Need some swing help fellers

klu

on the mound

My issue right now is lack of power, and consistency. I feel that i am hitting hard, but liners right at 3rd base or the left fielder.

Pitch selection is improving, I'm thinking I'm stepping to late and not really getting my legs/hips thru as much as I should.

Thanks in advance!

Btw shout out to my pitcher brewcitydude25.

Last edited by a moderator:

Triple7

Addicted to Softballfans
It looks like you are gliding into the ball. I think with a little more push off of your Back foot would increase your power. But..... I only watch led about 2 mins lol

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
I don't see you striding to the ball very much or pushing in to it.......

Also, that thing you're doing with your hands prior to going to forward is making your swing too short.........You have no distance to built batspeed prior to impact. If it were me...I'd push my hands back closer near/over the back shoulder more to give you more distance to build speed. Right now, have the bat just a few inches from your neck as set to fire forward and that is resulting in you just about flicking your hands at the ball.....Rather than building up true, powerful speed.

klu

on the mound

Also, that thing you're doing with your hands prior to going to forward is making your swing too short.........You have no distance to built batspeed prior to impact. If it were me...I'd push my hands back closer near/over the back shoulder more to give you more distance to build speed. Right now, have the bat just a few inches from your neck as set to fire forward and that is resulting in you just about flicking your hands at the ball.....Rather than building up true, powerful speed.

So I should concentrate on hands back, and a better push into the ball with stride? Sounds about right...thanks.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
So I should concentrate on hands back, and a better push into the ball with stride? Sounds about right...thanks.

I would....One thing at a time to start with......Maybe take your stride with the new hand position and as you get that down and feel comfortable with it. Then work on a better push/stride to the ball.

klu

on the mound
Thanks out-cast. Def Been working on pitch selection, Bp is tough to hold off on some but practice like u play right A big problem of mine since the little league days.... Not many pitches look bad to me :)

Last edited:

kg2421

Coach
hands too high and not back far enough, way to much bat movement prior to pitch is preventing you from staying consistent, and most of the swings you were gliding not driving into the ball

klu

on the mound
does my "baseball" back elbow (keeping it shoulder level) cause my hands to be to far forward? i was paging through some major player vids and they start with their hands low then load back n fire if that makes sense

Madbeers

Boss Awesomesauce
Swing hit the nail on the head. Stride into the ball and hands back. That will give you a lot more momentum into the ball. Looks good though.

klu

on the mound
Thanks beersy

power/consistency is what is keeping me from getting on some c level teams

moorerm04

Addicted to Softballfans
As others have touched on stride, and maybe sit back on the pitch a little more... I know when I am out in front it causes me to cast and roll over on the ball. I end up loosing a lot of power and worm burning grounders that are easy to field.

klu

on the mound
Waiting back is a good tip. I was watching the vid again and noticed the better balls I hit were on balls I didn't reach out n get . Casting use to be a problem but bc of Dish I corrected that. Rolling over my wrists becomes more evident when i get tired

Try putting the elbows down. Softball swing is not like a baseball one. Elbows in, tuck them in, hands back as far as possible. You are trying to provide your own power. If you're having issues with stride, get your feet closer together and wait to push off hard with the right leg.

Salamander

Manager
Your swing looks good, you should work on going to right field (let the pitch get deep) no matter where the pitch is inside or out. I find when I do this it helps me stay balanced and keeps me from getting out in front of the ball when trying to turn on one. I notice a lot of guys that pop up/ groundout are way out on there front foot reaching for the ball or slowing thier swing down through the zone because thier timing is off.

strength

Extra Hitter

I was going to say the exact same thing. You are way to big of a guy to have issues with power. You are absolutely just slapping at the ball. Your swing plane is way to short, you are not coiling at all. You are just throwing your hands at the ball. Stop with all the bat dancing before your swing.

klu

on the mound
So @ start of swing, "coil" hands back then go. This seems to make sense, also will give me a better drive at ball bc ill have to wait on it

superfonzie

MILE HI HEEL'Billy
my humble opinion is the same as others, too much bat dancing and no stride, or coil n go... you seem to hit the ball well but you seem to be on your back foot after you swing or off balance falling away from the pitcher, i would say that you wanna transfer your weight similar to a golf swing so that after you have made contact that you should be out on your left side or left foot for maximum transfer or momentum, try keeping the hands back and up and tap the bat on your right shoulder as a "timing mechanism", been at this game a long time and at least u are willing to try something new which will eventually pay off for you. Try to hit back up the middle also to right, its a ***** to learn which pitch to do that with but it will definitely make you a better hitter, which i think is what you are after, like the guys said quieter hands and up ...more aggressive swing, get angry.... but knowing you wanna be a better hitter is half the battle, go to usssa.com, slow pitch, streaming video, and choose some major games, hr derbies or watch on utube and see how the Big Boys swing and see if there is anything you see in their swing you can learn from, i been doin that for years, and last but not LEAST.... pitch selection and patience... take some walks when they come along...try to figure out what pitch you hit the best, hi or low in or out and wait for a good pitch, seems a bit of a rant but you asked for it.

Super

rmeeks8137

Addicted to Softballfans
da5f8f117ba7c344b8d12be910634d7c.jpg

garb1329

Star Player
To me, it looks like you're DRIFTING.. instead of loading your weight or shifting your weight at the right time, your lower half is ahead of your hands and everything is trying to catch up. This is probably why you are inconsistent. Your hand are really fast which makes up for it at times and you crush the ball.. My suggestion would be to concentrate on hitting to right field in BP and tee work to right field.. This will force you to focus on timing.. or you could add a small leg kick or tap on your front foot to keep your weight back.. just my thoughts. GL