Nww Freak 30 comes in 24 oz... thoughts?

dtrotd

Coach
^^^
Swing what you wanna swing clown and let others swing what they want!!!
You're a big strong man cause you swing a 30oz
Seriously it's not a **** measuring contest!!!

gti44

Addicted to Softballfans
^^^
Swing what you wanna swing clown and let others swing what they want!!!
You're a big strong man cause you swing a 30oz
Seriously it's not a **** measuring contest!!!

Its about swinging the heaviest possible bat that you can maintain your max swing speed. Its not about being a **** measuring contest either...but if it was your gf/wife would win. She has 11", my 8" and your 3"!! And you thought you were the one making her smile...sorrynotsorry!

Tictac020

Addicted to BP
Ok......they are making these bats in 24oz for the demand of weights for some women.
The speed at which u swing the bat, as well as the weight of the bat, totally affects distance.
I hit a ball with a 26oz bat at lets say 85mph. Then I hit a ball with a 27oz bat at 87mph. The 87mph bbs and 27oz will actually go 5-10ft more. So yes, a simple 1 or 2mph increase in bat speed totally affects the variables at which we all desire!? Ofcourse 1oz less of a bat may help u accurately hit the ball exactly where u want to, and achieve greater backspin, topspin, and that may give u 10ft further with lets say a less junk in the trunk bat. It does come back to moment of inertia tho. More weight, same speed, worse collision. Don't get confused with these 24oz bats and stuff. They are to attract the coed and women crowd. I say unless u are 150lbs and weak as all get out, swing atleast a 26oz bat! There is a reason they are making bats 26-28oz's.....those are the most popular and people are getting the most performance out of those weights. Back in the a log was great to swing, then u wanted a trampoline effect more with the harder balls and a log were good with those sometimes as well.....but nowadays the technology and performance has been fine tuned with these bats, that 26oz,27,28 are getting everything they need. JMO tho.....Gon' Do WHATEVER THE FU*KKKKKKKKK you wanna do anyway...

dtrotd

Coach
Its about swinging the heaviest possible bat that you can maintain your max swing speed. Its not about being a **** measuring contest either...but if it was your gf/wife would win. She has 11", my 8" and your 3"!! And you thought you were the one making her smile...sorrynotsorry!

This post proves you're a clown!!!
But you swing a 30oz so you're the man!!!

laramie55

Addicted to Softballfans
Thread title caught my attention because I wanted to see if there were indeed instances where an 'ultralight' bat was of any benefit. I was surprised that 33 posts in, no one had broke it down to the facts based on real and readily available data (Google 'bat speed research') until post 34 by Tictac020. Well done, though in the last sentence he says it's "JMO" and while he may have learned this on his own and used "JMO" for that reason, he has plenty of company. It's confirmed in every study of bat speed vs mass ever done. There are NO studies with contrary data by anyone. Before all the studies came out, I answered a tiny ad from a start up custom aluminum bat maker and spent an illuminating 30 mins. talking it's sole employee/owner, Ray Demarini. He was making his bats, one at a time, (in his garage I think he said) and you would call him and tell him how you wanted. Ray, wouldn't just take your order, though, he would tell you what you should want in a bat and why. We agreed on every aspect of bat construction, from the knob to the end cap, until we got to weight. I was a bat/mass guy who had been using a 38oz Easton. Ray explained that IF you could swing a 38oz bat at the same speed as a 26oz (you can't, btw), then yes, a 38oz would hit a ball further, since that's impossible, bat speed trumps mass, up to a point. All those studies, done years later, proved Ray was correct. I don't know if he was first in this regard, but he certainly was one of the first. When I said, up to a point, I mean that there is a max. bat weight that each person must find for themselves where he/she can generate optimal results. Bat speed is the single most important factor but it can't be assessed in a vacuum, as you also need mass. Do you think you can hit a ball for any distance with a hollow bamboo stick swung at 100 mph? So, you must sacrifice a small fraction of your bat speed to add mass until you find your ideal combination. Another factor, as mentioned above, is that to resist bat deflection at impact with a lighter bat you need strong wrists (again, think bamboo stick). All the above assumes you have good mechanics. No bat will correct poor mechanics. When Ray convinced me to drop down in weight from my 38oz to a 28ox (he really wanted me to go all the way to a 26oz) it temporarily screwed up my mechanics as my shoulders got out in front of my hips till I adjusted. We all change over time and now at 60 I wanted to reassess what is optimal for me, so I bought two bats of the same model, one at 26oz, the other a 30oz. At this point in time, I drive the ball at higher BBS with the 30oz, the added mass compensated for the (minimally) slower bat speed and a slight loss of wrist strength that occurred somewhere between 55 and 60 (nothing you can do about arthritis). The 26oz had greater deflection at impact so less BBS and therefore less distance. But I wasn't satisfied with that as the final word on it, so I bought a third identical model bat at 28oz and that was the 'sweet spot' in the speed/mass combination for me at this time. (I found the other two bats nice homes in case you were worried.) If you want to really know the answer then find out for yourself by putting in the work. No one else can give it to you. So what if you have to buy three bats to find the one. Take your time as you have to get used to the different weights anyway, (however many swings that takes) till you know you have maxx'ed out that model and weight. Then go up or down in weight and do it again. Keep the best, sell the rest. Heck, I actually came out slightly ahead because the guys watching me hit with 'em knew the bats were not duds but also, like many, fall into trap of conflating 'wand' with 'wizard', "Oooh, can I try your bat?". Finally, when adding weight to your bat, add it where it does the most good, at the end of the barrel. I know the argument for using a balanced bat, "I have better control!", but unless you're truly feeble, an end load has higher MOI (remember, you're going to look it up,?) therefore resists deflection, resulting in higher BBS and distance. That's a benefit even if you are a 'Punch and Judy' hitter (that's not a knock, I'm a fan, love seeing you guys on base when I get up) At least try dropping down an oz in total weight and adding at least an half oz back (Miken's "Maxload" designation) as end loading. Which reminds me that I need to get a hold of an 'Ultramax' with the 1.5oz EL. I'm loving the 'Supermax' 1oz EL but another half oz at the end? Gotta test it out. I don't post often because I come here to learn from you guys about product experiences, particularly gloves and bats. (Thank you to Vinci thread and you Miken guys who pointed me at the 2014 DC-41. I never get tired of oppos screaming, "Check the bat ump!") This is a passion I have studied my whole life (well, since I was 10) and an opportunity to contribute.

laramie55

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks uniballer, the speed I type at, what took two minutes to read took me 30 mins. to type. Glad you thought it worthwhile.

Ballisttic

Star Player
Will they be making a 30oz?

Yes it will only be for real men and all others will not get an option to buy one and will be stuck with 28oz max. All real men will get a phone call or an email.

Did you get a notification yet? I believe all notifications have been sent.

Cappy

Manager
Well, I actually went out and bought a Freak 12 24oz, since I posed the original question.

Thanks to white_gt who said his wife has one and he has no problem hitting 300+. It was great incentive to give it a try.

At first I loved the bat but wasn't sure about it because of a nagging trap and lat injuries stemming from a relaxed starting position to a full out 100% swing. I am trying to emulate Denny Crine's swing and I have never hit the ball farther... but it comes at a cost... pain.

Well, I am healing and have only hit in Dome ball (mush) and today in the cage with hot dots. The bat is fantastic. The lighter weight and less inertia from the bats relaxed starting position makes it hurt less and my swing is very fast and the ball goes far consistently and easily. The only down side and it might be because I'm not used to a 12" barrel is that when you miss hit with the 24oz it kills the forearms.

I do a lot of cage work and took time off to heal before returning today and my batting coach at Baseline Sports really likes how far I have come along over the last 2 years. He was impressed with the bat as well and said he might pick one up. :)

Tictac020

Addicted to BP
Hey, thanks for agreeing and going more into depth there Laramie! Sorry about the arthritis too. Stupid stuff. Ha

Krush411

Manager
Thread title caught my attention because I wanted to see if there were indeed instances where an 'ultralight' bat was of any benefit. I was surprised that 33 posts in, no one had broke it down to the facts based on real and readily available data (Google 'bat speed research') until post 34 by Tictac020. Well done, though in the last sentence he says it's "JMO" and while he may have learned this on his own and used "JMO" for that reason, he has plenty of company. It's confirmed in every study of bat speed vs mass ever done. There are NO studies with contrary data by anyone. Before all the studies came out, I answered a tiny ad from a start up custom aluminum bat maker and spent an illuminating 30 mins. talking it's sole employee/owner, Ray Demarini. He was making his bats, one at a time, (in his garage I think he said) and you would call him and tell him how you wanted. Ray, wouldn't just take your order, though, he would tell you what you should want in a bat and why. We agreed on every aspect of bat construction, from the knob to the end cap, until we got to weight. I was a bat/mass guy who had been using a 38oz Easton. Ray explained that IF you could swing a 38oz bat at the same speed as a 26oz (you can't, btw), then yes, a 38oz would hit a ball further, since that's impossible, bat speed trumps mass, up to a point. All those studies, done years later, proved Ray was correct. I don't know if he was first in this regard, but he certainly was one of the first. When I said, up to a point, I mean that there is a max. bat weight that each person must find for themselves where he/she can generate optimal results. Bat speed is the single most important factor but it can't be assessed in a vacuum, as you also need mass. Do you think you can hit a ball for any distance with a hollow bamboo stick swung at 100 mph? So, you must sacrifice a small fraction of your bat speed to add mass until you find your ideal combination. Another factor, as mentioned above, is that to resist bat deflection at impact with a lighter bat you need strong wrists (again, think bamboo stick). All the above assumes you have good mechanics. No bat will correct poor mechanics. When Ray convinced me to drop down in weight from my 38oz to a 28ox (he really wanted me to go all the way to a 26oz) it temporarily screwed up my mechanics as my shoulders got out in front of my hips till I adjusted. We all change over time and now at 60 I wanted to reassess what is optimal for me, so I bought two bats of the same model, one at 26oz, the other a 30oz. At this point in time, I drive the ball at higher BBS with the 30oz, the added mass compensated for the (minimally) slower bat speed and a slight loss of wrist strength that occurred somewhere between 55 and 60 (nothing you can do about arthritis). The 26oz had greater deflection at impact so less BBS and therefore less distance. But I wasn't satisfied with that as the final word on it, so I bought a third identical model bat at 28oz and that was the 'sweet spot' in the speed/mass combination for me at this time. (I found the other two bats nice homes in case you were worried.) If you want to really know the answer then find out for yourself by putting in the work. No one else can give it to you. So what if you have to buy three bats to find the one. Take your time as you have to get used to the different weights anyway, (however many swings that takes) till you know you have maxx'ed out that model and weight. Then go up or down in weight and do it again. Keep the best, sell the rest. Heck, I actually came out slightly ahead because the guys watching me hit with 'em knew the bats were not duds but also, like many, fall into trap of conflating 'wand' with 'wizard', "Oooh, can I try your bat?". Finally, when adding weight to your bat, add it where it does the most good, at the end of the barrel. I know the argument for using a balanced bat, "I have better control!", but unless you're truly feeble, an end load has higher MOI (remember, you're going to look it up,?) therefore resists deflection, resulting in higher BBS and distance. That's a benefit even if you are a 'Punch and Judy' hitter (that's not a knock, I'm a fan, love seeing you guys on base when I get up) At least try dropping down an oz in total weight and adding at least an half oz back (Miken's "Maxload" designation) as end loading. Which reminds me that I need to get a hold of an 'Ultramax' with the 1.5oz EL. I'm loving the 'Supermax' 1oz EL but another half oz at the end? Gotta test it out. I don't post often because I come here to learn from you guys about product experiences, particularly gloves and bats. (Thank you to Vinci thread and you Miken guys who pointed me at the 2014 DC-41. I never get tired of oppos screaming, "Check the bat ump!") This is a passion I have studied my whole life (well, since I was 10) and an opportunity to contribute.

Bump to give props to this awesome post. Saw a youtube video w/Ray DeMarini last night and that dudes passion for the game was awesome.

jhitman

I have a 24oz...love it...im 5'11 195...to be honest it doesn't feel too light to me...

Do you feel like you lose distance like some others have suggested? I use a 27 ounce bat and was thinking of dropping down to attain more bat speed. I'm about your size 5' 11" and 190.

Thanks.

airculpeper

Addicted to Softballfans
Do you feel like you lose distance like some others have suggested? I use a 27 ounce bat and was thinking of dropping down to attain more bat speed. I'm about your size 5' 11" and 190.

Thanks.
No not at all. We play with a 320 foot fence and I have hit several way out.

jhitman

No not at all. We play with a 320 foot fence and I have hit several way out.

My buddy just picked up a 25 ounce EST (balanced). He is going to hit it this weekend and I will put some swings on it as well. Just curious about the bat speed increase for me as it's 2 ounces less.

Krush411

Manager
My buddy just picked up a 25 ounce EST (balanced). He is going to hit it this weekend and I will put some swings on it as well. Just curious about the bat speed increase for me as it's 2 ounces less.

How did it go for you with the 25? I used a 25 EST comp and 25.5 Melon today and the distance was awesome.

jhitman

How did it go for you with the 25? I used a 25 EST comp and 25.5 Melon today and the distance was awesome.

I did swing it and it was just okay, but a real nice bat. I definitely felt I had more bat speed but because of the lightness of the bat I wasn't hitting it as far as my 27 ounce. I guess there wasn't enough mass behind it. I have the Freak30 in 27 ounces and it hits the 52's really well. Got into a league on Fridays that they use Tattoo 44 cor 375 comp softballs. Since it's under warranty figured I would swing the Freak30 with the 44's and if it breaks I can still get a new one. Let me tell you it crushed the 44's. So far no signs of cracks and the ball just jumps off of that bat.

Last edited:

baseman

in your face nancy grace
The girls on our team swing 28 and 30 oz. I found dropping to 28, for me, cost me distance and control. I was way out in front of the ball. Now to put some perspective. I'm 5'9'' 226# body builder type body. I grew up using 36 and 38 oz in modified so the drop to 30 was a hard adjustment then changing to slow pitch was another.

Krush411

Manager
The girls on our team swing 28 and 30 oz. I found dropping to 28, for me, cost me distance and control. I was way out in front of the ball. Now to put some perspective. I'm 5'9'' 226# body builder type body. I grew up using 36 and 38 oz in modified so the drop to 30 was a hard adjustment then changing to slow pitch was another.

I think body build/weight has a lot to do with it. Look up the FlowBros bat reviews on YouTube-those guys crush the ball and they usually use 24 or 25 oz bats. They are smaller dudes, like under 170 probably.

I'm 180 now and to elaborate on a previous post, I used the 25.5 oz. Melon this weekend in BP at a field and the distance was really, really good out of the wrapper. I also used a 27 oz. Worth EST comp to compare and TBH the 25.5 oz Melon gave me the most distance.

If you make the switch to go lighter, it just comes down to timing. 24, 25 oz bats have enough mass to go 300+ feet no doubt. But you really have to get used to timing on them when you first make the switch. After you do, the results are awesome. The bat speed is ridiculous.

I'm 6'5", 230 and have swung my wife's 24oz bats a few times in games. Doesn't bother me at all. I had a 25oz Freak 30 and hit plenty of long homeruns with it. People just overthink things..

jhitman

I see some of the new 2018 bat lines are out and there are more 24 and 25 ounce bats. Do you think there is a demand for these lighter bats or are these bats more directed towards the girl softball players.