Minnesota Thread

thelastsamurai

Addicted to Softballfans
We are going into C this year with the same squad as last year. I may be naive, but I think we can be competitive. Hopefully we build off our performance from state and northern nationals. I'd rather play with my buddies, then pick up guys I don't know or haven't played with. I think team chemistry is a good thing.

I agree, I’d rather play with guys I get along with vs trying to pick up strangers. I thought our Willys team would be that last year, we just couldn’t get guys to commit or show up.

Outdoorsman?

Yoke

Too sweeeeeeeet
I went and hit for the first time this winter last night. The first round was gross, but after that it was solid. Breaking in last years balanced EST in the cages, and that's going to be a pretty solid bat.

There are two MN rosters on Go Softball right now. I was on there looking something else up and saw that.

thelastsamurai

Addicted to Softballfans
I went and hit for the first time this winter last night. The first round was gross, but after that it was solid. Breaking in last years balanced EST in the cages, and that's going to be a pretty solid bat.

There are two MN rosters on Go Softball right now. I was on there looking something else up and saw that.
Ests are nice bats, I have found them to be a lot more durable than the 25 monstas.

tsfingrocks

Average, at best
Why is everyone trying to play as low of a level as possible? Doesn’t anyone wanna get better and move up a class every year?

My rating surpassed my talent in 2011. Almost corrected in 2012 at D+ but then skyrocketed to C+ and looking to add B soon, if that isn't a thing yet. I mean I did play catcher for 2 games as our 10th in the USSSA C Northern Division Nationals last summer when we went 3-1 to take it down. I have a really cool medal if anyone wants to see it via SnapChat.

Reactions: DFL

rmothes

Star Player
Were you guys ever Harris Construction? You were bumped maybe 4 years ago?

Not trying to step on toes, but I can answer a little for Sjoquist and let you know they are separate teams. He'd be the one to say if they have former Harris players, if any of the Harris league players play on their tourney team or not, or if he ever played for them, etc. Both Outdoorsman and Harris play in the Hastings league. Far as I know, Harris doesn't play any tournaments anymore once they got bumped.

I can't even convince them to come back to Siren to play where they used to be one of the top finishers yearly. Same with the Warriors. Both teams stopped coming the same year. Come on guys, it's ok to travel and see some different teams. We've got plenty of hotel rooms in town and plenty of drinking establishments. It is WI after all.

And if MN teams are interested, I try to run a Best of the NW tourney in Siren pitting top finishing teams from NW WI tournaments. MN teams are more than welcome to cross the border to NW WI tourneys and if you're a top 3 finisher in one of them, you'll get an invite to the Best of the NW. Some of the carney tourneys act as qualifiers for it and you can earn a paid spot. Always like seeing new teams make the trip and see what we've got to offer.

sjoquist43

Addicted to Softballfans
Were you guys ever Harris Construction? You were bumped maybe 4 years ago?

Our team is basically 1/2 of that Harris Construction team, and 1/2 of my old US Digital team. They were bumped for finishing tied for 3rd at state, maybe tied with Eagle Trace if I remember correctly. They only played league and like 2 tournaments the next year.
The year after they got bumped, our US Digital blew up. We had our 3rd kid, and I didn't have the time to run it. So me and 2 other guys got asked to play with Showbombs. Then I got bumped to B. I knew I wasn't good enough to play B, and things got into a routine again at home so I started up Outdoorsmen. Like I said half of my old team, and half Harris. Got our teeth kicked in at C, then got appealed down to D and had a great season. We did get 2 baseball players from the old Harris team to play last year as well, and obviously helped.
He is right, Harris does still have a league team, and actually some of our guys play with them in league still. Need to keep enough teams, so there can still be an upper.
Geez, there's my bio! Apologize for the book, lol!

sjoquist43

Addicted to Softballfans
Not trying to step on toes, but I can answer a little for Sjoquist and let you know they are separate teams. He'd be the one to say if they have former Harris players, if any of the Harris league players play on their tourney team or not, or if he ever played for them, etc. Both Outdoorsman and Harris play in the Hastings league. Far as I know, Harris doesn't play any tournaments anymore once they got bumped.

I can't even convince them to come back to Siren to play where they used to be one of the top finishers yearly. Same with the Warriors. Both teams stopped coming the same year. Come on guys, it's ok to travel and see some different teams. We've got plenty of hotel rooms in town and plenty of drinking establishments. It is WI after all.

And if MN teams are interested, I try to run a Best of the NW tourney in Siren pitting top finishing teams from NW WI tournaments. MN teams are more than welcome to cross the border to NW WI tourneys and if you're a top 3 finisher in one of them, you'll get an invite to the Best of the NW. Some of the carney tourneys act as qualifiers for it and you can earn a paid spot. Always like seeing new teams make the trip and see what we've got to offer.

When are your Siren tourneys? I think we will commit to play corkys, 6's, Dakota Days, state, and nationals. But after that may be flexible. How far away from the Hastings area?

rmothes

Star Player
I live in Cottage Grove and it takes me between hour and 30 minutes to an hour and 40 minutes to get to Siren going 80 on the freeway. Unfortunately, the tourney the old Harris team and the Warriors used to play in I've had to cancel. It was always first weekend in Aug., and class C, D, E, but MN state likes that weekend and several other WI tourneys have also sprung up that weekend so teams stay closer to home to play and don't come to Siren. Our first tourney is the weekend before Corky's, but it's also class D and lower, so your team couldn't play in it anymore. Our Best of the NW will take place July 21-22, and that will probably be an open or upper/lower, but for that you'd be required to play and finish high in a different NW WI tourney. Send me a pm of your email and I'll send you a list of possible WI tourneys. They'd all be even closer for you to travel to than Siren.

I'm going to try to figure out another weekend, possibly a Saturday only tourney at sometime during the summer that will be for C level teams, too. Naturally, there aren't a lot around the small town area, but if I could do a 1-day that could maybe interest enough teams.

thelastsamurai

Addicted to Softballfans
Our team is basically 1/2 of that Harris Construction team, and 1/2 of my old US Digital team. They were bumped for finishing tied for 3rd at state, maybe tied with Eagle Trace if I remember correctly. They only played league and like 2 tournaments the next year.
The year after they got bumped, our US Digital blew up. We had our 3rd kid, and I didn't have the time to run it. So me and 2 other guys got asked to play with Showbombs. Then I got bumped to B. I knew I wasn't good enough to play B, and things got into a routine again at home so I started up Outdoorsmen. Like I said half of my old team, and half Harris. Got our teeth kicked in at C, then got appealed down to D and had a great season. We did get 2 baseball players from the old Harris team to play last year as well, and obviously helped.
He is right, Harris does still have a league team, and actually some of our guys play with them in league still. Need to keep enough teams, so there can still be an upper.
Geez, there's my bio! Apologize for the book, lol!

I liked the bio:). Us digital was the team I couldn’t remember!

Jimbo81

Krueger #15
Seeing what everyone's thoughts are on pitchers wearing a mask! I think most of us have heard about the gentlemen that got hit in the head and passed away. I was reading the discussion that is happening on this site about it. Sounds like a lot of places are going to a required mask for pitchers, or sign a waiver.

Yoke

Too sweeeeeeeet
I am not a very good pitcher, but I try, and I wear a Worth pitchers helmet. I don't have any issues seeing through the mask, and it's not horribly hot. You're only wearing it for a few minutes at a time (hopefully). All those years of hockey while wearing the cage probably help, too.

I suppose it'd be trickier if I pitched for a long time without one, then started having to wear one. If that was the case, I'd probably do a lacrosse mask with the one or two bars cut out.

sjoquist43

Addicted to Softballfans
Seeing what everyone's thoughts are on pitchers wearing a mask! I think most of us have heard about the gentlemen that got hit in the head and passed away. I was reading the discussion that is happening on this site about it. Sounds like a lot of places are going to a required mask for pitchers, or sign a waiver.

I don't see a problem with making it a rule. I don't pitch though, I play 1st. I'm thinking about getting a mouthguard for the 1st time this year though.

EA Sports

Addicted to Softballfans
For leagues it should be mandatory. I see more people getting hit during league play than tournaments. The vast majority of pitchers on tournament teams are smart enough to wear them.

mnballer

Addicted to Softballfans

Barry won't wear one.. says he pitched to long with out one and can't see the ball when it's hit below his waste..

He's pitched at the a and b level, so I'm not real concerned about him.. but there always a chance..

I say it's more of a league thing to make your pitchers wear one.. but if they refuse not much you can so about it I guess..

Kenny Powers

Addicted to Softballfans
It should be mandatory at all levels and for leagues and tournaments. The new bats are so damn hot. It only takes one mistake or misstep. A very competent pitcher can slip backpedaling to fill a whole and get smoked. Accidents happen.....

mnballer

Addicted to Softballfans
So you think the new bats and a .52 ball comes off faster then the old days with blue dots and ultras ultra 2s freaks and Easton synergies..

I just started playing with all those were getting banned.. played awhile with the freaks and synergy 2's with .44s

Yoke

Too sweeeeeeeet
I’m not 100% sure how usssa works or if it will change next year, but say an asa d team wants to play bronze or lowest level duk or frolics tourneys, just submit a roster?
I'm guessing you'd just submit a roster and sign up for bronze. Might not hurt to send an email to the TD to double check, because they don't seem to move people ahead of time to the right division.

No bump for me in Utrip. Got bumped to B in ASA for a couple forfeit wins at B worlds. Gotta love the consistency in player ratings.
Did you talk to anyone with ASA about that? I'm guessing they just look at the final standings, and didn't go through all of the results.