. :D

Even in full screen mode, it's hard to tell how hard that hit was. It's easy to tell the weak ones, but hard to gauge the others.

It sure would make for better video if I got hit more. Some days I hope ill take one off the camera so I can A. see how tough this GoPro really is, and B. It would look cool as hell. But then I realize getting hit in the face, even with a mask on sounds pretty terrible. I remember my old hockey days, and my ears would ring on the hard shots off the mask.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, I hit my old catcher's mask I used to pitch and it's loud as hell. It wasn't a batted ball. I think I hit myself with a bat acting stupid or something.

Last edited:

Ferrari1

Addicted to Softballfans
pretty cool video! my father in law has one he said i can have(a go pro) so i think i might try it our also next season!

eyerolleddapiec

Loves Balls
pretty cool video! my father in law has one he said i can have(a go pro) so i think i might try it our also next season!

Get it ASAP and get the mount setup and get used to it. The biggest issue is getting used to the weird weighting of the camera. They are fairly heavy for their small size. Pair that with a light mask and it throws off the balance slightly. If you have a heavier helmet it may not be a big deal.

MP33

Addicted to Softballfans
We had a slightly different line up than im used to. Most of the time my SS is there to take the throw and try to turn the DP.

Although it was my fault for not confirming who I was working with

^^^Correct!!!

You throw to the bag. Its your defenses fault if no one is there to cover.......

^^^Not so much, as a pitcher, you need to talk to your MI's and see who has the bag, that way everyone is in sync

ogsoftballplaye

^^^Not so much, as a pitcher, you need to talk to your MI's and see who has the bag, that way everyone is in sync

You make a play and throw to the bag. As your teammate I would never be upset if your SS or 2B wasn't there to catch the ball. Thats not your fault.......

eyerolleddapiec

Loves Balls
When you have the same fielders in place all of the time I agree with OG. You usually wont need to talk about it because someone knows to be there. It just happened that our SS and 2nd basemen dont usually play those positions so they had a meeting instead of one person being there to turn the play

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
Yep.No, that's for their benefit. All you need to know is that someone will be there; throw to the bag, not the fielder.

If I followed this advice more balls would end up in CF than anywhere.

I try to feed them the ball on their side of the 2B bag unless it's a slow developing play.