One Hour Per Day.

Benny775

Addicted to Softballfans
Hey Guys:

Need some help putting together a cardio/weight training routine. I can do 1 hour per day in the mornings before I go to work.

My main focus is to lose 50 lbs. I have had a lot of success losing weight in the past, my problem is I have a hard time keeping it off.

I would also like to get stronger. I am not too interested in building a "Perfect" body, More interested in being really strong.

One more thing, I have a tendency of being fanatical, going way overboard with this type of stuff and after 6 months, burning myself out, and falling off of the diet/exercise wagon. I want to make this thing stick this time. I want to make changes that I can sustain, that will make me a happier, healthier person.

So, my question is this: What would you do with 1 hour a day? 30 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of weight training? Or would I be better off spending the whole hour doing cardio?

I've also toyed with the idea of doing Nothing but cardio until the weight is off, and then switching over to weight training.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance.

izy1027

Star Player
Definately don't do just cardio. You need weight training to maintain the muscle you have if you will be in a calorie defecit. If you do not weight train and consume protein and amino acids you will not only lose fat weight, but also lose muscle weight. I lost 30 pounds by cutting out fried foods and making sure I didn't eat any processed carbs. Aka white bread and rice. I would honestly look into p90x. I don't use it every day but the exercises I have learned have taught me how to build my own workout. I mainly do lunges, squats, push ups, and pull ups. When I was in high school I was about 20 percent body fat and now I am under 10 percent. (I am almost 20) I am now the fastest guy on my team and play in the outfield. :)

A little tip, try to avoid doing cardio before you have strength trained that day. I do cardio after I lift to burn fat and keep myself energized during lifting. (cardio uses a lot of stored energy in muscle and fat)

Try lifting for 45-50 minutes and do some jogging, or any type of cardio workout, for the 10 to 15 minutes left of your time.

I eat oatmeal with peanut butter mixed in for breakfast (for energy) and always try to have a protein shake sometime during the day, usually within 30 minutes after my workouts. (Helps you heal and stregthen)

I know it seems overwhelming at first but I have adopted the eating habits into my lifestyle and I have never had trouble staying fit.

I know you are more of a power hitter so make sure you build up your legs and do upper body exercises also.

Goodluck my friend.

Benny775

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks for your input!!!! Is 15 minutes of cardio per day enough to burn fat? I mean, I'm not a complete noob to this thing, I know it's like 80% Diet, and any cardio is better than no cardio. I've just always thought that Cardio was how to lose weight? Maybe this is why I have struggled to keep it off over the years?

izy1027

Star Player
I don't blame you, the popular opinion is that cardio burns fat= losing weight, strength training builds muscle= gaining weight. It is soooo much more complex than that. Strength training burns more calories than cardio does most of the time if you have a quick pace. If you use your muscles your body will keep them and build and nourish itself. The bottom line is that calories have to add and subtract in your favor for your body to do what you want it to. You can lose weight by lifting, if you eat less than you are burning. Look at Lance Armstrong, or any long distance athlete, all they do is cardio and he is as thin as a human can get. Don't do just cardio. The 45 minutes of lifting can burn more calories than cardio with the added bonus of having your muscles develop. Cardio helps your heart and blood vessels to remain healthy. Technically a fast paced strength drill is cardio because your heart is working. ;)

Concentrate and building your muscles while eating clean and the results and fat loss will follow. :)

Last edited:

izy1027

Star Player
Oh, and btw, every pound of muscle in your body makes your resting metabolism 100 calories stronger. People can't maintain their weight loss results because the weight they lose on these yo yo diets is a lot of times muscle, crashing your metabolism. Keep up the lifting and your metabolism won't crash, thus maintaining your results.

Jigokumimi

Addicted to Softballfans
Try lifting for 45-50 minutes and do some jogging, or any type of cardio workout, for the 10 to 15 minutes left of your time.
Yes, this is solid.
Cardio's going to be very good for you (both weight loss and your ball game) - but focus on extending your max effort, not just seeing how long you can jog or whatever. In a game, the longest you'll ever have to run hard is, what, 20 seconds? So get your body used to that, and base your cardio around something like the Tabata protocols (4 minutes, eight sets of 20 seconds MAX effort, 10 seconds rest). Good luck!

CAJones17

Addicted to Softballfans
I think I've read some where you willnburn more calories doing 15 min cardio, 45 min weights than you will 45 cardio 15 min weights, has to with upping resting metabolic rate. More muscles=more calories burned througout the day

izy1027

Star Player
I think I've read some where you willnburn more calories doing 15 min cardio, 45 min weights than you will 45 cardio 15 min weights, has to with upping resting metabolic rate. More muscles=more calories burned througout the day

Yep, that's what I was just saying. :)

TW25

Addicted to Softballfans
Hey Guys:

Need some help putting together a cardio/weight training routine. I can do 1 hour per day in the mornings before I go to work.

My main focus is to lose 50 lbs. I have had a lot of success losing weight in the past, my problem is I have a hard time keeping it off.

I would also like to get stronger. I am not too interested in building a "Perfect" body, More interested in being really strong.

One more thing, I have a tendency of being fanatical, going way overboard with this type of stuff and after 6 months, burning myself out, and falling off of the diet/exercise wagon. I want to make this thing stick this time. I want to make changes that I can sustain, that will make me a happier, healthier person.

So, my question is this: What would you do with 1 hour a day? 30 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of weight training? Or would I be better off spending the whole hour doing cardio?

I've also toyed with the idea of doing Nothing but cardio until the weight is off, and then switching over to weight training.

IMO you should look into P90X. It will tell you exactly what to eat and the workouts are mostly 50ish min., except for the Yoga which is like 1.5 hrs. This would get you 3-4 days or cardio and 2-3 days of strength training, depending on which program you choose.

You'll get in better shape, get stronger and lose weight. This will be the most productive and effective way to spend 1 hour per day IMO.

skew12

Mark Rippetoe's starting strength With a mix of HIIT cardio. Worked great for me a few years ago. Or of course p90x.

You def should keep the weight training, concentrate on multiple sets w high reps. Supersets will also burn serious calories while saving time and adding strength gains. Remember you can dedicate a few days two weights and few to cardio, they do not have to be combined everyday, also allow a day or two of rest so yer body can repair damaged tissue. As far as your diet, which is just as important is to realize if your in this for the long haul don't "diet" instead create a ""healthier lifestyle" that you can manage long term. I.e. if you love pizza pick 1 or 2 days out of the month you can enjoy it.....you only live once, love the way you live it. Hopes this helps.

EvanSinc69

Addicted to Softballfans
Buddy of mine has lost over 130 lbs, he swears by the ab roller, and just cut back on the fried chicken and beer. His nickname is Man-Cans, very inspirational dude! Outstanding softball player, never takes a pinch runner!

acm807

Addicted to Softballfans
Hey Guys:

Monday-Upper body high volume. (2 or 3 sets of 15 reps)
Tuesday-Lower body low volume. (3 sets of 5)
Wednesday-60 min. cardio. (fat burning zone. HR around 120ish)
Thursday-Upper body low volume. (3 sets of 5)
Friday-Lower body high volume. (2 or 3 sets of 15 reps)

upper body-2 workouts for chest and back. 1 workout for shoulders, bi's, and tri's.
lower body-2 workouts for quads, 2 for hammies, 1 for calves.

high volume days stick to DB/bodyweight type movements.
low volume days stick to compound lifts as much as possible. (bench, squat, deadlift, military press)

5 minute cardio warmup before lifting, and 5 minute cardio cooldown after lifting.

DIET, DIET, DIET, AND DIET is key to success!

just my .2 my man! good luck and stick with whatever you decide to do!

Benny775

Addicted to Softballfans
Monday-Upper body high volume. (2 or 3 sets of 15 reps)
Tuesday-Lower body low volume. (3 sets of 5)
Wednesday-60 min. cardio. (fat burning zone. HR around 120ish)
Thursday-Upper body low volume. (3 sets of 5)
Friday-Lower body high volume. (2 or 3 sets of 15 reps)

upper body-2 workouts for chest and back. 1 workout for shoulders, bi's, and tri's.
lower body-2 workouts for quads, 2 for hammies, 1 for calves.

high volume days stick to DB/bodyweight type movements.
low volume days stick to compound lifts as much as possible. (bench, squat, deadlift, military press)

5 minute cardio warmup before lifting, and 5 minute cardio cooldown after lifting.

DIET, DIET, DIET, AND DIET is key to success!

just my .2 my man! good luck and stick with whatever you decide to do!

Thanks Man!!!! This is very helpful!!!!!

mikejp1987

The Veteran
I lost 50 pounds doing just cardio and diet. Now I wish I added more strength training in. Although I'm alot thinner I'm lacking a lot on the strength side. Got to get back to the gym and build up some muscles now. Might as well do it right the first time I guess.

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
Hey Guys:

You bring up how you often get burnt out from doing this type of stuff. I would not suggest 5 days a week if that's the case. Losing weight slower, but keeping it off is going to be better than what you've been doing in the past.

Going 3 days a week(maybe 4) and not getting burnt out is going to be a lot more beneficial.

Silly String

Addicted to Softballfans
Weightlifting + cardio on off days would be vastly superior to P90x type work outs in the long run IMO. If you are limited on time & want softball effective strength focus on compound lifts like squats, deadlifts, cleans, bench, military presses, bent over rows & pullups. You can throw in dips & curls for the vanity factor & some sort of forearm exercises for softball use. I highly recommend Mark Rippetoe's stuff as well since it is a time saver for the dude that doesn't have 8 hours per week to work out. If you don't have a background in stregth training, make sure you spend at least 1 hour looking at youtube vids of Rippetoe or other trustworthy lifters exhibiting proper form. Be extra careful & start lighter than usual on exercises utilizing your back such as squats, deadlifts, cleans & rows. You can always work your way heavier when you master the proper form and always back off the weight if your form suffers as you become very susceptible to injury. Here is another useful site with a great exercise glossary: http://www.exrx.net/Exercise.html

Finally & most importantly, I don't think I saw this mentioned anywhere else: EAT 1 GRAM OF PROTEIN PER POUND OF BODYWEIGHT DAILY. This should constitute about 40-50% of you daily caloric intake during periods of diet. This will help prevent muscle loss during periods of a caloric deficit and help gain muscle during periods of even to positive caloric intake.