official relacing, web swap, etc knowledge thread

Joker

yes i know there are guys you can send it to that do it. this thread is about sharing knowledge for others that want to do it themselves

help out the novices that are doing it for the first time. things like what tools you need, what are the better supplies, that kind of stuff

you can also give your tips and tricks for guys that have done it before to help them do a better job

ok go

Joker

well i'd like to be able to know how to do basic glove work. i'm sure others would too. i figure a lot of it is trial and error and practice, but any tips or shortcuts would be helpful from those who have been doing it for a while

I did my first relace with a pair of kelly clamps and a lot of patience...after the first few times of following old lace with new lace I got the hang of the general patterns to follow. First starting out I would strongly recommend putting in new lace step by step as you remove the old lace. The relace tool you can get with the rawlings kit works, but the thread lock needle will save you time and headache.

Joker

figured buy one of those kits with the tools and the cheap lace, then take an old glove or a $10 one from walmart and practice

My wife has an old Franklin glove that I'm pretty sure isn't even real leather that I used to practice on. It sucked...like hardcore was way harder to replace than am actual glove, but I learned a lot from doing it.

BryonR41

Just finished my first relace with the malwork kit, seemed to work well. The lace wasn't very good tht came with the kit, I was suggest some Rawlings/tanners lace if its you're gamer glove. I replaced it by following the old lace.

I would like to know if there is any recommendations on what is the best place to start (I.e. fingers, web, palm, etc.)

I start with the palm and move to the heel. Do the fingers then the web and finish with the thumb and pinky. Seems to work best for me.

LineDriver5

Gloves > Bats
Get some questions going and we can try to help

I'll start by getting a "schematic" or whatever for how to fill all the holes going from basket/trap to h..

I'll post it as soon as I draw it, no promises when that will happen :D

chiefgator

Crafty Veteran
I have been doing gloves for several years. I am not a pro by any stretch, just a well practiced amateur.
Some general tips.

Tools needed:
The thread tool that you can get from most replacing kits
A threading needle. (I like the one that has threads in the end that I screw the leather into and then stitch away)
Needle nose
A leather awl
Cutters
For the last three, I have a leatherman tool I keep in my kit as it has all I need.

The only leather I use is from a leather shop. I never use anything from a sports store. You can get any color you want normally. I have an ample supply of Black and Tan in my kit, but I can get others.

I also have a tube of Nokona leather conditioner. It is basically Vaseline. I ALWAYS coat my lacing before I string it. It helps it slide for one thing and it also pretreated the part they would otherwise never get any conditioning.

glancy21

Starting Player
I have been doing gloves for several years. I am not a pro by any stretch, just a well practiced amateur.
Some general tips.

Tools needed:
The thread tool that you can get from most replacing kits
A threading needle. (I like the one that has threads in the end that I screw the leather into and then stitch away)
Needle nose
A leather awl
Cutters
For the last three, I have a leatherman tool I keep in my kit as it has all I need.

The only leather I use is from a leather shop. I never use anything from a sports store. You can get any color you want normally. I have an ample supply of Black and Tan in my kit, but I can get others.

I also have a tube of Nokona leather conditioner. It is basically Vaseline. I ALWAYS coat my lacing before I string it. It helps it slide for one thing and it also pretreated the part they would otherwise never get any conditioning.

Good stuff here

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
A 3" threaded needle works best for the palm (because you have to change directions in a confined space) and any time you are trying to use a shorter piece (like an 8" piece to do the button lap). But I use a 6" for everything else.

During the Nokona factory tour you see that they use giant blocks of wax that they run the lace over before lacing so I have used that to "lube up" the laces. I use candles that I found in the closet (3" tall with 3" diameter). I have not tried Vaseline to compare the two options.

I start with the fingers, then do the web, the palm, the heel and then the thumb and pinkie and button lap.

For me, the hardest part is always the top of the web (not the spiral, but the piece that runs through it). Make sure you really loosen up the spiral before trying to run a piece through the top. Yes, you could just take out the spiral piece first, but only if you have the experience to be able to relace it the way is was without doing one hole at a time.

Modified traps (the old-school lacing pattern with the finger and thumb spirals that the web lace loops around) will drive you insane the first time you try one. I got ONE loop in the web wrong and didn't notice it until I got to the top and had to back it all out... argggh!

baseballofp17

Addicted to Softballfans
I get all my leather from a tack store horses. Pretty cheap, good quality and they usually have a few options for colors

chiefgator

Crafty Veteran
Good stuff here

Thanx.
Something critical that I forgot to mention... Make sure you dress up the leather. Meaning, don't allow any twists as you relace it. It looks like crap and more importantly, it provides a weak spot.

Keep the finished edge of the lacing "out" when possible.

Good stuff. I will twist the lace inside the glove on the thumb and pinky to keep the finished edge out and I tried to twist to keep the finished edge out on the back of the fingers, but was told that the torque created by the ball will cause the lace to untwist and leave the unfinished edge on the x's side on the palm side of the glove.

Podo

"JewDoe"
I've said this before, but my first couple mod traps/traps I just went to the local sports store bought one. I used it as a reference then returned it. Now I got the hang of it, but sometimes I still pull a hole fill a hole too.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
On the thumb/pinkie, some, but not all mfgs twist the lace so the smooth side is out. However, on the backs of the fingers, I have had three Glovesmiths, two Vincis and a Rawlings HOH with the rough side exposed, but my Nokonas have the smooth side out there. I really don't think it matters beyond aesthetics.

DIRTY 30

I never "lube" up lace. It darkens them, which not everyone wants. It's really not hard to pull lace through the holes...and I swing a 26oz bat.

Rough side always out on the backs of the fingers.

Melted beeswax if your adhesive has dried up between the palm and liner.

I have a pretty sweet method of getting additional padding up the finger stalls. If anyone ever has the need, I'll make a how to.

Use a mallet on the 6 loops on the palm hinge, the inner pinky and thumb loops, and anywhere else to avoid arches.

If you want to be put in a mental institution, lace one of these:

DSC08060.jpg

DSC08071.jpg

Richiebalz

Paypal sent
Question: I bought a BMB-OB from a board bro. I love the glove except he opened up the heel and removed the padding. I'm guessing he thought it would be easier to close. I've done a few rounds of conditioning and the glove is game ready. I do want to open it up and add some padding. Any suggestions on where and what type of padding to get? Thanks in advance.....

I'm assuming he means on the palm side where the glove hinges. If you don't pound these laces out, since they are such tight turns, it can lead to a hard and uncomfortable lump inside the glove near the pinky.

palmhinge_zpse6f50909.jpg

DIRTY 30

That pic is exactly right. Glove manufacturers use a special lace for the palm that has been shaved to about 1/4 of the thickness of the lace available to us. As a result, it tends to arch when we lace with the standard thickness stuff.

A Cy 617

Dad, Fire fighter, bat flipper.
This thread is irrelevant when you can just pay dirty30 to do all the dirty work for a small fee :)

DIRTY 30

Lol, thanks. Every man should have the know-how in my opinion. It's a very fun little hobby and you can be the coolest dad in the world when you put your child's favorite or team colors on their mitt!

vespr

The Veteran
I actually do the thumb and pinkie laces first, as I've found that some patterns require me to really reach inside to thread the laces through, and the heel and palm lacing can sometimes prevent me from reaching far enough inside. I then move to the palm, then heel, then web, and finally the fingers. Where do you get the beeswax for the palm goo? Is the adhesive just beeswax, or is it made up of a combination of things?