nfl off season and draft thread

Primo

fat and famous pablo
People can smell mannings body breaking down and they're salivating at the mere thoght of licking the marrow allieviating his pores....they've gotten their ass kicked for years and now they want revenge

The water is so dirty

Stretch19

Grow up
Indys passing offense vs. Houstons pass rush will be a tasty burrito indeed.

Nobody is talking about the Redskins signing Pot Roast but thats a top 1 nickname.

great nickname for sure...im excited about the signing but in the grand scheme of things it doesnt help the o line or the qb situation so therefore skins will continue to be a **** show

Morris 14

You could be a browns fan. I'd say after another sucky year this year, Haden, Thomas, and Mack will all want out.

Stretch19

Grow up
very true...as miserable as the skins have been for basically my entire lifetime, i did get to see them win a ring

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
Is this the edge of the tidal change? Opening the door for giving those that may have been on the fence but stuck around cuz they didn't want to appear like a sissy a reason to bail out.

We were already seeing a shift in youth football. Unless someone comes out with some revolutionary helmet the talent pool is going to shrink. We have former stars of the game publicly saying they don't want their kids to play. It will be interesting to see how the NFL handles it. They seem to have a too big to fail attitude.

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
We were already seeing a shift in youth football. Unless someone comes out with some revolutionary helmet the talent pool is going to shrink. We have former stars of the game publicly saying they don't want their kids to play. It will be interesting to see how the NFL handles it. They seem to have a too big to fail attitude.

So what you are telling me is that they are ****ed.

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
So what you are telling me is that they are ****ed.

Publicly they seem to be taking a head in the sand approach. Look at how poor the quarterback play is in the league right now. How is that going to look if football has half the talent pool 10-20 years from now? At least hockey, basketball, and baseball are somewhat worldwide sports. How much youth football exists outside of the US and Canada?

Roger couldn't even handle the Ray Rice scandal. How is he going to handle more promising players retiring in their 20s?

Last edited:

Onefiver

Addicted to Softballfans
One young guy does not a trend make.

College FB hasn't been bigger. The NFL hasn't been bigger. Both are trending up.

It is not players deciding to voluntarily, or even involuntarily, quit that is the risk. It's lawyers and lawsuits.

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.

College FB hasn't been bigger. The NFL hasn't been bigger. Both are trending up.

It is not players deciding to voluntarily, or even involuntarily, quit that is the risk. It's lawyers and lawsuits.

I'm not talking about the NFL right at the moment or one single player retiring. I'm talking about the possibility of a shrinking talent pool and how that will affect the NFL years down the road. I could be way off and would like to be wrong.

rossthefireman

mexicola

I'm not talking about the NFL right at the moment or one single player retiring. I'm talking about the possibility of a shrinking talent pool and how that will affect the NFL years down the road. I could be way off and would like to be wrong.

It could mirror boxings downfall.
Many parents arent letting their kids play football anymore, but you wont see that translate at the college/pro level for years to come. Rinse and repeat and 20 years from now the talent pool has shrunk. 30 years from now its the poor kids playing football because its the only way out. The middle class (mostly white) kids have moved on to la crosse or other sports not football.
The NFLs PR machine was already going full blast with 'The NFL is safer blah blah blah' as soon as Borlands story hit. The evidence suggests otherwise.
In 30 years, the NFL could be like boxing is now. Its still around but it doesnt matter much.
I could be way off also but youth football is trending down every year and thats more than just a coincidence.

Onefiver

Addicted to Softballfans
We'll see. In addition to the sport being as big as ever, with 24-7 sports news and social media, talented kids are becoming mini-celebrities in their mid-teens. I can tell you that a talented 4-star DL from Georia just shuffled his top-4 schools the other day....fingers crossed. Anyway, I gotta think all of that's pretty attractive to teh yoots. I guess parents could be the bottleneck, my mom wouldn't let me play, but more of them are fans than ever before.

Obviously, society changes - boxing, as mentioned, and baseball dont hold the spot they used to in American culture. With the changing demographics, I suppose soccer will be #1 eventually.

3XC

Big Truss
It could mirror boxings downfall.
Many parents arent letting their kids play football anymore, but you wont see that translate at the college/pro level for years to come. Rinse and repeat and 20 years from now the talent pool has shrunk. 30 years from now its the poor kids playing football because its the only way out. The middle class (mostly white) kids have moved on to la crosse or other sports not football.
The NFLs PR machine was already going full blast with 'The NFL is safer blah blah blah' as soon as Borlands story hit. The evidence suggests otherwise.
In 30 years, the NFL could be like boxing is now. Its still around but it doesnt matter much.
I could be way off also but youth football is trending down every year and thats more than just a coincidence.

Boxing doesn't matter in the USA but boxings stars still get paychecks 30 times bigger than the biggest MMA purse ever.

The idea that the NFL will have unfillable 7 figure a year jobs is absurd. You'll still have the talent coming from Texas and the 7 on 7 leagues that already produced Matt Stafford and Nick Foles. Its basically flag football and its nothing but passing. You'll still have monstrous freaky Samoans and converted rugby guys from New Zealand who want to truck people and laugh at the thought of a concussion. You'll still have kids from desperate poverty who lift their whole extended family from the gutter to prosperity on a single NFL contract.

Demonization of concussions is nothing but a cash grab from rapacious lawyers. The thing about 11 figure businesses though is that they tend to have better lawyers than anyone else. Except 12 figure businesses.

Primo

fat and famous pablo
Fro, the qb play is down right now??? Don't we have like half a dozen hof's, several who could get in and a young crop with several potential stars?

3XC

Big Truss
Head to head, I'll put todays top 5 QBs against any eras top 5 QBs. Also, our 6-10 are better as well. Rivers/Roethlisberger/Eli/Flacco/Ryan are better than Cunningham/Kreig/Kosar/Simms/Mitchell by a landslide.

Not only are the very best of today just more talented, but the "good enough" QBs are more talented. I give an exception to Unitas though, throwing 30 TDs in the 50s is like throwing 60 in 2015. If we put Brady or Rodgers in 1958 and told him to go play I doubt he'd even finish the season with 1958 doctors and 1958 training and 1958 rules.

Primo

fat and famous pablo
Favre, elway, aikman, young, Marino

Damn....that ain't bad though

Jeff George lead the nfl in passing yds, 2nd in Tds and was 4th in qb ratif in 97 for Oakland......i dot even remember that

3XC

Big Truss
Favre, elway, aikman, young, Marino

Damn....that ain't bad though

Jeff George lead the nfl in passing yds, 2nd in Tds and was 4th in qb ratif in 97 for Oakland......i dot even remember that

Outlier season. Like the year Beuerlein killed it in Carolina. Or the Derek Anderson Pro Bowl season in Cleveland. Or everything related to Daunte Culpepper.

Aikman ain't **** either man. Talk about a system QB. Keep Favre, Elway, Young, and Marino, and add Jim Kelly. Spinning the ball into the wind in Buffalo with anything resembling accuracy wasn't done before and hasn't been done since.

Stretch19

Grow up
he did all that while going 4-12 that season for oakland

he also lead the league in mullet/stache combo earlier in his career with indy...that **** is luxurious

jeff-george1.jpg

3XC

Big Truss
It still makes me wonder how a league with 4098309873 kajillion dollars still had vinyl stick-on numbered jerseys well into the 1980s. Like, the crap they sell at Ross now, the flimsy mesh and made-to-a-price-point iron on numbers, that was worn in NFL games by players.

Stretch19

Grow up
one day when i truly give zero ****s...im going to lop off my side burns and go with the straight over the ear edge up

Primo

fat and famous pablo
I don't know how good or bad aikman was. You could be 100% correct...we didnt know how great Ben was until well i to how career.

Onefiver

Addicted to Softballfans
George had some physical talent - big arm in particular - so he got a lot of chances even though he was a stubborn ass

Jay Cutler is the same type of player

Primo

fat and famous pablo
They always compared him to cutler

I don't see it. Cutler sucks....he just throws hard. George had moments where he looked liek Rogers. Spin go the ball into windows which weren't there. I get why cutler sucks....hes not very good, he's not very accurate, his mechanics suck and he's a smug little homo. George's was all between the ears

3XC

Big Truss
I don't know how good or bad aikman was. You could be 100% correct...we didnt know how great Ben was until well i to how career.

Aikman was the QB on a super team with the best starting 5 O line as a whole in the NFL and a HOF WR, RB and all pro FB and TE, both of whom could block. ****, Emmitt could block. Have 8 guys block for me and let me throw the ball to Michael Irvin. I'd look great.

Troy Aikman still didn't put up big numbers because he was average in terms of ability. If you hate Alex Smith and Chad Pennington for being "ball custodians" and nothing more, you should probably start hating Aikman.

The best way to put a cherry on my argument is to say that he's a better booth guy than quarterback, and I'm not trying to be funny. He's a really underrated and good color commentator and a really overrated QB.

Onefiver

Addicted to Softballfans
I think the comparison comes from similarities: smug, not a leader, big arm, not improving substantially over time.

I bet Jason Whitlock is still campaigning for the league to give George another look.

3XC

Big Truss
Arm strength without decision making is not really all that useful. You can be pinpoint accurate and have a cannon but if your reads and anticipation are bad your ceiling is not very high. Fantasy football players will always love the 5000 yard/20 interception guys like Stat Padford, but in real life they don't win* and 32 out of 32 NFL GMs will take Russell Wilson and his 3000 yards instead.

*Brett Favre won a superbowl somehow, proving every word of this wrong.