MLB 2018: The Yankees buy a championship off of Amazon

Stretch19

Grow up
Apples and oranges my dude. Its a misleading argument to say salary in the NFL drives success. Marquee quarterbacks almost never change teams. Peyton changing teams late in his career was wild. And of course, Denver went to 2 Super Bowls, winning one. How many would they have gone to without Peyton? Rhetorical question.

In the NFL its about the draft, a fair system with no lottery or bull**** involved, and no baseball multiple-pool auction system where, again, rich teams can go after Cuban and Japanese studs and poor teams cannot. Boston can **** around and pay a Japanese pro a 50 million dollar posting fee, a one time fee on a speculative whim. Its laughably uncompetitive. The on-field success is bought. Period.

its also kinda misleading to say the salary in MLB drives success that much as well...

only 4 of the last 8 MLB champions have had payrolls in the top 6 or half dozen like you argued previously

miami got the top two cuban prospects this year, they would be considered a poor team id imagine

3XC

Big Truss
Its a league. Its not a free for all. Why even have non competitive teams? Shrink the league. Or make it godawful like Euro soccer with a half dozen superteams and 20 "feeders" that are basically minor league franchises in minor league parks. Teams that exist to scout and develop players and then charge "posting fees" and basically rent them to the big teams. Its a giant steaming pile of bull**** and obviously not competitive.

You know how the NFL will have preseason super bowl odds and people are like "Wow, the Browns are 300-1, they must be bad!" They have 5000-1 odds and beyond. Because their leagues aren't leagues at all, its just a pretext for 1-2 teams to host games and sell tickets.

3XC

Big Truss
only 4 of the last 8 MLB champions have had payrolls in the top 6 or half dozen like you argued previously
Since the Steinbrenner era, how many MLB playoff teams have been from the top third and how many from the bottom third?

"4 of 8" sounds selective and intentionally misleading to make a point. Come on inspector, you're better than that.

Stretch19

Grow up
clearly the teams willing to spend the most money have a better shot of success, i agree 100% with that point you are making

same thing is going to carry over to any other sport or simply life in general though, thats no surprise

college athletics with no salaries are the same thing, what schools have the biggest stadiums? the nicest facilities? spend the most money on coaches, etc...those are going to be the best schools year in and year out as well

3XC

Big Truss
3 of the last 8 MLB champions have had payrolls 10th or lower
1 out of 2 of my last breakfasts have been chili. Stop cherrypicking.

How many teams from the MLB salary basement win consistently? How many of the payroll leaders post losing records year over year? The playoffs is arbitrary, picking only "champions" and narrowing the sample size to get a result you like is some scumbag ****.

Stretch19

Grow up
1 out of 2 of my last breakfasts have been chili. Stop cherrypicking.

How many teams from the MLB salary basement win consistently? How many of the payroll leaders post losing records year over year? The playoffs is arbitrary, picking only "champions" and narrowing the sample size to get a result you like is some scumbag ****.

wasnt the title of this thread as well as the point you were making about championships though?

didnt you just clarify that for us? didnt you come up with the 'half dozen' number of teams?

3XC

Big Truss
clearly the teams willing to spend the most money have a better shot of success, i agree 100% with that point you are making

same thing is going to carry over to any other sport or simply life in general though, thats no surprise

college athletics with no salaries are the same thing, what schools have the biggest stadiums? the nicest facilities? spend the most money on coaches, etc...those are going to be the best schools year in and year out as well
The difference is when I say the NCAA is a ****ing scam people don't want to argue with me ad nauseam and fall on their sword to defend it. Its transparently corrupt and manipulative.

I say the MLB system is rigged and uncompetitive and some Yankees dip**** rises out of the ground to argue with me about drafting Jeter in 1779.

3XC

Big Truss
wasnt the title of this thread as well as the point you were making about championships though?

didnt you just clarify that for us? didnt you come up with the 'half dozen' number of teams?
Ok then you pedant: How many teams that miss the postseason win the World Series? Show your work.

Stretch19

Grow up
i think we all agree that the teams who spend the most money in baseball have the best chance of winning, year in and year out

thats a given i just kind of figured that everyone who is hear was smart enough to have already known

who has said otherwise?

ntz

tricknollegy
no one has said otherwise, he just wants to argue that the same doesn't hold true for the nfl, which it does

Stretch19

Grow up
sure the mlb system is rigged, giving the teams who spend the most, the best opportunity to win a championship...but as you can see that **** doesnt always happen the way it "should"

like already mentioned the giants had the 2nd highest payroll in the league this year and were like 15 games under .500

brewers had the 22nd highest payroll and were a couple pitches away from the WS

5 out of the top 10 and 9 out of the top 15 payroll teams this year missed the playoffs

sure year after year the teams who spend the most will have a better shot than the teams who spend the least...we all get that

3XC

Big Truss
sure the mlb system is rigged, giving the teams who spend the most, the best opportunity to win a championship...but as you can see that **** doesnt always happen the way it "should"

like already mentioned the giants had the 2nd highest payroll in the league this year and were like 15 games under .500

brewers had the 22nd highest payroll and were a couple pitches away from the WS

5 out of the top 10 and 9 out of the top 15 payroll teams this year missed the playoffs

sure year after year the teams who spend the most will have a better shot than the teams who spend the least...we all get that
Giants had 60 million in DL/inactive on the payroll due to injuries.

You're cherrpicking some stats you like while ignoring a 25 year trend that is ongoing. And again, what NFL team has a payroll 30 times higher than another? Stop. Its a vast difference between one team spending 20% more than another in the NFL and an MLB team having a sub 30 million dollar payroll competing against a team with a 220 million dollar payroll.

What teams win in the NFL? The ones that are well coached, kill it in the draft, have a franchise QB, and get "hot" at the right time. This is not a one year thing, but the state of the league.

What teams win in MLB? The ones that buy wins. The existence of exceptions does not overcome the prevailing trend. Small market teams are uncompetitive most of the time, large market teams are uncompetitive very rarely.

3XC

Big Truss
I'd rather you guys just have a high stakes thumb war or something jesus
Stat boy can't run to google to save him and he's flailing around. Also stat boy won't actually post the spread between teams in the NFL, since its quite narrow compared to MLB, with 3-4 profligate spenders dropping 30 mil a season on one star FA and 3-4 cellar dwellers with sub 30 million dollar team payrolls.

Stretch19

Grow up
again, nobody is arguing the ****ing principle that the teams who spend more money have a better shot of winning

as stated several times before, thats not exactly a new concept or some kind of revelation on your part

Stretch19

Grow up
and i didnt cherry pick anything or ignore any trend...i told you why i used 8 years, cause the payroll list i used for the comparison only went back 8 years

how is that hard to grasp?

Stretch19

Grow up
Stat boy can't run to google to save him and he's flailing around. Also stat boy won't actually post the spread between teams in the NFL, since its quite narrow compared to MLB, with 3-4 profligate spenders dropping 30 mil a season on one star FA and 3-4 cellar dwellers with sub 30 million dollar team payrolls.

imagine that, the league with a salary cap has a more narrow spread in the highest/lowest payroll teams than the league that doesnt have a cap

****ing mind blown right now...clarence over here cracking divincis code; big things popping at SBF on a monday yall, watch out

3XC

Big Truss
So you agree or disagree with my core premise that an unbalanced, non competitive league sucks?

ntz

tricknollegy
since 1999 12 NFL teams have won the super bowl

11 MLB teams have won the world series

since 1999 5 teams have won the super bowl multiple times

4 MLB teams have won the world series multiple times

Stretch19

Grow up
So you agree or disagree with my core premise that an unbalanced, non competitive league sucks?

i dont agree with the fact that it sucks, no. i agree with the premise that it is unbalanced and non competitive, but no more so than in leagues with salary caps...relatively speaking anyways; there are really good teams and really bad teams in most all leagues, regardless the sport, level, etc

even with the huge disparity in payrolls, i still get enough of a Cinderella in baseball most years to enjoy pulling for an under dog

astros last year, brewers this year just for the most recent examples have been quite refreshing and enjoyable to watch

dunkky

this is the reason why A's accomplishment a while back was so great. they made to the final with a whole bunch of scrubs, didn't they? am i wrong? Their best player was Jason Giambi's little brother if i recall..

ntz

tricknollegy
nfl parity is a myth, one that rodger godell keeps pushing, it's simply not the case.