New to Slowpitch Softball

Scotth36

Hi. I'm new to the slowpitch softball world. I just retired from baseball. I played baseball in the minor leagues then played in men's league baseball but just retired in October. A guy I work with has been buggin me to play softball and I finally caved. The only tough part is I need to find a good bat. I played a couple games about 15 yrs ago and used a guys Miken Freak so I bought it but then found out when I showed up to our first game and we have to have a Non-composite, only single wall, one piece, ASA approved. What is the best bat for this league? Can anyone suggest some good bats? I appreciate it.

Last edited:

smoke

50AAA USA National Champs
What ball are you using?? That will make a big difference as to which bat to use
SMOKE

ShortYellowBus

As suggested previously, I’d personally go with the 2018 Easton Ronin ATAC alloy 1 piece, 28oz if you're a strong hitter.

Also, lose the baseball glove. Get a glove that works with a 12" softball.

You'll think of me when you find yourself dropping balls out there.

Scotth36

As suggested previously, I’d personally go with the 2018 Easton Ronin ATAC alloy 1 piece, 28oz if you're a strong hitter.

Also, lose the baseball glove. Get a glove that works with a 12" softball.

You'll think of me when you find yourself dropping balls out there.

Thanks. Yes, I hit quite a few home runs in our wood bat baseball league this year. I appreciate it.
That will be the next thing I need to get. My 13" 1st baseman's glove and my 12.5" outfielders glove is a little too small.

dunkky

I don't know how old u are, if u have minor league background, u should look into a possibility of playing in very high level. Beer leagues are for guy like me. Lol

amace04

Thanks. Yes, I hit quite a few home runs in our wood bat baseball league this year. I appreciate it.
That will be the next thing I need to get. My 13" 1st baseman's glove and my 12.5" outfielders glove is a little too small.
If you can catch a baseball in higher levels I'm sure you can play just fine with a 12.5". I used a 12.5" baseball glove in the outfield for years and just switched to a 13" baseball glove. I wouldnt go any smaller than 12" though, even if you play infield. No need to go pick up a 14" or anything like that.

amace04

I'm a lefty so pretty much 1st baseman, outfielder.
I'd try roll with your 12.5" if that's what you're comfortable, change if necessary. Again, if you played minor ball im sure you know how to track a ball, that's 90% of what playing good outfield is. Any idiot can catch a ball hit right to them. Might be a slight adjustment period, but that's what practice is for.

ShortYellowBus

L9 is a good and durable bat, but the newer Easton stuff is better. I don’t think it’s that much worse though, so it’s okay to start with the L9. It’ll be easy to sell and upgrade if it doesn’t work out.

Nanotek is fantastic. Great suggestion by whoever suggested it. The annoying part of the Anderson NanoTek SP Launch Pad is that it’s definitely not an ASA bat.

Just avoid the mega cheap Anderson Nanotek bats and you won’t be disappointed.

-edited for clarification

Last edited:

Scotth36

L9 is a good and durable bat, but the newer Easton stuff is better. I don’t think it’s that much worse though, so start with the L9.

Nanotek is fantastic. Great suggestion by whoever suggested it. The annoying part of the Anderson is that it’s definitely not an ASA bat.

Just avoid the mega cheap bats and you won’t be disappointed.
So you think the newer Easton Raw Power bats are better than the one he suggested? I played a double header yesterday and half of the opposing team was using an Anderson bat. It is an ASA league. I asked a guy what bat it was and he said Anderson. I asked which Anderson and he said he didn't know.

ShortYellowBus

So you think the newer Easton Raw Power bats are better than the one he suggested? I played a double header yesterday and half of the opposing team was using an Anderson bat. It is an ASA league. I asked a guy what bat it was and he said Anderson. I asked which Anderson and he said he didn't know.
Anderson bats are all tremendously good. Get one that’s approved by your league and make sure it’s not dented or wavy. That’s the trick.

Not the Raw Power bats, I recommend the Ronins.

Especially the 2018 Ronin ATAC 1 piece.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
L9 and nanotechs are harder to find, nanos were made in an asa and utrip version.. good luck finding any of those..

Hiltz

Built for comfort
No composite, only single wall, one piece, ASA approved.

I played a double header yesterday and half of the opposing team was using an Anderson bat. It is an ASA league. I asked a guy what bat it was and he said Anderson. I asked which Anderson and he said he didn't know.

Had to have been a Nanotech (hard to find, as mentioned), a Flex, or a Pyrotech. Flex and Pyrotech are decent but with singlewalls there honestly isn't much of a difference between old bats and new, high-end models.

I'd just look around for a cheap used alloy with an ASA stamp. I've tried a bunch of newer bats and my $15 early 2000's TPS Powerdome still outhits everything.

sleepin4matty

Management Material
L9 is a good and durable bat, but the newer Easton stuff is better. I don’t think it’s that much worse though, so start with the L9.

Nanotek is fantastic. Great suggestion by whoever suggested it. The annoying part of the Anderson is that it’s definitely not an ASA bat.

Just avoid the mega cheap bats and you won’t be disappointed.
Ignore him, the Nanotek is an ASA bat, just make sure you get the Nanotek SPA (ASA model) and not just the Nanotek SP (utrip only)

You can search for singlewalls in this section: http://forums.softballfans.com/forums/non-composites.107/

Last edited:

Scotth36

Ignore him, the Nanotek is an ASA bat, just make sure you get the Nanotek SPA (ASA model) and not just the Nanotek SP (utrip only)
Thanks, I appreciate it. So do you feel the best non-composite, single wall, one piece bat is the Anderson NanoTek SPA? I was reading on one of the other forums someone did a study and the Evil Sports Prototype was the best but I can't seem to find any information on that bat.

BTW300

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks, I appreciate it. So do you feel the best non-composite, single wall, one piece bat is the Anderson NanoTek SPA? I was reading on one of the other forums someone did a study and the Evil Sports Prototype was the best but I can't seem to find any information on that bat.

The Evil Prototype never made it into production.

Party mafia

Can you use the demarini corn dog bat? It is a wood bat, and with your baseball background, instead of hitting single, you will be hitting doubles, triples and maybe home runs with the wood bat.

blakcherry329

Whatever you get, it should be at least a 28. Endloaded, if possible. Anything less will probably feel way too light.

east bay j

The Polish Hammer
FYI -To clear things up, Anderson made 4 different Nanoteks:

SP (11026) - one piece singlewall, not ASA approved, slight end-load
SPA (11027) - one piece singlewall, ASA approved, very balanced
SP Alpha (11030) - 2-piece singlewall, ASA approved, composite handle, singlewall balanced barrel
SP Omega (11031) - 2-piece singlewall, ASA approved, composite handle, singlewall endloaded barrel
All of these bats are extremely hard to find.

*Demarini Steels are all 2-piece bats including the new Steel (steel handle), older Raw Steel (steel handle), & White Steel (composite handle)
*The Corndog, technically speaking, would not be allowed since it is a 2-piece bat (composite handle, wood barrel)
*The Evil Protoype singlewall was kick-ass. Felt like a very endloaded Ultimate Weapon with smaller Anderson type knob. Too bad these never went into production
* Be careful when buying an Easton Salvo Scandium or Ronin as Easton does a terrible job of distinguishing bat characteristics within their line-up (I.E. the "Ronin" name includes the Ronin flex which is a composite bat and a Ronin ATAC Allloy which is the singlewall)
**Those 44/375 softballs will basically eat up any singlewall bat. If you are a heavy swinger be prepared to go thru them fairly quickly, especially the Ultimate Weapons, & Eastons. The Andersons will give you the best durability.

I would rate one-piece singlewall ASA approved bats as follows (just my two-cents):

#1 - Anderson Nanotek SPA (good durability, small sweet spot but when find it the ball goes far, balanced) - hard to find
#2 - Rip It REAP5 (best durability of all 1-piece singlewalls, good pop but not a lotta feedback, endloaded) - hard to find
#3 - Easton Salvo Scandium/L9 (average durability, good pop, very endloaded) - not produced anymore but can be found
#4 - Demarini Ultimate Weapon (poor durability, good pop, cheap, balanced ) - easy to find (new ones go for about $140, older ones <$100)
#5 - Anderson Flex 2018+ (do not buy any pre-2018 models, very durable, ok pop, balanced) - easy to find, still produced
#6 - Old school metal such as Ritch's Superior, TPS Powerdomes, Anderson Flextech/Pyrotech/KSP -harder to find
#7 - Easton Ronin ATAC Alloy (average durability, ok sweet spot, balanced) - easy to find (this bat just did not work for my swing)

Hope this helps
JJ

dunkky

I may sound like an ignorant, I say cut this nonsense of single wall, double wall and go straight to at least A team and swing those hot utrip/asa bats and destroy those hard balls. I have faith in you man. In no time, you will make adjustments of 13 mile/hour what they call knuckle balls. Now is the time isn't it? all those conference teams are looking for fresh young talents during off season. go for it man, talk to harvey or helmmer or somebody. when you make it and they start to produce bats with your name on, don't forget about us with huge discount. lol